Marc Bergevin : Attitude > Skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Last year 1-6-1 and we knew it was done.

If habs go 6-1-1 is it a reverse?

American Thanksgiving is the big measuring stick. Lets see where we sit by then.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyways, I hate rehatching old things cause we never really accomplish much. He’s made bad moves and has made good ones, right now we are trending upwards so I’ll go with that.

There is no question that the skepticism by some on this board about Bergevin, stems from the 6 years of tenure vs. what he did this summer. We need to see some momentum being built from the summer moves.

When the summer began with personnel additions and firings, I was greatly encouraged. And then the trades came along and the draft. I don't think there was ever as compelling a time frame in his tenure.

Now we need to know that it was for real, not just a sequence of events that gets derailed by the TDL. If he is resetting or rebuilding, then stick to that. And continue to make moves in that direction, accordingly. Fans seem to have embraced the summer moves. Kotkaniemi looks like he's going to stick all or most of the year. And that's a biggie cause that centerline albatross was going to dog Bergevin from the start of training camp.

The problem with Bergevin is that he has said and done a lot of things that have caused fans's trust to erode. I don't know if he can ever get it back, he has been capable of the worst. Can he now prove capable of the best and do it on a consistent, longstanding basis?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
There is no question that the skepticism by some on this board about Bergevin, stems from the 6 years of tenure vs. what he did this summer. We need to see some momentum being built from the summer moves.

When the summer began with personnel additions and firings, I was greatly encouraged. And then the trades came along and the draft. I don't think there was ever as compelling a time frame in his tenure.

Now we need to know that it was for real, not just a sequence of events that gets derailed by the TDL. If he is resetting or rebuilding, then stick to that. And continue to make moves in that direction, accordingly. Fans seem to have embraced the summer moves. Kotkaniemi looks like he's going to stick all or most of the year. And that's a biggie cause that centerline albatross was going to dog Bergevin from the start of training camp.

The problem with Bergevin is that he has said and done a lot of things that have caused fans's trust to erode. I don't know if he can ever get it back, he has been capable of the worst. Can he now prove capable of the best and do it on a consistent, longstanding basis?
True.....most fans have lost trust and rightfully so, even I this past summer didn’t care if he’d get fired.

With a successful summer, he’s given us a smidgen of hope, not much, but at least something and it’ll take 2 more similar summers to regain the fan bases trust IMHO.

But For the love of god, can someone teach this man how to speak in a press conference :laugh:

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
XNEFW L L EJ PWEJ LE

OK, I feel much better now.

(taking this to another level - totally unrelated)

63vbpj.jpg

Mods/admins should give extra trophy points to anyone who gets it :D

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I mean no one was praising the Domi trade at the time, it was the usual from the usuals saying its a horrible trade and will blow up in MB's face. Same with the Reilly trade. Lots of Why? and useless trade etc...

TT was promoted July 17th 2017. So if he is really secretly running the show then he would of been the ones behind those trades. But of course that theory is only popping up because the trades look good. If Domi finishes the year with 5 goals and 25 points it will be back to MB is really running the show LOL.

Actually, you can put back all your pet theories where the sun don't shine cuz I've been saying this since around the time the coaching changes came along and that's half a year ago, before all those trades.

Just a month prior to being promoted, Habs had one of their best drafts in years, and ever since he's been promoted, we've seen better drafting, better trades and better hires. Whatever is the true nature of the present hierachy, it is obvious Timmins has a say into this change in philosophy.

Bergevin never showed any propensity of learning from his mistakes in the 5 years prior. So who am I to believe is having this positive impact? The timeline fits almost perfectly with Timmins's ascension.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Actually, you can put back all your pet theories where the sun don't shine cuz I've been saying this since around the time the coaching changes came along and that's half a year ago, before all those trades.

Just a month prior to being promoted, Habs had one of their best drafts in years, and ever since he's been promoted, we've seen better drafting, better trades and better hires. Whatever is the true nature of the present hierachy, it is obvious Timmins has a say into this change in philosophy.

Bergevin never showed any propensity of learning from his mistakes in the 5 years prior. So who am I to believe is having this positive impact? The timeline fits almost perfectly with Timmins's ascension.

Shouldnt you then be comparing him to Dudley instead of MB since you seem to give the AGM a lot of credit. TT replaced Dudley not MB. And MB was the one who promoted him anyways, GM's are supposed to put the right people in the right place.

And funny that TT has more say on the draft as the AGM, rather than as the director of amateur scouting. So when TT headed the draft MB overruled him, but now that TT is AGM MB lets him make the major input on the draft.

Point is maybe you had this theory 6 months ago doesn't make it any more valid. And most people didn't think the same as you as you can see in the Domi or Reilly thread, or the Max threads where people were burying MB for how he handled the lead up to the trade. No one was saying that TT is the genius behind it all when the moves all looked bad.

In 2 months from now when the habs are back at the bottom the standings I am sure the TT in charge theory will be dropped very quickly.

I don't doubt that TT is good as his job and he is probably a very good AGM. I may not like his drafting record the last few years but I think he has a mind for the game and always wanted him promoted out of drafting so his talents could be used somewhere else. If MB is listening to his suggestions while thats the job of the GM.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Some will convince themselves of the funniest things.

They just have an axe to grind and can’t let it go.....lol

axe-to-grind.gif

I assure you some would rather see Bergevin fail then habs win a cup

That's grammatically incorrect, but ultimately temporally likely, as Bergevin has already failed, and hopefully Habs will win another Cup somewhere down the line :dunno:

:teach2:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
That's grammatically incorrect, but ultimately temporally likely, as Bergevin has already failed, and hopefully Habs will win another Cup somewhere down the line :dunno:

:teach2:
Ya, my Anglais isn’t the best. Spent more time in the principals office absorbing my hands being whipped .....(common practice back in my day) then nerding it up in class

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Shouldnt you then be comparing him to Dudley instead of MB since you seem to give the AGM a lot of credit. TT replaced Dudley not MB. And MB was the one who promoted him anyways, GM's are supposed to put the right people in the right place.

And funny that TT has more say on the draft as the AGM, rather than as the director of amateur scouting. So when TT headed the draft MB overruled him, but now that TT is AGM MB lets him make the major input on the draft.

Point is maybe you had this theory 6 months ago doesn't make it any more valid. And most people didn't think the same as you as you can see in the Domi or Reilly thread, or the Max threads where people were burying MB for how he handled the lead up to the trade. No one was saying that TT is the genius behind it all when the moves all looked bad.

In 2 months from now when the habs are back at the bottom the standings I am sure the TT in charge theory will be dropped very quickly.

I don't doubt that TT is good as his job and he is probably a very good AGM. I may not like his drafting record the last few years but I think he has a mind for the game and always wanted him promoted out of drafting so his talents could be used somewhere else. If MB is listening to his suggestions while thats the job of the GM.
wonder why you need to turn every single thing in a "props to Marc" thing ?

why do you love Bergevin more than the Habs ?

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Ya, my Anglais isn’t the best. Spent more time in the principals office absorbing my hands being whipped .....(common practice back in my day) then nerding it up in class

Wasn't a dig at you or your English. Merely having a bit of fun with the chronological aspect of your post ;)

Sorry about your scholastic issues. School of hard knocks indeed. You know who was given a hard time at school? Marc Bergevin, that's who! I read somewhere - most likely here - that he repeated kindergarten three times and flunked out of school by 5th grade at age 17. Explains his... err, deficiencies, actually. Poor soul :cry:

2lszb4w.jpg

Someday you will, Marc. Someday you will. Hope springs eternal.

Godspeed, dear sir.

Last edited:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not quite like the Rangers who straight up announced that they were rebuilding, they weren't cryptic about it like the Habs have been.

Remember how Geoff and MB said there was a plan but only they knew about it and couldn't reveal it? And then this whole mislabeling of what they were supposedly doing -- is it a "reset", a "rebuild" or something else.

And if it is a rebuild, what is MB doing shopping for veteran UFAs this past summer? Didn't see the Rangers do that, they stated their plan and they appear to be acting accordingly. Better still, there was no secret with them, they weren't afraid to write a letter to their fans and tell them exactly what they were going to do.

Basically, "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." Molson and Bergevin are as far from "transparency" as a block of neutronium.

The plan is to get more wins than last year and pat each other on the back for a job well done - while the ticket prices go up and their $20 tacos are inferior to any taco wagon pulled by a donkey on an unpaved alley in any Mexican village selling an infinitely superior product for a buck fitty. :sarcasm:

Poseurs. Confidence men.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
How did we make the team better last year?? Why leave 7 million on the cap?
Dealt Morrow for a pick, dealt Plekanec for a pick and prospects....dealt a pick for Reilly, a young talented D.

Dealt Pacioretty for a A prospect and a pick and a cap dump (Tatar).....we left again another 7m$ in cap space.

Sounds like something the Rangers are doing, except Rangers have 1.1m$ in cap space (ooops) and have less picks in 2019 then we do

Ya, who said we were not in rebuild?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Drouin 4pts
Sergachev 0pts

Tatar 8pts
Pacioretty 1pt

Domi 5pts
Galchenyuk 0 pts

Subban 5pts
Weber 0 pts

Mind you chucky hasn’t played yet and neither did Weber but if roles were reversed this site would crash ugly like a 70 car pileup on the autobahn

Serge has now 3 pts in 5 games (+4). Don't know where you took that zero.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Don’t even try and act like we didn’t get absolutely fleeced with the Serg/Drouin trade. Just stop, that will NEVER be a good trade. A #1 D-man for a #2 LW.
I never said it was a great trade......I absolutely loved Sergachev......calm down, have a coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad