News Article: Marc Bergevin Drops The Ball As Canadiens Lose Alexei Emelin

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Well they did add Iggy and Morrow. I feel like the Habs could have really made a run if they were able to grab a top4-5 dman and another forward. They didn't do that. Now Emelin gets injured. Our defensive depth was thin enough..now it's even thinner.

'm not going to blame Bergie, but I do wish he solidified the D at the deadline.

Same here.Overall Bergevin has done a fantastic job this year, just wish he had solidified our D a little more for a playoff run.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
The author of the article is an aspiring journalist. As a journalist, the job is to entertain, get people talking/reading. Almost 200 posts, job well done.

I disagree completely and utterly. A journalist's job is to inform, not troll and provoke reactions.

By your definition RDS are a great institution and Paris Hilton is amazing a whatever it is she does. Fox News must be amazing as well I suppose.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Ok I just lost IQ points reading that article. First of all Drewiske is not a journeyman defenseman he's played his entire career for one team.

definition of journeyman: An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker.

Dictionaries or even google are your friends.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I disagree completely and utterly. A journalist's job is to inform, not troll and provoke reactions.

By your definition RDS are a great institution and Paris Hilton is amazing a whatever it is she does. Fox News must be amazing as well I suppose.

It all depends on what your boss wants. If he wants to make money through traffic, yes. If he wants to make money by reputation, no.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
definition of journeyman: An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker.

Dictionaries or even google are your friends.

There are many definitions but in a sports context it definitely means a player that goes from team to team. That term is very frequently used with that meaning in sports articles (which I hope you often read, since you post on HFboards).

definition.com :

3.journeyman(Noun)

a player who plays on many different teams during the course of his career

The Los Angeles Lakers added journeyman forward Bob McAdoo to their roster in hopes that he could help them win a title.

onice said:
It all depends on what your boss wants. If he wants to make money through traffic, yes. If he wants to make money by reputation, no.

Everyone can post a controversial and ridiculous opinion. Not everyone has skills, judgement and ability to influence thoughts.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
There are many definitions but in a sports context it definitely means a player that goes from team to team. That term is very frequently used with that meaning in sports articles (which I hope you often read, since you post on HFboards).

definition.com :

3.journeyman(Noun)

a player who plays on many different teams during the course of his career

The Los Angeles Lakers added journeyman forward Bob McAdoo to their roster in hopes that he could help them win a title.

Please find me a dictionary that defines that word the way you just explained it. I just checked on dictionary.com. It doesn't say what you claim it does. Are we making crap up now out of thin air?

Last edited:

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Please find me a dictionary that defines that word the way you just explained it.

This term has many meanings depending on context, the one you claim it has is old and in link with work. Like ''I'm a journeyman ironsmith!'' or ''I'm a journeyman sailship builder!''. A journeyman is one step ahead of an apprentice. As far as I know, hockey players are not refered to as apprentices and masters troughout their careers.

Make a search about ''journeyman'' within the context of sports, you'll see it clearly means -

n. sports a player who plays on many different teams during the course of his career

Which is what several sources such as wiktionary state. You can look out for yourself, any sports article refering to a journeyman would be talking about a guy going trough multiple organisations, leagues and teams troughtout his long distinguished or not career.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
This term has many meanings depending on context, the one you claim it has is old and in link with work. Like ''I'm a journeyman ironsmith!'' or ''I'm a journeyman sailship builder!''. A journeyman is one step ahead of an apprentice. As far as I know, hockey players are not refered to as apprentices and masters troughout their careers.

Make a search about ''journeyman'' within the context of sports, you'll see it clearly means -

n. sports a player who plays on many different teams during the course of his career

Which is what several sources such as wiktionary state. You can look out for yourself, any sports article refering to a journeyman would be talking about a guy going trough multiple organisations, leagues and teams troughtout his long distinguished or not career.

Okay, now I know you're blowing smoke up my cul de sac. Wiktionary is like wikipedia. Any semi-literate can go and make an entry.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Okay, now I know you're blowing smoke up my cul de sac. Wiktionary is like wikipedia. Any semi-literate can go and make an entry.

Wow you are quite dense today :laugh:

Using your definition 90% of NHL players are journeymen. Its a wonder the term is used exclusively when discussing players that are often on the move... :sarcasm:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Wow you are quite dense today :laugh:

Using your definition 90% of NHL players are journeymen. Its a wonder the term is used exclusively when discussing players that are often on the move... :sarcasm:

I'm dense? I asked for a dictionary that uses your definition and you send me to a site where any romper room reject can go and make an entry.

Seeing as you had to revert to insults I'm guessing you didn't find a dictionary that had your definition and are trying to blow smoke my way so you can make a quick exit.

Beaker

In My Lab Goggles
Jun 4, 2007
In The Lab.
I thought this was a thread about how a heavyweight fighter could've avoided Emelin's injury.

Its equally as stupid.

Carry on.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal

I just find this link: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/journeyman?s=t

So please provide me with a better link.
No saying I disagree, just trying to find the reference.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
I'm dense? I asked for a dictionary that uses your definition and you send me to a site where any romper room reject can go and make an entry.

Seeing as you had to revert to insults I'm guessing you didn't find a dictionary that had your definition and are trying to blow smoke my way so you can make a quick exit.

Ok, I retract the ''dense'' statement since you take it so seriously. I believed specifying that ''dense'' being a temporary (today) and not permanent status, combined with the laughing face would lighten it up but clearly it didn't work.

On the other hand I think the dissing of wikipedia is a bit unfair . Its good source that is supported by a growing number of teachers, even at university.

Hockey articles and writer often refer to journeyman players as players who play with multiple teams, organisations. This is common use, the article says ''X is a journeyman player, he's also played for Y, Z, T and V teams in his tumultuous career''. Its how language evolve, the basic definition of journeyman hardly fits with hockey. Make it ''average hockey player with no attachment who sells his service to the highest bidder'' and it gets closer.

Beaker said:
I thought this was a thread about how a heavyweight fighter could've avoided Emelin's injury.

Its equally as stupid.

Carry on.

And pointless.

Last edited:

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Good point. Untested team, probably why Bergevin did not move more aggressively.
But if the Habs win a couple of rounds this year, our D depth could make the difference in the ECF or SCF.

All the teams you mentioned also multiple young superstars and and abundance of prospects. You can only be aggressive when you have stockpiled young talent and prospects.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
How can people say that Bergevin dropped the ball when a guy gets a knee injury? I dont get the connection. I dont care as much as some of you do, we finished 15th last year and all of a sudden we must be stanley cup champs and no mistakes. You people need to get a life. Good job Marc Bergevin in bringing this franchise from the dark ages to the modern ages.

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
I don't care for Drewiske. I think he's pretty sub-par. He's nothing special that's for sure. I would rather see Tinordi take his spot.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Now that you've shown that you, like hundreds of millions of other inhabitants of this planet from Shanghai to Timbuktu, can look things up on the internet, what are you getting at? By the definition you choose (playing for several teams rather than its original use in the medieval guilds to denote skill level), Jaromir Jagr is a journeyman. So were Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Frank Mahovlich, Jacques Plante, and a host of other HOF players.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
MB said he saw something in Drewiski and have been wanting him for a while on the club. So far he seems like a pretty good judge of talent and we know Duds is one of the best pro scouts in the game so I think Drewiski is going to work out real well.

You also have to kind of believe that they saw enough out of Tinordi and Beaulieu to trust them to come in and play in case of injury. Honestly for what was out there I'm content with Tinordi coming in and gaining experience and have 6 picks in the top 3 rounds. Nothing that would have been a reasonable price would be able to anything Jarred isn't capable of doing right now.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
As for dropping the ball, as long as that ball lands on the BUY-OUT button and Kaberle is gone, I'll be happy. That 4.25 in cap could come in handy next season!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad