News Article: Marc Bergevin Drops The Ball As Canadiens Lose Alexei Emelin

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Sheesh, even Ryder's first game with us this season wasn't all that great.
Drewiske was a guy we took because we neededs A MR. SOLID of sorts who just gets the puck out of the zone and not give up odd man rushes, issues which we've had all season.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I'm dense? I asked for a dictionary that uses your definition and you send me to a site where any romper room reject can go and make an entry.

Seeing as you had to revert to insults I'm guessing you didn't find a dictionary that had your definition and are trying to blow smoke my way so you can make a quick exit.

are you saying you need a dictionnary to know what Journeymen means ? (hockey context) seriously ?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
have people forgotten that we are in the middle of a rebuild? why would GMMB suddenly sell off our future, be it first rounders, second rounders, or good prospects, for mythical top 4 dmen that were not even on the market to begin with? he traded away nothing for a bottom pairing guy that hearing bergevin talk about him, feels could become more than that. what more do you want? that he roofies other GMs into taking our crap? oh wait, he already did

Bergevin IS thinking about the future.

trade away our first: whine
trade away any of our second: whine
trade away beaulieu, tinordi, gallagher or any of our good prospects: whine
rides into the sunset atop a unicorn: whine

Saintpatrick*

definition of journeyman: An experienced and competent but undistinguished worker.

Dictionaries or even google are your friends.

I'm sorry guys didn't mean to start an argument about what the word journeyman means :laugh:. I know what it means thanks anyways though:

A professional athlete whose been around one's sport for a long time, but has been on many teams for a short period of time. In Boxing, a journeyman has fought many times, but has had few opportunities to win a title.

An athlete who moves from team to team to team by trade or free agency because he's good but not great

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=journeyman

In the context of sports that's what it means.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I'm sorry guys didn't mean to start an argument about what the word journeyman means :laugh:. I know what it means thanks anyways though:

A professional athlete whose been around one's sport for a long time, but has been on many teams for a short period of time. In Boxing, a journeyman has fought many times, but has had few opportunities to win a title.

An athlete who moves from team to team to team by trade or free agency because he's good but not great

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=journeyman

In the context of sports that's what it means.

Going to agree with this. I've always used to term journeyman in sports to describe players who go from team to team. Guys like Jeff Halpern, Joe Juneau, metropolit etc. Almost like I'm combining both meanings of the word :laugh:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
are you saying you need a dictionnary to know what Journeymen means ? (hockey context) seriously ?

No. That's not what I'm saying.

Merriam Webster:

1 : a worker who has learned a trade and works for another person usually by the day
2: an experienced reliable worker, athlete, or performer especially as distinguished from one who is brilliant or colorful <a good journeyman trumpeter — New Yorker> <a journeyman outfielder>

The writer of this article used the correct usage.

The definition as someone who moved from city to city is usually used by a few ex-athletes turned broadcasters who can't speak English and apparently by some HF posters. Doesn't make it right.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Something just struck me...

The most ridiculous part about this article is that the VERY game where Emelin gets hurt and the extra depth added by getting Drewiske is needed, in a big divisional game vs Boston...he steps up and plays 23:50(behind only Subban and Gorges), has 4 blocked shots and 2 hits and they win 2-1.

The next day we get an "article" about how MB did not address the need for depth...brilliant! Let's not give the player added a chance to succeed or fail, let's just complain for no reason! That's like ragging out your kid 3 days into the school year for having poor grades. Truly ridiculous.

HABsurde

Jul 28, 2005
Montreal
Regher, Redden. Murray, Drewiske....

LA
BOS
PIT
MTL

the winning team of the last 3 Stanley cup pick-up a defenseman

we pick up a defensemen who won the cup last year (did not play but was there through the run anyway)

i'll live with that....

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
No. That's not what I'm saying.

Merriam Webster:

1 : a worker who has learned a trade and works for another person usually by the day
2: an experienced reliable worker, athlete, or performer especially as distinguished from one who is brilliant or colorful <a good journeyman trumpeter — New Yorker> <a journeyman outfielder>

The writer of this article used the correct usage.

The definition as someone who moved from city to city is usually used by a few ex-athletes turned broadcasters who can't speak English and apparently by some HF posters. Doesn't make it right.

Someone who respects proper usage and understands its mangling!

The problem seems to be overlapping meanings in hockey -- a player who is experienced and competent but undistinguished (a journeyman) is also more likely a player who will bounce around between a number of teams due to waivers, UFA status, depth trades etc. But simply playing for many teams does not make him a "journeyman" -- if that were the case Jagr could be called a journeyman because he's played with four teams. A player can be a "journeyman" while staying with one team, for example if Darche had only played in the Habs organization he could still be called a "journeyman."

Anyway what were we talking about?

Last edited:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Someone who respects proper usage and understands its mangling!

The problem seems to be overlapping meanings in hockey -- a player who is experienced and competent but undistinguished (a journeyman) is also more likely a player who will bounce around between a number of teams due to waivers, UFA status, depth trades etc. But simply playing for many teams does not make him a "journeyman" -- if that were the case Jagr could be called a journeyman because he's played with four teams. A player can be a "journeyman" while staying with one team, for example if Darche had only played in the Habs organization he could still be called a "journeyman."

Anyway what were we talking about?

Exactly. It was an exercise in pedantry by someone who had nothing useful to say.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
i always thought a journeyman was a male prostitute and in the hockey sense am experienced vet who is very popular in the locker room.

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
30 in 30 Elliot Friedman article

have people forgotten that we are in the middle of a rebuild? why would GMMB suddenly sell off our future, be it first rounders, second rounders, or good prospects, for mythical top 4 dmen that were not even on the market to begin with? he traded away nothing for a bottom pairing guy that hearing bergevin talk about him, feels could become more than that. what more do you want? that he roofies other GMs into taking our crap? oh wait, he already did

Bergevin IS thinking about the future.

trade away our first: whine
trade away any of our second: whine
trade away beaulieu, tinordi, gallagher or any of our good prospects: whine
rides into the sunset atop a unicorn: whine

27. Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin wouldn't comment on this story, but another source told me it was true, so I'm going with it. In 2006, when Chris Pronger asked to be traded from Edmonton, Chicago had a shot at getting him. Bergevin worked for the Blackhawks, who decided not to make the trade because they weren't ready to win. The deal included the draft pick that landed either Jonathan Toews or Patrick Kane (the source wasn't sure which). Can you imagine? Bergevin remembers that outcome and it shapes his philosophy. Don't swing for the fences unless your team has certain staying power.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Here are some points from Eliotte Friedman relating to the Habs...

27. Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin wouldn't comment on this story, but another source told me it was true, so I'm going with it. In 2006, when Chris Pronger asked to be traded from Edmonton, Chicago had a shot at getting him. Bergevin worked for the Blackhawks, who decided not to make the trade because they weren't ready to win. The deal included the draft pick that landed either Jonathan Toews or Patrick Kane (the source wasn't sure which). Can you imagine? Bergevin remembers that outcome and it shapes his philosophy. Don't swing for the fences unless your team has certain staying power.

28. Bergevin had a great line about being traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2000. "There was Jaromir Jagr, Martin Straka, Robert Lang, Josef Beranek and Ivan Hlinka behind the bench. They're all taking Czech to each other. I'm thinking, 'Did I get traded to Pittsburgh or to Prague?'"

29. A few tweeters asked about post-game comments I made regarding PK Subban and the Norris Trophy for top defenceman. Here is the issue. Through Tuesday, Subban is playing 17:18 minutes per night at even strength. That's 89th in the NHL. Among recent Norris winners, Duncan Keith was second, Erik Karlsson fifth and Zdeno Chara sixth. Since 2005, Nicklas Lidstrom finished 16th, 17th, 20th, and, in his final victory at age 41, 105th, which, incidentally, was Subban's ranking last Saturday. If Subban continues to move up the chart, it will increase his candidacy. He's improving and is going to be a great player, but recent history (the great Lidstrom's last season aside) says you've got to play the toughest minutes to win.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
The start of Marc Bergevins management career.

After his retirement, Bergevin was named a pro scout with the Blackhawks' organization. In 2008 he served as an Assistant Coach for the Blackhawks after three seasons with their scouting staff. In July, 2009, he was appointed the team's Director of Player Personnel.
While in this position, he won the Stanley Cup in 2010 after five years working to build this team.

Nitehowl

Jul 28, 2005
BC Canada
The start of Marc Bergevins management career.

After his retirement, Bergevin was named a pro scout with the Blackhawks' organization. In 2008 he served as an Assistant Coach for the Blackhawks after three seasons with their scouting staff. In July, 2009, he was appointed the team's Director of Player Personnel.
While in this position, he won the Stanley Cup in 2010 after five years working to build this team.

This is why I was happy MB held onto all his draft picks this year. You need to build up depth in assets before using assets for specific needs.Be in a position of strength .

Kinda like AA with the BlueJays... he collected many draft picks first , then drafted well and developed these picks, then when he felt time was right had the assets to trade for what he wanted.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This is why I was happy MB held onto all his draft picks this year. You need to build up depth in assets before using assets for specific needs.Be in a position of strength .

Kinda like AA with the BlueJays... he collected many draft picks first , then drafted well and developed these picks, then when he felt time was right had the assets to trade for what he wanted.

Didn't AA take over the blue jays only last winter(2011-12)? He wouldn't have much time to draft and develop his own players.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

And then blew his prospect load on R-A Dickey. An aging knuckleball pitcher..

Let's hope Bergevin doesn't do something so stupid. D'Arnaud and Syndergaard will haunt the Blue Jays, but that's for a different forum.

Habtchum*

Bervevin has made a lot more good moves than bad ones since he's there.

The worst:giving Moen such a long contract.

Hiring Lefebvre as head coach in Hamilton is a questionable move.

Rushing to re-sign DD for such a long contract is also questionable. Hopefully he will bounce back.

Not acquiring another big d-man at trade deadline + a mean 4th liner. Can bite him in the ass down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->