Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
The funniest man on earth. He knows.

giphy.gif

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm not pissed because they don't say anything about their plan, I don't care about the plan coming from the minds who thought Subban was in the same tier as Del Zotto and spent the last 6 years pursuing players this team had no needs for (Alzner,Hemsky, Streit, Semin, Scrivens, Ott, King, Martinsen, PAP, Brière, Murray, Shaw, Benn... Jesus Christ why this list is so long already...). I don't care about their plan and I rather not know cause it's going to be dumb anyway, I'm tilted by the fact that they are still allowed to have a plan. Why this is happening? When enough will finally be enough?

At this point it has devolved into a sad comedy which would be less shameful if it was done on purpose, for the laughs, but unfortunately, it seems that their intentions are genuine, just as much as their incompetance is also.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
The Shaw acquisition is just even worst and shows how stupid this GM is. "He is a Cup winner". Yep. So is Ed Ronan. Is Wayne Simmonds a bad player 'cause he hasn't won a Cup? Shaw winning a Cup means nothing unless being at the right place at the right time means something. That's what Bergevin said....5 seasons, 2 Cups. That's as deep an analysis as Subban for Weber because..it's Shea Weber. Don't people see the stupidity here? On top of scouts saying how the word around the NHL was that Shaw was more a 30 years old than a 25 years old...with shoulders being extremely damaged already? And we gave 2 2nd rounders for that....just wow people....

Hey based on his Shaw evaluation.....why is Price and Gallagher and Pacioretty and Co not traded yet? How many cups have they won?

I understand and share the anger regarding most of MB's work in the last 2 years, But i'll take shaw's defense just like I did with prust and emelin. The guy shows up and cares, it just comes down to the cap hit -which is high, i agree, just like the other two - but slot him on the right spot on a 3rd line and he's a guy we can go to war with. Yes we overpaid, yes he's overpaid, but I personally like what he brings to the table and I would not want to trade him unless we get a good return. Imho he's not part of the problem and can still be part of the solution.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I understand and share the anger regarding most of MB's work in the last 2 years, But i'll take shaw's defense just like I did with prust and emelin. The guy shows up and cares, it just comes down to the cap hit -which is high, i agree, just like the other two -

I don't think the problem is the cap hit at all. It's the number of years and what we gave for him. Emelin's contract was 4 years only. Prust i think was 3 years. You can always easily trade a player with 1 year left unless he is very old or very lazy which was not the case with Prust or Emelin and neither is the case with Shaw. So when the contract is 3 or 4 years that means at worst you have to keep the players 2 or 3 years. I mean the guy doesn't have to be worth (almost) his contract for along time.

My problem with Shaw is not the 3.9 millions. I can live with this. He's a good 3rd liner who can help on a 2nd line when there's injuries. My main problem is what we gave for him. Two high 2nd round picks in a draft with good depth. My 2nd problem is the number of years. 6 years is very long for a guy who is hard on his body. Finally and probably even more importantly he was not really a need. Our best prospects were almost all wingers. Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Reway, Gheto, Carr, BigMac (imo). I mean the chances for none of those guys to at least become a 3rd line winger were almost nil. We needed to refill our pool of prospects AT LOT more than we needed to add a 3rd line winger. I don't dislike Shaw but his leadership and character are grossly overrated. He's a nice deluxe 3rd line winger but that's all imo he's no Guy Carbonneau.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Of course the darkest period in Habs history (1995-2018~) will be capped off with the reign of the worst General Manager in team history.

Unbelievable how he managed to completely destroy the entire organizational roster, as well as totally corrupt nearly every position in front office with incompetent friends and 'yes men'. That's pretty impressive. I mean, it seriously took a perfect storm of negligence for this to happen:

1) Clueless beta-trustfund-baby owner 2) charismatic alpha dumb-as-rocks GM, and 3) a consumer base that will always shovel loads of cash into team's pockets no matter the product.

There's no other way that this charade could have been pulled off for this long in any truly competent organization. It's pretty remarkable how deep the roots of failure have dug themselves in.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I understand and share the anger regarding most of MB's work in the last 2 years, But i'll take shaw's defense just like I did with prust and emelin. The guy shows up and cares, it just comes down to the cap hit -which is high, i agree, just like the other two - but slot him on the right spot on a 3rd line and he's a guy we can go to war with. Yes we overpaid, yes he's overpaid, but I personally like what he brings to the table and I would not want to trade him unless we get a good return. Imho he's not part of the problem and can still be part of the solution.
Prust made sense. You are taking over a team, there's some youngsters and it's an evaluation year. No problem there. Made sense and most were pleased.

Emelin, the timing of it was weird. He was coming off a season ending injury, there was no rush to extend him. Even if a bit annoying with the contract, he brought something to our defense no one else did.

Both those guys, most importantly, cost us nothing but cap.
Shaw, there was no point in getting him unless we were serious contenders, to make matters worse we have up two good picks for him.
Utterly pointless.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Prust made sense. You are taking over a team, there's some youngsters and it's an evaluation year. No problem there. Made sense and most were pleased.

Emelin, the timing of it was weird. He was coming off a season ending injury, there was no rush to extend him. Even if a bit annoying with the contract, he brought something to our defense no one else did.

Both those guys, most importantly, cost us nothing but cap.
Shaw, there was no point in getting him unless we were serious contenders, to make matters worse we have up two good picks for him.
Utterly pointless.

I respect and agree with your analysis of emelin and prust. I think prust had the most fights in the nhl 2 years in a row with us (they were almost all meaningful on top of that) . and emelin was the last dman we had that made the other teams respect our blue line.

I don't think the problem is the cap hit at all. It's the number of years and what we gave for him. Emelin's contract was 4 years only. Prust i think was 3 years. You can always easily trade a player with 1 year left unless he is very old or very lazy which was not the case with Prust or Emelin and neither is the case with Shaw. So when the contract is 3 or 4 years that means at worst you have to keep the players 2 or 3 years. I mean the guy doesn't have to be worth (almost) his contract for along time.

My problem with Shaw is not the 3.9 millions. I can live with this. He's a good 3rd liner who can help on a 2nd line when there's injuries. My main problem is what we gave for him. Two high 2nd round picks in a draft with good depth. My 2nd problem is the number of years. 6 years is very long for a guy who is hard on his body. Finally and probably even more importantly he was not really a need. Our best prospects were almost all wingers. Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Reway, Gheto, Carr, BigMac (imo). I mean the chances for none of those guys to at least become a 3rd line winger were almost nil. We needed to refill our pool of prospects AT LOT more than we needed to add a 3rd line winger. I don't dislike Shaw but his leadership and character are grossly overrated. He's a nice deluxe 3rd line winger but that's all imo he's no Guy Carbonneau.

to agree with both of you guys i know the price we paid was high. im just saying as of right now 2/9/2018, i would not want to lose shaw unless we had something good in return.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I respect and agree with your analysis of emelin and prust. I think prust had the most fights in the nhl 2 years in a row with us (they were almost all meaningful on top of that) . and emelin was the last dman we had that made the other teams respect our blue line.
Hmm..not entirely sure what it is you disagree with as I pretty much said the same thing.
I said Prust made sense as we had young kids, so bring in a scrapper like him to protect them. Makes sense.
Emelin I said the timing was bad, but brought something to our defense nobody else did. So again, I can see the logic.

We literally said the same things in slightly different wording.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Of course the darkest period in Habs history (1995-2018~) will be capped off with the reign of the worst General Manager in team history.

Unbelievable how he managed to completely destroy the entire organizational roster, as well as totally corrupt nearly every position in front office with incompetent friends and 'yes men'. That's pretty impressive. I mean, it seriously took a perfect storm of negligence for this to happen:

1) Clueless beta-trustfund-baby owner 2) charismatic alpha dumb-as-rocks GM, and 3) a consumer base that will always shovel loads of cash into team's pockets no matter the product.

There's no other way that this charade could have been pulled off for this long in any truly competent organization. It's pretty remarkable how deep the roots of failure have dug themselves in.

"Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything. Nothing is static, everything is evolving, everything is falling apart."

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
Don’t worry everyone. Bergy is going to sign Tavares in the off-season. We’re also going to win the draft lottery, and draft Dahlin. And then everyone here will be kissing his a** like when he was first hired.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad