Marc Bergevin: Draft? Edition (XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Bad trade to unload Eller and pick up Shaw. He felt that he needed a RW and Danault replaced Eller but DD should have been moved instead. I remember the frustration with Eller... They tried him LW in the top 6 but he was given a short leash

Regardless, he was lucky to get a 2nd and 3rd cause if he waited... we would be stuck with Shaw

Eller trade was fine considering the emergence of Danault, it was making the trade for Shaw that was terrible..especially since we could have walked away with Debrincat and Girard.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Eller trade was fine considering the emergence of Danault, it was making the trade for Shaw that was terrible..especially since we could have walked away with Debrincat and Girard.

I seem to recall the Habs needing RW after Gallagher for several years at that point in time. Shaw (like it or not) was the guy he picked.

Thank god he's trended much better in the last few seasons. I think he's learned on the job at the Habs expense. How much has he learned? Not sure but he's got 2 years in term left.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I seem to recall the Habs needing RW after Gallagher for several years at that point in time. Shaw (like it or not) was the guy he picked

And it was not something to be liked.. Shawful was never the answer, we overpaid for him and signed him to a terrible contract extension before he even played a game for us.

The Shaw trade was bad and Chicago offered him a life-line, which is huge, because I never like completely losing a trade like we were about to if we didn't recoup on Shaw.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I seem to recall the Habs needing RW after Gallagher for several years at that point in time. Shaw (like it or not) was the guy he picked.

Thank god he's trended much better in the last few seasons. I think he's learned on the job at the Habs expense. How much has he learned? Not sure but he's got 2 years in term left.

We had Ryder, Gionta, Vanek and a few days after the Shaw trade we got Radulov.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And it was not something to be liked.. Shawful was never the answer, we overpaid for him and signed him to a terrible contract extension before he even played a game for us.

The Shaw trade was bad and Chicago offered him a life-line, which is huge, because I never like completely losing a trade like we were about to if we didn't recoup on Shaw.

It's in the past now. I'm just happy we unloaded that before this off season. Teams in cap hell are gong to scramble and lets face it, when Bergevin scrambles, it's scary

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We had Ryder, Gionta, Vanek and a few days after the Shaw trade we got Radulov.

Habs acquired Shaw on June 24th, 2016 for the 16/17 season. In the previous season (15/16), the RW depth was Gallagher, Weise, Andrighetto, DSP, and McCarron.

Don't know if you remember but Weise was playing top 6 on the right side and we hated that? Radulov was added on July 1st. Did Bergevin know Radulov would sign on June 24th when he picked up Shaw? Doubt it. And at that point in time, there were question marks on Radulov. I loved the signing but many criticize Bergevin for signing Radulov... called it another Semin move

He picked up Shaw cause RW was a team need for a while. You can argue that all you want but you misremember things. I would think twice about debating that one

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Habs acquired Shaw on June 24th, 2016 for the 16/17 season. In the previous season (15/16), the RW depth was Gallagher, Weise, Andrighetto, DSP, and McCarron.

Don't know if you remember but Weise was playing top 6 on the right side and we hated that? Radulov was added on July 1st. Did Bergevin know Radulov would sign on June 24th when he picked up Shaw? Doubt it. And at that point in time, there were question marks on Radulov. I loved the signing but many criticize Bergevin for signing Radulov... called it another Semin move

He picked up Shaw cause RW was a team need for a while. You can argue that all you want but you misremember things. I would think twice about debating that one

You are correct, I misremember things. I've forgot to include Parenteau to the list. My point being that saying we were needing a RW after Gallagher for several years is false.

Shaw wasn't or shouldn't have been a priority. Bergevin flew to New York to meet with Radulov, he probably had a decent idea on how negotiations were going.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are correct, I misremember things. I've forgot to include Parenteau to the list. My point being that saying we were needing a RW after Gallagher for several years is false.

Shaw wasn't or shouldn't have been a priority. Bergevin flew to New York to meet with Radulov, he probably had a decent idea on how negotiations were going.

Shaw didn't work out yes. But they were looking to address that RW position

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
But like Drouin we got him to play centre. I don't understand these moves. Eller for 2 seconds wasn't great, esp late rounders, but we should have traded those pick for shaw, not our lower number wise picks. I mean we should have kept eller, kept our picks and found an actual solution to our problems.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But like Drouin we got him to play centre. I don't understand these moves. Eller for 2 seconds wasn't great, esp late rounders, but we should have traded those pick for shaw, not our lower number wise picks. I mean we should have kept eller, kept our picks and found an actual solution to our problems.

Weise playing RW in our top 6 factored in to the hunt and he found Shaw. Bergevin not so smart in the mid span years of his 8 year tenure.

- Trades multiple 2nd's away. Draft years from 14-16
- Unloads Eller for Shaw and keeps DD
- Signs Alzner
- Signs Radulov to 1 year expecting him to be loyal
- Drouin for Sergachev
- Superstar RD for a superstar RD who was 4 years older and we needed a center
- Gives Price whatever he wanted

Most of his very bad moves are from years 3-5 of 8 years so far.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Bergevin:EtleBut-RDS(20/07/03)
“C'est certain que dû au COVID, les choses et les plans ont changés. Nous ça nous permet de participer aux séries. C'est certain qu'on a eu des hauts et des bas. Dans l'ensemble t'enlève les séries consécutives de défaites qu'on a eu, j'aime mon équipe. Je suis confiant.”
“On a eu de bons matches contre les Penguins. Mais encore là avec les séries qui vont commencer, la saison régulière ne veut plus rien dire. J'ai hâte que ça commence. Ça va être intéressant pour nos partisans.”
“C'est certain qu'on aimerait que le Rocket de Laval continue à jouer. Ils ont joué du très bon hockey. Les gars poussaient pour se maintenir aux séries. Ça aurait été intéressant de voir nos joueurs participer aux séries à Laval. Mais on a quand même une bonne idée de nos joueurs puis on a l'intention d'en inclure quelques uns dans notre liste de 28.”
“Tu ne peux pas miser sur la chance pour un choix de repêchâge. On ne sait pas exactement ce qui va se passer dans les séries. Les équipes qui vont perdre le 1er choix auront la même chance de prendre le 1er choix. Mais encore là pour nous et pour notre organisation c'est primordial d'aller le plus loin possible dans les séries.”
“En ce moment, on a beaucoup de choix de repêchage. On est dans une bonne position. On a beaucoup d'espace dans la masse salariale. C'est sûr qu'on a des joueurs à resigner pour la prochaine saison et qu'on doit garder nos jeunes qui vont avoir du succès.”

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

The number one reason that the Shaw trade sucked was that Chicago subsequently gave away Teuvo Terevainen for less.

The Habs could have had Terevainen, and not acquiring him is one of Bergevin's greatest failures as a GM.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
#Bergevin:EtleBut-RDS(20/07/03)

Mostly good comments from Bergevin.

I didn't like his point that the Habs were good other than their losing streaks, as that's a dumb comment. But the rest was ok. It was good of him to distribute praise and to say that the focus is on winning.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Im following habs since 2001. And they were out of playoffs 4 times between 2001 and 2017. This is exactly the entire career of Markov btw. So on 16 years we miss playoffs 4 times and gainey lose his job. So now, in 4 years we made playoffs( since markov left). Were out of playoffs 3 times. Thats just awful. Our Gm should be responsible of it and lose his job. This is unnaceptable. Im use to see a competitive team. A team who made playoffs and get few suprise like in 2010 and 2015. And, im not able to ssay in how many years we are gonna be competitive again. Is this the worst lehtargy by our club? I know. Im following montreal only since 2001. Im maybe not use to have a bad club too

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Im following habs since 2001. And they were out of playoffs 4 times between 2001 and 2017. This is exactly the entire career of Markov btw. So on 16 years we miss playoffs 4 times and gainey lose his job. So now, in 4 years we made playoffs( since markov left). Were out of playoffs 3 times. Thats just awful. Our Gm should be responsible of it and lose his job. This is unnaceptable. Im use to see a competitive team. A team who made playoffs and get few suprise like in 2010 and 2015. And, im not able to ssay in how many years we are gonna be competitive again. Is this the worst lehtargy by our club? I know. Im following montreal only since 2001. Im maybe not use to have a bad club too

I called it before Markov left. That the team would go under once he retired.

His impact was huge.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bergevin trading Sergachev for Drouin can be considered damning at this point. I am however not sure how damning we should consider it:

- There was likely pressure from Molson to bring in a local boy;
- Sergachev was underperforming as a prospect at the time, and he might not have turned out as good if developed by the Habs;
- There's a selection effect in that it's Bergevin's worst trades in 8 years. How does it compare to the worst trades of most franchises in the past years? Is it worse or level with expectations? Every franchise eventually makes a bad trade.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Very underrated player, dare I say almost underappreciated.

He wasn't underappreciated by the fans. And the management just wanted him to take a 1 year base plus performance contract... like how Chara has done with the Bruins? Markov is not 100% innocent and I bet you he has regrets.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
I'll said it again.

The worst thing was to give 2 x 2nd for Shaw when Teravainen and Bickell (cap dump) were traded for a 2nd and 3rd.

I see to recall that Timmins was high on Teravainen and he was only 21 years old...

Reactions: Doc McKenna

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'll said it again.

The worst thing was to give 2 x 2nd for Shaw when Teravainen and Bickell (cap dump) were traded for a 2nd and 3rd.

I see to recall that Timmins was high on Teravainen and he was only 21 years old...

That's the other bad one.. the Drouin trade and the Shaw trade are the two worst moves he's made on the trade front.

However, his coach selection and development has been putrid.. his UFA signings also really bad, and his overall execution as far as a vision go is non-existent.

It's like making a bunch of good trades on the stock market but investing all that money in Blockbuster.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Offensive breakouts too.
Hate to say it but losing Emelin and Beaulieu the same year, and never being even close since was a major blow to our breakout. Each of those guys had a good first pass, regardless of anything else, our LD was what pushed plays out of our zone. Petry was OK and has stepped up since, but only PK could pass it our well from our RD.

Its so bad that I almost miss pateryn. Half the time he played I thought it was weber. He was (hockey wise) a decent 3rd line D man. off the ice may have been another matter, but its not like we haven't had scandals ever before. Should have kept zach kassian. Everyone knew he had problems before coming, deal with them and get him to play hockey.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
He wasn't underappreciated by the fans. And the management just wanted him to take a 1 year base plus performance contract... like how Chara has done with the Bruins? Markov is not 100% innocent and I bet you he has regrets.

Chara was 41 years old when he finally was offered a performance contract. Why Markov should settle for a performance contract when at the time he was 38 years old?

-Chara had a salary of 5m + 1,25m if he played 10 games.
-Markov for all we know got a pretty insulting low ball offer.

I’m pretty sure he would have settled for a Chara like contract if the numbers were correct. He was never greedy for money during his tenure with us. I don’t quite understand why he would start getting greedy at the end of his career.

People forget but a washed up Andrei Markov was the 2nd leading point scorer among defensemen around 25 games into his last season with us.

Why should he settle for a performance contract that was likely a low ball offer from Bergevin when he wasn’t even 40 years old and was still producing points like a #1 defensemen?

I’m sure he has some regrets alright, he should have bitch slap Bergevin when he came with that contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad