Marc Bergevin: Draft? Edition (XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

In the interview, Bergevin said this...

MB: Like you saw during the Lottery, the teams with the highest chance of getting the first pick didn't get it. So, we don't want to base anything on having the chance to get that pick. The important thing for us right now is winning as many games as possible and winning as many rounds as possible. The eight teams that lose [in the Qualifying Round] all have the same probability - 12.5% -- of getting the first-overall pick. Yes, you could get the first pick, but you could also get the 15th pick. The important thing is to gain some experience, compete, beat the Penguins, and move on.

Habs pick 1, 9, or 16 right? Or do they do the lottery for spots 1 and for spots 9-15? I was under the understanding that if you don't get 1, you get a position based on points?

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

MB: Like you saw during the Lottery, the teams with the highest chance of getting the first pick didn't get it. So, we don't want to base anything on having the chance to get that pick. The important thing for us right now is winning as many games as possible and winning as many rounds as possible. The eight teams that lose [in the Qualifying Round] all have the same probability - 12.5% -- of getting the first-overall pick. Yes, you could get the first pick, but you could also get the 15th pick. The important thing is to gain some experience, compete, beat the Penguins, and move on.

Habs pick 1, 9, or 16 right? Or do they do the lottery for spots 1 and for spots 9-15? I was under the understanding that if you don't get 1, you get a position based on points?
It’s Bergevin, he’s incompetent.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They’ll have the highest chances at the Cup before the season starts so we should be happy about that.

I would not expect a cup next season if we get Lafreniere. Unless we make a major move to get a center like Kopitar. If we get Lafreniere, I do have concerns on who is his center. Can Suzuki take a step forward? Very possible. But can he be a center to shelter Lafreniere? No, not yet.

Lafreniere / Suuzki / Kovalcuk: Would be something I would be interested in but I think playoffs and more experience would be my goal for next year.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
I would not expect a cup next season if we get Lafreniere. Unless we make a major move to get a center like Kopitar. If we get Lafreniere, I do have concerns on who is his center. Can Suzuki take a step forward? Very possible. But can he be a center to shelter Lafreniere? No, not yet.

Lafreniere / Suuzki / Kovalcuk: Would be something I would be interested in but I think playoffs and more experience would be my goal for next year.
It was a joke lol

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

it’s a pretty incoherent rambling regarding the lottery. What exactly is he trying to say?
It’s no surprise he got the placement wrong.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Bergevin is dumb as always. As a manager he doesn't seem intent on informing himself.

What an indictment of his incompetence when people on this board are more informed about the rules his team has to go through. His phrase should've been "you can get the 1st, but you can also get the 9th, or if we win against Pittsburgh, the 16th or higher."

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Lafreniere can carry his line. He doesn't need a Kopitar.
Down the line he'll be just fine.

We wouldn't be cup contenders next year even with McDavid.
And why do so many want Kovalchuk, he played like 5 good games here then started disappearing.

Reactions: le_sean

OB5

May 2, 2015
Bergevin is dumb as always. As a manager he doesn't seem intent on informing himself.

What an indictment of his incompetence when people on this board are more informed about the rules his team has to go through. His phrase should've been "you can get the 1st, but you can also get the 9th, or if we win against Pittsburgh, the 16th or higher."
Give him a break. It's not like it's his job or anything

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lafreniere can carry his line. He doesn't need a Kopitar.
Down the line he'll be just fine.

We wouldn't be cup contenders next year even with McDavid.
And why do so many want Kovalchuk, he played like 5 good games here then started disappearing.

Too much pressure to put on the kid so early in Montreal if we get him. I think he will be a target. Also.. not a cup contender with McDavid? :sarcasm:. You must really think we suck

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Too much pressure to put on the kid so early in Montreal if we get him. I think he will be a target. Also.. not a cup contender with McDavid? :sarcasm:. You must really think we suck
Teams who miss the POs 4/5 usually suck and no one player transforms them into cup contention overnight.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, I also disagree with Kriss

We wouldn't be a perfect team, but jeeze, it's a world of difference having McJesus as #1C rather than Dano.

He's been trying to say we are a bottom 5 team for sure for a while now. We are more like a middle of the pack team and we have knocked on the top 10 and bottom 10 door for two seasons in a row now. Adding McDavid does bump us substantially.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's been trying to say we are a bottom 5 team for sure for a while now. We are more like a middle of the pack team and we have knocked on the top 10 and bottom 10 door for two seasons in a row now. Adding McDavid does bump us substantially.
Of course adding the best player in the world would help significantly. We still wouldn't be cup contenders.
Now if the kids take a nice step forward, that could change things.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Of course adding the best player in the world would help significantly. We still wouldn't be cup contenders.
Now if the kids take a nice step forward, that could change things.

I think we would be close to cup contenders with McDavid. Hard to nail down if we are a legit top 5 or 5-7 range. It's talk on paper.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd say we'd be fairly close to a contender. One LHD from being legit.

Interesting conversation... What would be your Line-up? Kovalchuk signs for sure then right? Even if we could not find a LD, I think this would be a cup contender and our PP would be much, much better.

Domi / McDavid / Drouin
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Kovalchuk / Suzuki / Armia
Byron / Kotkaniemi / Lehkonen

Weal, Evans

Romanov / Weber
Chiarot / Petry
Mete / Juulsen

Kulak

Price

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think we would be close to cup contenders with McDavid. Hard to nail down if we are a legit top 5 or 5-7 range. It's talk on paper.
Well if you can't say that we would be one...then...we aren't one, pretty simple.
A lot of it depends on how the kids will develop their games. Right now, we have a bunch of decent to good guys but the entire make up of the team is disgusting.
There is no identity, style, flare to this team. We are a boring ass team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well if you can't say that we would be one...then...we aren't one, pretty simple.
A lot of it depends on how the kids will develop their games. Right now, we have a bunch of decent to good guys but the entire make up of the team is disgusting.
There is no identity, style, flare to this team. We are a boring ass team.

You think Suzuki playing 3C, KK 4C, and trying Romanov with Weber would be horrible? Pretty sure all cup contenders have some flaws... some more than others. I'd be happy with this roster... like really happy. I bet you the BS disappears with Domi and Drouin playing with McDavid.

Domi / McDavid / Drouin
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Kovalchuk / Suzuki / Armia
Byron / Kotkaniemi / Lehkonen

Weal, Evans

Romanov / Weber
Chiarot / Petry
Mete / Juulsen

Kulak

Price

Status
Not open for further replies.