Marc Bergevin - Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Taveres is a star...but it's still not enough. Our D is also a big problem. The ship is full of holes.
Superstar but yes, you need defense to win also which is another of the many issues the team has. Add the fact that it would likely take $11M-$12M to sign him which would mean having over $20M between him and Price alone.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Not about feelings or agents. Markov played 990 games for this team, never entertained other teams when he was a UFA and was still playing at a high level. You can’t belive what you just posted can you?

It's always a 2-way street...Markov was treated well over the years by the CH imo...there were times when he was injured more than he played but he was always paid fairly.

That being said, we only know what we here about how the negotiations went, but it sounds like MB had a number and wasn't willing to talk about it. And that's fine if that's the way you want to 'negotiate'. He ended up losing the player so in the end he got his way, but the results haven't supported that decision to let Markie go.

Agent or not, the player didn't sign. Feelings get hurt, sure...but it didn't sound like MB had much interest in Markie anyway. Anyway if you ask me, Markie is better off not being here.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Superstar but yes, you need defense to win also which is another of the many issues the team has. Add the fact that it would likely take $11M-$12M to sign him which would mean having over $20M between him and Price alone.

I don't care as much about the money to be honest...if a player is worth it then I pay him. I had no issue paying PK 9 million because he brought it. I think Price is worth his salary, but we haven't surrounded him with enough help. Even Crosby needed help. Everyone does. So in some dreamworld where we are actually thinking Tavares could come here I have no problem paying him that cash. But yes, it would present challenges with the cap...so we'd have to find players being underpaid - which are usually players that have been drafted and haven't hit their pay potential - which we don't have a lot of.

But getting Tavares means guys like Drouin and Galchenyuk get pushed down the depth chart...and that's how you win imo.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Much like Radulov, Bergevin did not treat Markov like a priority. Even after admitting he couldn't replace him on the roster. He cared more about his precious cap management than keeping the club together. Markov is missing on the blueline, on the powerplay, and in the locker room. But hey, Bergevin got his cap management.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I still can't believe Moslon is going to let this guy keep his job and make the decisions at the trade deadline.

It's sickening.
Why aren't the so called tough media making more of this? We all see it, but not them?? WTF? Bergevin for the past 3 seasons, has been a disaster...

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Why aren't the so called tough media making more of this? We all see it, but not them?? WTF? Bergevin for the past 3 seasons, has been a disaster...

Similar to my other post, if they ask the tough questions they won't get access to which their jobs depends on .

Don't bite the hand that feeds in this case.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Hey Optimus, no idea where you can get these numbers from.

What do Price’s numbers look like over his past 6-7 years?
I was offline for a couple of days.

NHL Stats, History, Scores, & Records | Hockey-Reference.com Great site.

Price's career numbers thus far:

Age 20 .920 / 13.46
21 .905 / -4.55
22 .912 / 1.38
23 .923 / 22.04
24 .916 / 5.49
25 .905 / -7.34
26 .927 / 23.51
27 .933 / 36.70
28 .934 / 7.08 (short season, injured)
29 .923 / 17.25
30 .906 / -8.56 (no way to spin this, just plain crap)

His QS% number is a career low this season, too, at a putrid .462.

If you didn't have the name attached, you'd think this is a streaky goalie who got crazy hot for a ~2-3 year span and is in no way worth an 8-figure salary.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Similar to my other post, if they ask the tough questions they won't get access to which their jobs depends on .

Don't bite the hand that feeds in this case.

That shouldn't matter anymore. Bergevin is on the hot seat. You'll sell more newspapers to start attacking the organization. If you get limited on access it's okay, there will be new management in the near future, especially since Molson reads the paper.

If it's anything, it's cowardice. These aren't 22 year old bloggers. These are 40-50 something veteran reporters kissing the ring. The kind that need to be given early retirements and replaced with young kids who don't care about access. They will create their own.

Reactions: Pickles

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

The Canadiens own the media. Simple as that. Bell Media (BCE) also owns an 18% stake in the Canadiens when they took over the team from George Gillett in 2012.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I was offline for a couple of days.

NHL Stats, History, Scores, & Records | Hockey-Reference.com Great site.

Price's career numbers thus far:

Age 20 .920 / 13.46
21 .905 / -4.55
22 .912 / 1.38
23 .923 / 22.04
24 .916 / 5.49
25 .905 / -7.34
26 .927 / 23.51
27 .933 / 36.70
28 .934 / 7.08 (short season, injured)
29 .923 / 17.25
30 .906 / -8.56 (no way to spin this, just plain crap)

His QS% number is a career low this season, too, at a putrid .462.

If you didn't have the name attached, you'd think this is a streaky goalie who got crazy hot for a ~2-3 year span and is in no way worth an 8-figure salary.
Awesome thanks.

I’ve been on Hockey Reference so many times, never saw this. Then again, sometimes it’s hard to understand the legend, if it hasn’t been explained.

I suspect his 26 and 27 age will represent his peak.

I’m curious to see how often he’ll have great seasons, or if the yo-yo like seasons continue.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
This is what I do not understand when it comes to the relationships between Montreal and the Media.....
Why the hell would a Owner honestly care what those F**kwads think about the team/him.

RDS needs the Habs way more then the Habs need RDS.

As we can clearly see, icing a sub-standard product for multiple seasons has only scratched at the attendance /profits of the habs. He's still making money so why can't he grow a pair , Fire Marc and tell RDS to go pound salt.

Two things happen,
1) RDS runs some sort of BS smear campaign and basically makes up a bunch of bull**** . Fans will hopefully see past it and label it as #fakenews (which it probably is).
2) RDS shuts up, gets in line because if they start speaking ill of the regime, they will get restricted access or outright blocked in favor of the more friendly news outlets.

Molson/Habs have all the power in this relationship. They already do it now, you ask bergie too hard of questions or make him look like the idiot we all know he is, you won't get invited back.

Molson isn't firing Bergie out of fear of RDS backlash thats for sure.

Do I have this all wrong ?? Does the media have more sway in MTL then I think?

I mostly agree with this and in most markets and business scenarios it would be true but there are some distinctions from my observations:

"RDS needs the Habs way more then the Habs need RDS."
IMO RDS does not see it this way, rather they regard themselves as the unofficial braintrust of the organization.

"RDS runs some sort of BS smear campaign and basically makes up a bunch of bull**** . Fans will hopefully see past it and label it as #fakenews (which it probably is)."
The smear campaigns of the past have been effective, especially when they pull out their ace in the hole which is language. Remember the Cunneyworth fiasco when Molson kowtowed to protests and publicly apologized for his temp coach pick's language?

RDS shuts up, gets in line because if they start speaking ill of the regime, they will get restricted access or outright blocked in favor of the more friendly news outlets.
The Habs' provincial audience is 95% unilingual French with few other major media options. RDS is in their homes every night, they have that market sewn up. Plus they sell Molson's beer.

I think it's going to take a groundswell of frustration to get the Qc media to properly turn on Bergy. Only then can Molson do the right thing without risk to the brand and his other business interests.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
If the habs sign tavares this summer are they a contender?

Forget it... Tavares is NOT and will NEVER come to montreal...especially with this dysfunctional team we have..

Anyone think he is coming are the same people who thought stamkos was coming lol

This is all a way to negotiate his next contract

Tavares is staying put where he is...His team is better than Montreal and yet they are having a hard time making the playoffs with tavares...if he were to come to montreal it wouldnt make a difference...we are losers

by the way, did i say Tavares will NEVER come to montreal...you guys truly believe this?

And our chances to draft Dahlin are very very small

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Forget it... Tavares is NOT and will NEVER come to montreal...especially with this dysfunctional team we have..

Anyone think he is coming are the same people who thought stamkos was coming lol

This is all a way to negotiate his next contract

Tavares is staying put where he is...His team is better than Montreal and yet they are having a hard time making the playoffs with tavares...if he were to come to montreal it wouldnt make a difference...we are losers

by the way, did i say Tavares will NEVER come to montreal...you guys truly believe this?

And our chances to draft Dahlin are very very small
This team is at least 3 years of tanking/rebuilding away from maybe having a contending team.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
That shouldn't matter anymore. Bergevin is on the hot seat. You'll sell more newspapers to start attacking the organization. If you get limited on access it's okay, there will be new management in the near future, especially since Molson reads the paper.

If it's anything, it's cowardice. These aren't 22 year old bloggers. These are 40-50 something veteran reporters kissing the ring. The kind that need to be given early retirements and replaced with young kids who don't care about access. They will create their own.

This is where we disagree. Is it cowardice to want to provide food on the table for your family and a roof over their heads? It is not the montreal media's job to get the team's management to do the right thing! If a team is more interested in pandering to what the media says or doesn't say then it is not focused on success.

And who says that Bergevin is on the hotseat? Bergevin's extension ends in 2022. A pigheaded owner could very well keep MB around for another 2-3 years. If a reporter gets his access revoked that a heck of a long time to be without access. Hard to be a sports reporter when you can't even get access to the local team. No, it is the Montreal Canadiens Oranization that is to blame for instilling such a toxic and suffocating environment.

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016
I mostly agree with this and in most markets and business scenarios it would be true but there are some distinctions from my observations:

"RDS needs the Habs way more then the Habs need RDS."
IMO RDS does not see it this way, rather they regard themselves as the unofficial braintrust of the organization.

"RDS runs some sort of BS smear campaign and basically makes up a bunch of bull**** . Fans will hopefully see past it and label it as #fakenews (which it probably is)."
The smear campaigns of the past have been effective, especially when they pull out their ace in the hole which is language. Remember the Cunneyworth fiasco when Molson kowtowed to protests and publicly apologized for his temp coach pick's language?

RDS shuts up, gets in line because if they start speaking ill of the regime, they will get restricted access or outright blocked in favor of the more friendly news outlets.
The Habs' provincial audience is 95% unilingual French with few other major media options. RDS is in their homes every night, they have that market sewn up. Plus they sell Molson's beer.

I think it's going to take a groundswell of frustration to get the Qc media to properly turn on Bergy. Only then can Molson do the right thing without risk to the brand and his other business interests.

I'd agree that RDS sees themselves that way. Doesn't mean they are right, but ya I agree.
The smear campaign was successful because they were able to draw in the language thing on cunnyworth combined with a bad season (hence why he was in that place). If they have no way to pull the french card on MB being replaced with another french speaking GM (Julian B.) then that falls apart. They bring in an english speaking GM, well ya I would assume they will lose their minds and start throwing feces like angry monkeys at a zoo.

RDS shuts up point: I honesty had no idea, I suppose I was using point 1 in that RDS needs the habs more then Habs needs RDS.

I think molson could swap MB for a JB and face little backlash on it. I do not watch RDS however, so I'll take your word that RDS are super pro MB and would get all pissy should he be replaced.

I do have one question, are they pro MB because they actually like MB or are they pro MB because hes the habs GM and are actually PRO habs ? Any french GM would do fine here?

Also good debate :highclap:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
:laugh:........maybe Markov will let his agent do the negotiating next time, let the big boys handle it so his feelings don't get hurt.

Or maybe next time Bergevin doesn’t play some prideful game of chicken to the detriment of the team.

An experienced NHL GM should be able to deal with an unrepresented player, especially one who is known to the organization.

Censored Toad

Aug 8, 2016

Lol here are a couple of gems that I cherry picked from the article.

"It’s frustrating,” captain Max Pacioretty said after Thursday night’s 5-3 loss to the Flyers. “We feel like this is a position we didn’t deserve to be in, but it’s the position we’re in. We were a good team last year, we felt like we should have been a playoff team this year.”

LoL. Max you can thank marc for this.

Then this gem acutally made me LOL.
As Pacioretty said: “We’re just going to keep fighting until the end.”\

Turns out bergie isn't the only fighter in the Habs org.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Not about feelings or agents. Markov played 990 games for this team, never entertained other teams when he was a UFA and was still playing at a high level. You can’t belive what you just posted can you?
Just wait, as the day goes along more will come. If you pump the tires of a failed GM you have to make comments that defy logic. Markov would still be one of the best defenders on this team even at 39 but we didn't need him? We needed Alzner, Benn and Schlemko because well ehm well, they are just better because our GM said so.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think they said this last night in the post-game on 690 but I agree... if we have a quiet TDL (Plekanec is the obvious move), I could see Bergevin fired at the end of the season. Not because he didn't do much at the TDL but more his power was removed and couldn't do much at the TDL.

That said, I hate to say it but I really believe Bergevin is going to be given one more season to turn this around. Not saying i want this or if it's a smart move, but if Bergevin shows his mug at the year-end post-mortem, he is here to stay.

Hearing that Pacioretty might get traded at the draft gave me some hope. I fear that he stays but I am holding out a tiny bit of hope that he is gone at seasons end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig