Confirmed with Link: Marc Bergevin joins the Kings as GM consultant

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Exactly. These guys will have no problem finding work.

The only question is how soon they would want to get back into it. We know MB already got back into it. TT will, as well. As you say, most likely after the draft as even if he is hired now, he will probably not be able to participate in the next draft because he has inside info on another team's draft strategy.

Mellanby is also one of the finalists for the Vancouver GM gig.

Since when it'S been a problem finding work for guys part of the boyzclub?

It's very rare for GM and coachs in the NHL to not find a job after being fired. I mean even MT found multiple jobs .... you need to be a very big pos to not find a job once you are part of the fox hole.

Reactions: amethyst

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
Someone actually said on the main board that Bergevin was better than Benning........That's totally ridiculous....Jim Benning actually left behind most of the core pieces you need to contend......His big mistake was hitching his wagon to Travis Green........Benning is easily better than Bergevin......

Mike Milbury might even be better than Bergevin......

Reactions: BLONG7

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Good thing that Jeff the Hockey Executive was keeping a tight leash on Bergevin, between condo and suds promos.

Reactions: cphabs and BLONG7

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
thanks MB you left the habs with crap, and now you go to a new job

he should have not been able to do any deals, unless he signed. Molson you are to blame for this mess now.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

Lavoie said MB had 5 serious offers on the table.

And last night, he was already at work as he was at the Ducks/Pens match.

I don't believe that for a second. All this crap about he is well respected, BS, Lucky Luc said it and some treat it like a league wide directive. Lavoie is just pissed Gorton was hired.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
You people wonder why no on wants to play in Montreal. This guy gave his life every night he played. He bled for the team....give him a little respect!
Boulchit. Players play for whoever pays them. It's business.

Players are assets, nothing more, nothing less. You want a friend, get a dog. Gallagher's only worth is what his contract says he's worth. If his play doesn't match the dollar figure of his contract then he's an overpriced asset who needs to go. It's not personal. If fans want to get all misty-eyed over this guy or that guy they are free to do so but the Habs are trying to run a business here.

Reactions: amethyst

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It make sens though, Like him or not Bergevin had a lot of friends in the NHL and we all know that it's a small circle. I could easily see those teams interested: Winnipeg (Cheveldeyoff), Pittsburgh (Lemieux), Seattle (Ron Francis,Norm McIver), Vancouver (Mellanby is in he top 2 finalist), Minnesota (Guerin)

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I don't believe that for a second. All this crap about he is well respected, BS, Lucky Luc said it and some treat it like a league wide directive. Lavoie is just pissed Gorton was hired.
yes I think so too
he is not the right guy for Lavoie, not any of his buddies

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I would only say - Scotty Bowman took out a full page editorial highlighting MBs abilities specifically eye for talent that makes him a good GM back in 2012 translated by Yvon Pedneault in J de Mtl.

Scotty did not do so for his good friend McGuire who was rumored as a finalist for the gig in 2012. Is Scotty a moron?

Time has proven MB was very good at tactical responsibilities, specifically assessing a deal, and leveraging players on team friendly 2nd contracts (Pacioretty, Price, Eller, Gallagher) but not the entire scope of what a GMs function entails - putting right people in right jobs & holding them accountable, drafting & development, a clear vision for type of team & ensuing makeup to meet that vision etc.

Reactions: barbu and LaP

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Boulchit. Players play for whoever pays them. It's business.

Players are assets, nothing more, nothing less. You want a friend, get a dog. Gallagher's only worth is what his contract says he's worth. If his play doesn't match the dollar figure of his contract then he's an overpriced asset who needs to go. It's not personal. If fans want to get all misty-eyed over this guy or that guy they are free to do so but the Habs are trying to run a business here.
Compare him to the way we Hefty bagged Koivu to the curb because he was captain too long without a SCF. There is a guy I can get misty about. Gally is habs Holstrom, you can enjoy his play but ye does take nights off and his play has fallen off a cliff the past 2 years....right after signing Marc Burningeyes make him cry's contract.

Reactions: cphabs

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I would only say - Scotty Bowman took out a full page editorial highlighting MBs abilities specifically eye for talent that makes him a good GM back in 2012 translated by Yvon Pedneault in J de Mtl.

Scotty did not do so for his good friend McGuire who was rumored as a finalist for the gig in 2012. Is Scotty a moron?

Time has proven MB was very good at tactical responsibilities, specifically assessing a deal, and leveraging players on team friendly 2nd contracts (Pacioretty, Price, Eller, Gallagher) but not the entire scope of what a GMs function entails - putting right people in right jobs & holding them accountable, drafting & development, a clear vision for type of team & ensuing makeup to meet that vision etc.
Time has proven he built a team near the salary cap that sits in last place. Some are impressed, I am impressed that he was able to snow Molson for as long as he did, but as with every other house of cards they eventually come down. He was piss poor at his job.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Time has proven he built a team near the salary cap that sits in last place. Some are impressed, I am impressed that he was able to snow Molson for as long as he did, but as with every other house of cards they eventually come down. He was piss poor at his job.
Realistically Bergevin should have been fired after the 2018 season. I was already calling for his head before then, but after missing the playoffs for a second time in 3 seasons with no turnaround in sight we should have moved on.

Had we fired him then we might have had a chance at BriseBois, although that was unlikely given Yzerman was months away from leaving

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad