Marc Bergevin: Our fearless leader? - Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The "Blow it all up" part was meant for the whole management and coaching staff. Beyond incompetent.
Not one man, save for poetry (maybe), can make an outlet pass to a forward for a breakout play. This team has gotten immensely slow to play against.
When a team whose identity was their speed doesn't have any speed, it means they have no identity. Hald the D can't keep up with today's NHL, and 3/4 of our forwards can't score.
So, when you say, "We've got a good set of improving forwards", I can't help but laugh at that statement.
Drouin has 2 goals....2 GOALS! The guy has regressed so much that no one would pay a 5th rd pick to acquire him.
Lehky, I don't care if he "works hard"; he can't score. He's not an NHL player. He needs to go back to Europe if he wants to find success.
Byron overpaid and too beat up.
Danault, even though he's been playing "decent" defensive hockey. You can't count on him to score in big games.

As for the coaching staff, I get that they have a tough schedule that's super-condensed, but they're not the only one! Other teams managed to get proper practices in to help implement proper strategies. All I see every game are players who have no idea what they're supposed to do once they have the puck or when their linemate has the puck.
Don't @ me saying, "He didn't have a proper training camp..." boo friggin hoo. The other 30 teams didn't either.

This entire team needs a MAJOR shakeup that needs to start at the very top. MB NEEDS to go.

"This team is built for the playoffs. Just wait" Stop. Just, stop.
Had this been a normal season, we'd see about 20-25 teams ahead of them in the overall standings.

Blow.
It.
Up.
That I can get behind for sure. Get a new GM and make Bouchard the coach.

I've defended Timmins as a victim of the MB regime and still feel that way. If he's replaced though... so be it. I'd keep him but totally understand if he's gone to.

As for your comments on the forwards. Most of the criticisms you gave were on the bottom six guys. They are completely disposable. And speaking of disposable, that goes for Drouin too.

I'm happy with the young centers and the rest of our wingers though, esp if you add CC to that group. It's the best set of forwards we've had in a long, long time. Unfortunately, the D is as bad as I've ever seen. With Weber playing the way he has it's just as bad as it was in 2018. Absolutely dreadful.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
You can win a majority of your traded, when you lose one big time, your team will suffer for years.

Trading a future top 3 D-man in Sergatchev who is on a ELC and is a puck-moving, fast, skilled for a winger.

Ill admit that Drouin have one of the most important asset with this franchise, he speaks French:nod::thumbd::huh:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It's Benchbrawl, but now his name doesn't come up when I try to tag him, so he probably changed username after I tagged him last week, referring to the last time he called him a maestro in the Stall trade thread.

He's like Bergevin's biggest Stan

He now hides away in obscure OT threads

If you see a new poster name you haven't seen before and he's throwing major garbagevin pompoms around, make sure to look up his username history in the profile, it might just be benchbrawl!

Edit: lol, I went to my bookmarks :naughty: and this is his new username: @zffssk

Do a poster search with the word Maestro, you'll find plenty of posts where he gave him that moniker.

2E6A9281-DDFC-4D33-9D0A-D18F1A8637E9.jpeg

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
You can win a majority of your traded, when you lose one big time, your team will suffer for years.

Trading a future top 3 D-man in Sergatchev who is on a ELC and is a puck-moving, fast, skilled for a winger.

Ill admit that Drouin have one of the most important asset with this franchise, he speaks French:nod::thumbd::huh:
Winning trades is overrated. I don't care if you lose all your trades but if it helps your team winning, you're a good GM. MB might have won most of his trades, but the objective is not to win trades but to win the Cup or have the chance to win it... he never came close to achieving that.

Sometimes, you need to overpay in order to get the player your team needs... something MB was and still is never willing to do.

MB has no clue how to build a winning team, he had 9 years with an unlimited budget to do it and it never came even close. Get this guy out and rebuild was should have been done 9 years ago...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
as yet another MB roster crumbles when it counts and gets exposed for the mediocre construction that, some, saw from the outset, it's worth re-stating that the only thing that really matters is seeing the team drive towards building a contender.

I couldn't care less "who" is in the GM chair... have nothing against MB the person, whom i don't know (though i do dislike many of the things he's said and how he's treated many of the high character athletes/people in the organization)... but it is abundantly clear, and has been for years, that he does not have the competency or ability to succeed in this role. He is a bad GM. Period. We need a serious updgrade in that role IF contending is the objective.

how much more evidence is needed? curious to see how many posters still justifying/making excuses for his terrible tenure and decision-making will be left after yet another step in the wrong direction?

from what we have in place now... a good gm could very well get us on track in 2-3 seasons... but another year of MB's poor roster/contract decisions will just push that futher down the road

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
thinking back on those "GM of the year" threads" ... :laugh:

MB is just high volume. makes a lot of moves, and some of them are good (Anderson, Toffoli), but MANY more are just terrible (Drouin, Price, Weber and ill stop there)

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Winning trades is overrated. I don't care if you lose all your trades but if it helps your team winning, you're a good GM. MB might have won most of his trades, but the objective is not to win trades but to win the Cup or have the chance to win it... he never came close to achieving that.

Sometimes, you need to overpay in order to get the player your team needs... something MB was and still is never willing to do.

MB has no clue how to build a winning team, he had 9 years with an unlimited budget to do it and it never came even close. Get this guy out and rebuild was should have been done 9 years ago...
Imo, the moment we acquired Weber. That was the signal to overpay during i would say 1/2 years. That said. No Poehling, no KK. But at the end. We would maybe won a cup. Who knows. The window was there. Right now, weber and price need to leave. Ive always been a defender for both player. But today, they are too old. It is not gonna be a full rebuild. I mean, I think there is some nice player who are coming down the road. But. We will need cap space soon then someone need to leave

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
I was refering to hockey trade. Of course if you trade Iginla but win the cup, no one cares.

Problem is, he didnt try to go all-in once,
And never fully rebuild. Pick a side either way. First 2 years after acquiring Weber was to go all-in.

Fire this guy!

Winning trades is overrate. I don't care if you lose all your trades but if it helps your team winning, you're a good GM. MB might have won most of his trades, but the objective is not to win trades but to win the Cup or have the chance to win it... he never came close to achieving that.

Mike Towers

Aug 8, 2019
Bergervin the clown had his job saved last year by Price with his .947% save percentage vs the Penguins in the play in.

Reactions: BLONG7

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I hate to defend Bergevin, but the Leafs also got lucky by winning the lottery and getting a franchise player and also being Toronto and getting John Tavares. If either of those things don't happen, the Leafs aren't anywhere near as good as they are now.

I still think Bergevin needs to go, but comparing the two isn't totally apples to apples.
They won the lottery but they tanked hard for a top pick while rebuilding. Something Bergevin hasn't had the balls to do. Couple that with never acquiring any 1st rounders and "building through the draft" while homeboy Timmins swings and misses, he's the epitome of building eternal mediocrity.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
In retrospect we should have just hired Savard and let him groom someone into the role. We've had to sit through all of Bergy's growing pains and he still hasn't learned anything.

Reactions: BLONG7

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
In retrospect we should have just hired Savard and let him groom someone into the role. We've had to sit through all of Bergy's growing pains and he still hasn't learned anything.
Groom what? How to become an alcoholic? How to spend your day job trying to find the best horses to buy or the best construction project to invest in?

Reactions: overlords

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I wouldn't go that far with how we have played Calgary this year. 1-3-0 with 5 games left, 3 of which are in Calgary. 7.5 games ahead today, with those 5 games worth 10, Calgary can catch up and go ahead. But yes, the Habs are in good position with Calgary continuing to lose and now Vancouver essentially f***ed for the rest of the year.

I'm going to leave this here and see where we fall after tomorrows game.

At the time of that post we had a 7.5 game advantage, it's now 5.5. If Calgary wins tomorrow, that lead falls to 3.5 with another 3 games to play against that team that has beat up Ducharmes system easily.

The Habs are still in good position, but if Calgary wins the next 4 against Montreal in regulation, the Habs will need to play better than .500 to stay in a playoff spot.

Back up to 7.5 games. It’s crazy how it sways so quickly in head to head.

6.5 games ahead now. Let's see where this stands at 10pm EST tonight.

4.5 games now. Could be as close as 2.5 after Monday night. The Habs have been down right terrible. Who could have predicted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce