Confirmed with Link: Marc Bergevin joins the Kings as GM consultant

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
9MEyXNg.jpg
Beautiful !

I was gonna write a post about Bergevin adjusting his rear view mirror and taking one last look at the tire fire leaves behind.
Then I see Runners brilliant post summing up Marc Bergevins legacy perfectly.

He can now be the LA Kings SLY.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
It took a disaster (a worldwide pandemic) to even make that Cup run possible. Without Covid, this team would have missed the playoffs the past two seasons and Bergevin would have been fired before this season even started.

You have to stop giving Bergevin credit for a Cup run that was a one-off, unrepeatable fluke. They were a garbage team in a 56 game season with a realignment that put them into a weak enough division for them to qualify for the post-season. Then they got hot for 6 weeks. This season, when everything returned to normal, they immediately went back to being garbage. Bergevin left the team in worse shape than he found it. All he did was waste a decade. But some fans will let him hang his hat forever on that one fluke playoff run that was only made possible because of a worldwide pandemic that killed millions.
Yep you nailed it. He made some decent off season moves like aquiring Anderson, Toffoli, Allen and Perry that year but then screwed up the team so badly this past off season that it totally negated those good moves.

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Happy for MB. He did a great job here in Montreal, and I'm sure he'll do well in LA. I'm not surprised that it didn't take long for him to find a job. He's very well regarded in hockey circles, and with good reason.
I understand he will be on the Hall of Fame ballot.

Reactions: Miller Time

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Why would Danault be mad about that ? I’m sure Danault have mad respect for the guy that draft him and acquired him to give him his real 1st chance in the NHL.
He didn't draft Danault. He was a throw in for another trade. Chicago threw him in the Fleishmann and Weise trade. MB's draft record is....not great.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Oof

Thing will get worse before they get better in LA.

Unless they can flip Anze for a bounty but Berge will advise them to go for a no5 d-men with a 4m cap hit.

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Dirby Kach

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2009
MB could have been okay as Edmonton GM.
They already have the things he has no idea how to get (2 superstar 1Cs)

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He didn't draft Danault. He was a throw in for another trade. Chicago threw him in the Fleishmann and Weise trade. MB's draft record is....not great.

I believe the story is Bergevin is the one who went to bat for Danault in 2012. Bergevin always liked him and was able to get him in a trade after coming to Montreal. But I think he scouted him for the Hawks.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Danault wasn't a throw in. Danault was drafted in first round when MB was still part of the Hawks. When we acquired him he was a young center who was NHL ready and can play wing, center and well defensively.

Did they expect him to play with Max one day? That I doubt but he certainly had middle 6 C potential.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

MB wasn't the GM of the Blackhawks, but it was Bergevin who scouted Danault in Victoriaville and convinced the Blackhawks to take him in the 1st Round of the 2010 draft.

Also, Danault was not a throw-in in the Fleischmann & Weise trade. Danault was the guy MB wanted. He was the target. The 2nd round pick was an add-on that ended up being used to select Romanov.

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
I believe the story is Bergevin is the one who went to bat for Danault in 2012. Bergevin always liked him and was able to get him in a trade after coming to Montreal. But I think he scouted him for the Hawks.

He’s the one who draft him with the Hawks

My bad guys. You're likely right on that one. Him being in Chicago has totally slipped my mind.

Reactions: Vachon23

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
MB wasn't the GM of the Blackhawks, but it was Bergevin who scouted Danault in Victoriaville and convinced the Blackhawks to take him in the 1st Round of the 2010 draft.

Also, Danault was not a throw-in in the Fleischmann & Weise trade. Danault was the guy MB wanted. He was the target. The 2nd round pick was an add-on that ended up being used to select Romanov.
One of Bergevin's best trades imo. It's too bad he couldn't have signed him long term and lost him to free agency. That's been the theme of Bergevin's time as a GM. One step forward and 2 steps back that led the team nowhere.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
One of Bergevin's best trades imo. It's too bad he couldn't have signed him long term and lost him to free agency. That's been the theme of Bergevin's time as a GM. One step forward and 2 steps back that led the team nowhere.

Who knows, maybe he figured out himself that he's not cut out to be a GM, hence taking on the advisor role with a team at the same time they extend the guy they want in the main leadership role.

He's far better suited to be a complimentary contributor than the guy in charge.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Who knows, maybe he figured out himself that he's not cut out to be a GM, hence taking on the advisor role with a team at the same time they extend the guy they want in the main leadership role.

He's far better suited to be a complimentary contributor than the guy in charge.
Exactly. He's probably better off working with a GM who has a plan and vision for the team going forward. Bergevin never seemed to have a long term plan. He did a number of good to great trades but it never really came together and made us a contender long term.

Reactions: Vachon23

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia

Lavoie said MB had 5 serious offers on the table.

And last night, he was already at work as he was at the Ducks/Pens match.

Remember when everyone said he would never be wanted by anyone else?...expect similar news for Timmins but he may have to wait until after the draft as it likely he has conditions in his termination to not share Montreal's scouting info with other teams.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Remember when everyone said he would never be wanted by anyone else?...expect similar news for Timmins but he may have to wait until after the draft as it likely he has conditions in his termination to not share Montreal's scouting info with other teams.

Exactly. These guys will have no problem finding work.

The only question is how soon they would want to get back into it. We know MB already got back into it. TT will, as well. As you say, most likely after the draft as even if he is hired now, he will probably not be able to participate in the next draft because he has inside info on another team's draft strategy.

Mellanby is also one of the finalists for the Vancouver GM gig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad