News Article: Marc Bergevin Drops The Ball As Canadiens Lose Alexei Emelin

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
While I agree with you in a certain way (I would have like a top 4 dman signed through next year like klesla), you are missing a key point in what everyone else is arguing here. Would Regher, Murray or Redden (lol!) really be that much of an upgrade over Drewiske?

Especially when taking into account the picks they sent for these guys. Bergy believes the juice wasn't worth the squeeze... and maybe Drew will surprise you. He didn't trade him for nothing. They got him because they believe he can be an asset to the habs

and also taking into consideration that emelin was pretty terrible these last few weeks, how much worse can Drew be? We will find out haha.

At least some here who presents valid counter points.
Yes, we will find out if Drew can step up his game... If he does Bergevin looks like a genius!
I keep hearing that DEFENCE wins championships... if that's true the Habs chances of winning this year is took a bit of a hit with our D.

onemorecup*

Disagree entirely.

We've seen Tinordi and Beaulieu play well in their call-ups. They are next in line, they will get valuable experience, just as this year is designed to do. We have Diaz on the cusp of returning and two D-men in Weber and Kaberle who have played regular NHL shifts over the years.

Trading 2 x 2nd round picks to get ****** defensemen like Regehr and Leopold would not have been smart for a team sticking to a rebuild/restructure and culture change plan that seems further along than any one could have thought.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap: agreed

its like Gauthier picking up Kabbie and how did that turn out :laugh::laugh:

we got a decent d on the cheap for a fifth round pick ..great move

plus its time Tinordi gets in the lineup permanently

pine*

Would people be as disappointed if we had done all our moves on deadline day?

e.g. traded Cole for Ryder + 3rd, traded nothing for Halpern and picked up Drewiske for a 5th

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, those 3 GM's can't hear what you're saying because 'they have their stanley cup rings plugging their ears'. :laugh:

Well they each only have 1 ring. So technically only 1 ear will be blocked.

Roy had two rings at the time.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That's like saying you wasted your money on car insurance last year because you didn't have any accidents.

You can't have 2 of everything. In the NHL if you lose certain key players IT WILL HURT no matter how much depth your lineup has. Guys we CAN'T replace...Markov Subban Plekanec Pacioretty Price, the rest getting hurt will still hurt buy we have others who can play bigger roles and limit the damage.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
I'm not contradicting myself at all.

You take over a team and have a plan you set in motion.

After just over 30 games, you act like a 12yo school boy and get excited because your team is playing really well. So, you start taking decisions you really shouldn't take. It doesn't mean your team is actually set to be a contender for many years to come, which was what your plan was about.
Keep in mind we're talking about 36 freaking games here. Not even a real half of a season.

The Kings spent two 2nd rounders on Regehr. Already that's too much for my liking.
Then, put yourself in Buffalo's shoes. You get two 2nd rd picks from LA that play in the West, or get two 2nd rd picks from a team that plays in your division and who's also higher ranked than LA meaning their picks are likely to be beneath LA's.

We would have had to outbid LA, and who's to say it doesn't escalate to a higher point.
Not only that, but with Timmins running the show, our picks are way more valuable to us than to other teams. Our drafting record speaks for itself.

And there's no way of knowing if spending a couple of 2nd round picks would have helped us reach the cup finals more. There's only 2 teams that get to the Finals, yet how many make trades at the deadline?? How often do we see teams spend a lot at the deadline only to go nowhere in the POs. It's happened time and time again.
So no, spending a couple draft picks doesn't guarantee us an easier time reaching the Finals.

We've also made adjustments throughout the year. We swapped Cole for Ryder+pick, who's our leading forward, grabbed Halpern off waivers, and traded for Drewiske.
I don't understand how you're still complaining that we didn't trade for more.
We made three transaction within 3months, and yet MB dropped the ball?? You realize how freaking stupid this sounds?

All this because he didn't bring in a bigger name around the deadline? Please man, that's lame.

We don't need to go for the cup this year. And it's not Regehr, who hasn't really played all that great this year anyways, that's gonna turn us into a major contender.
Come draft day, you'll be happy we kept those picks. We have a lot of picks in the early rounds and our drafting team is the best in the NHL. It's the best way to secure a great future, which is what you should be looking at, more so than winning the cup this year.

Just plain wrong.
Winning the cup should be your PLAN every year that you are a top 6 team in the NHL.

If the habs were fighting for a playoff spot I would agree with 100%.

onemorecup*

I'm not contradicting myself at all.

You take over a team and have a plan you set in motion.

After just over 30 games, you act like a 12yo school boy and get excited because your team is playing really well. So, you start taking decisions you really shouldn't take. It doesn't mean your team is actually set to be a contender for many years to come, which was what your plan was about.
Keep in mind we're talking about 36 freaking games here. Not even a real half of a season.

The Kings spent two 2nd rounders on Regehr. Already that's too much for my liking.
Then, put yourself in Buffalo's shoes. You get two 2nd rd picks from LA that play in the West, or get two 2nd rd picks from a team that plays in your division and who's also higher ranked than LA meaning their picks are likely to be beneath LA's.

We would have had to outbid LA, and who's to say it doesn't escalate to a higher point.
Not only that, but with Timmins running the show, our picks are way more valuable to us than to other teams. Our drafting record speaks for itself.

And there's no way of knowing if spending a couple of 2nd round picks would have helped us reach the cup finals more. There's only 2 teams that get to the Finals, yet how many make trades at the deadline?? How often do we see teams spend a lot at the deadline only to go nowhere in the POs. It's happened time and time again.
So no, spending a couple draft picks doesn't guarantee us an easier time reaching the Finals.

We've also made adjustments throughout the year. We swapped Cole for Ryder+pick, who's our leading forward, grabbed Halpern off waivers, and traded for Drewiske.
I don't understand how you're still complaining that we didn't trade for more.
We made three transaction within 3months, and yet MB dropped the ball?? You realize how freaking stupid this sounds?

All this because he didn't bring in a bigger name around the deadline? Please man, that's lame.

We don't need to go for the cup this year. And it's not Regehr, who hasn't really played all that great this year anyways, that's gonna turn us into a major contender.
Come draft day, you'll be happy we kept those picks. We have a lot of picks in the early rounds and our drafting team is the best in the NHL. It's the best way to secure a great future, which is what you should be looking at, more so than winning the cup this year.

great post we arent winning a cup this year moves or no moves at the deadline

we arent Pitt with the 2 best players in the world

our issue is this ..... what do we do over 82 games next year

u dont go from last to first and expect it to last out of nowhere

this year is gravy and enjoy the ride , but reality will set in next year , we are a good team and getting better , but dont break the bank for a quick fix

remember 20 trades gets done at deadlines and only 1 team wins it all so in reality
the odds are against you

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Just plain wrong.
Winning the cup should be your PLAN every year that you are a top 6 team in the NHL.

If the habs were fighting for a playoff spot I would agree with 100%.

Bergevin is planning to be top 6 every year, that's why he didn't want to trade vital assets on a depth defenseman.

Unless we are willing to take Bouwoumeester's huge cap hit, there was nobody moved that can play top 4 minutes.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
That's it, you can close this thread!

Maguire calling the Drewiski trade a genius move by Habs Pro scouting on Team 690 Melnick show. :sarcasm:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Shero traded for Murray...2 picks
Lombardi traded for Regher.... 2 picks
Chia traded for Redden.

Do you know what all those three GM's have in common?
They are the last three stanley cup winners! Are they all idiot GM's for giving up draft picks?

I guess Bergevin decided that the Habs are not ready to compete for the cup this year.

Those teams also have the luxury of knowing how their core performs together in the play-offs. Something we have no idea of. Let Bergevin evaluate this team in every circumstance before he starts going making trades involving picks and prospects. If this shortened season is just an aberration, you're going to be damn glad that he was patient and didn't prematurely blow his wad on an attempt to win the cup one year removed from finishing 15th.

Do you remember how the Crosby-led Penguins did their first season making the play-offs after being a basement team?

Poulet Kostopoulos

Oct 23, 2009
I agree that he has been a little soft this season, but I don't think that will last. He won't be a chara, but he won't be a Gill

Speaking of which, I'd take a mobile Hal Gill on my team any day of the week. You said it like it's a bad thing :laugh:

Right. He won't dive like Chara does but he'll be as mean if not meaner. ;)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The opportunity cost of trading picks for Regher (and we would have had to overpay to get an in-division player) is greater than Regher's comparative skill to the guys we have on the roster. Also, besides Regher, who out there should we have gone after? O'Byrne? Murray? Hannan? Whiskey is the better value pick-up among all of those guys.

Disagree with that article entirely.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Those teams also have the luxury of knowing how their core performs together in the play-offs. Something we have no idea of. Let Bergevin evaluate this team in every circumstance before he starts going making trades involving picks and prospects. If this shortened season is just an aberration, you're going to be damn glad that he was patient and didn't prematurely blow his wad on an attempt to win the cup one year removed from finishing 15th.

Do you remember how the Crosby-led Penguins did their first season making the play-offs after being a basement team?

Good point. Untested team, probably why Bergevin did not move more aggressively.
But if the Habs win a couple of rounds this year, our D depth could make the difference in the ECF or SCF.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't like this. Bergevin is immune to criticism now, just like Gainey was.

Look, we're having a fantastic year - he should've geared up for a playoff run and made his intentions clear. He let Shero set the market prices and allowed our two direct rivals to strengthen and add new dimensions to their teams while he sat on his hands. I like that we didn't give anything other than a 5th up - so ultimately no matter what our future is safe - but he BETTER make some good hockey moves this summer and build on this.

I like the guy, I really really do, but all this blind adoration of the guy is wrong in my opinion - a top2 team ought to strengthen, especially one as injury prone as ours. He didn't hurt our future but he sure as hell didn't help our present, it's like handicapping yourself against your rivals. You don't think Jagr or Iginla will help their teams with just their veteran presence? Jagr already won a game for the Bruins ffs.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I don't like this. Bergevin is immune to criticism now, just like Gainey was.

Look, we're having a fantastic year - he should've geared up for a playoff run and made his intentions clear. He let Shero set the market prices and allowed our two direct rivals to strengthen and add new dimensions to their teams while he sat on his hands. I like that we didn't give anything other than a 5th up - so ultimately no matter what our future is safe - but he BETTER make some good hockey moves this summer and build on this.

I like the guy, I really really do, but all this blind adoration of the guy is wrong in my opinion - a top2 team ought to strengthen, especially one as injury prone as ours. He didn't hurt our future but he sure as hell didn't help our present, it's like handicapping yourself against your rivals. You don't think Jagr or Iginla will help their teams with just their veteran presence? Jagr already won a game for the Bruins ffs.

He isn't immune to criticism, we just agree with what he did.

Again to repeat other posters, MB has seen this team play 35 games. This isn't the deadline to lose prospects and picks for rentals when you aren't certain of many things. He never saw this team play in the playoffs. He didn't get to even watch a real half NHL season.

I criticized him about the Subban contract, but not this. He did the right thing.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Good point. Untested team, probably why Bergevin did not move more aggressively.
But if the Habs win a couple of rounds this year, our D depth could make the difference in the ECF or SCF.

At the same token. If our core is good enough, they will be able to get there with home-ice advantage next year as well. If that's the case, then you'll see us be more active on the trade front. Especially if we keep all of our picks this season. Our cupboards will be well stocked with young talent across the board, we can afford to give up picks or players that add redundancy to our organizational depth.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
At the same token. If our core is good enough, they will be able to get there with home-ice advantage next year as well. If that's the case, then you'll see us be more active on the trade front. Especially if we keep all of our picks this season. Our cupboards will be well stocked with young talent across the board, we can afford to give up picks or players that add redundancy to our organizational depth.

The analogy I see from those who wanted to make trades is similar to trading all your food for guns in a nuclear apocalypse lol

pine*

Would people be as disappointed if we had done all our moves on deadline day?

e.g. traded Cole for Ryder + 3rd, traded nothing for Halpern and picked up Drewiske for a 5th

Good point man, I wholeheartedly agree. People are easily impressed by big name trades made at trade deadline.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Good point man, I wholeheartedly agree. People are easily impressed by big name trades made at trade deadline.

Dude, you're replying to yourself... you'd better agree!

Still a good point. MB made his moves a little in advance, before the asking prices started going up.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
Awful article.

You know what would have made Bergevin look truly stupid? Overspending on an aging rental, crippling our franchise by throwing away draft picks.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
That's the beauty of the internet. Any schmuck can post something on a site/blog/whatever and call it an article and then call themselves a writer/insider/reporter. Said person doesn't need any type of credibility to do this.

Yes they used to have to booze with an editor. :)

Story is not badly written we can disagree with the opinion though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad