Marc Bergevin : Attitude > Skill

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Bergevin is using a joual accent from the 70s that relies on a limited number of expressions. Having been out of the province for a substantive period, it's not at all surprising -- his vocabulary wasn't all that extensive to begin with, however, he's had over 6 years to make up for it. Doesn't look like it's helped him.
You can take a guy out of the Pointe, but you can't do the opposite.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So true, and the Pointe was the best place to get use to be called all kind of names by Anglos:laugh:

Sadly, there is no shortage of pockets where Francos will call Anglos and "ethnics" all kind of names. It's the beauty of living in Quebec. :sarcasm:

It used to be far worse in the 70s and 80s. Thankfully, the majority in all camps have seen the value of building bridges to greater mutual understanding and respect instead.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Sadly, there is no shortage of pockets where Francos will call Anglos and "ethnics" all kind of names. It's the beauty of living in Quebec. :sarcasm:

It used to be far worse in the 70s and 80s. Thankfully, the majority in all camps have seen the value of building bridges to greater mutual understanding and respect instead.

Wouldnt go as far as sayin sadly, those days had their good and bad sides, we had some good fights but at least back then they where fist fights....good and less good people on both sides, played all my youth at Pointe St-Charles arena being francophone i can tell you that i have far more respect for Anglos of Pointe St-Charles than i have for the one of Westmount and no sarcasm :laugh:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

In Montreal perhaps, but recent elections suggest that crap is still thriving outside of the major urban centers

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
but recent elections suggest that crap is still thriving outside of the major urban centers

and why is that so....to me last election result just showed people wanted a change, you know that Libarals where in power for 13 of the last 15 years in Quebec

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wouldnt go as far as sayin sadly, those days had their good and bad sides, we had some good fights but at least back then they where fist fights....good and less good people on both sides, played all my youth at Pointe St-Charles arena being francophone i can tell you that i have far more respect for Anglos of Pointe St-Charles than i have for the one of Westmount and no sarcasm :laugh:

I've been in the trench wars, having rocks thrown at me by gangs as a kid and kids from other high schools waiting for our school to end its day to start a massive brawl. And they'd show up with chains and baseball bats. It was all brainless and amounted to nothing of value. I think all sides were wrong in those days for one reason or another and one feels a lot of regret after the fact, for being ignorant and inexperienced.

I think you find out a lot of great things when you take the time to learn what someone on the other side of the divide (whatever that may be), is like. There is a lot more uniting us then dividing us, from my experience. I hate linguistic and racial generalizations and squabbles, we are all better than that.

Anyways, back to hockey. Let's leave that crap for the political forums.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
All those areas, The Pointe, St-Henri, Cote St-Paul, Verdun, are all turning into nouveau hipster plateau.

1950's

a043877-v8.jpg

2000's
150520_7e638_ruelle-verte2_sn635.jpg

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
All those areas, The Pointe, St-Henri, Cote St-Paul, Verdun, are all turning into nouveau hipster plateau.

1950's

a043877-v8.jpg

2000's

Very nice pics.....geez is it me on the left..... lol, left always been my side

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

1950's

a043877-v8.jpg

2000's

Is that the exact same spot?

There is something mythical about the Montreal "ruelle". I spent my youth in the ruelles, it was our home away from home. Everything happened there.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Is that the exact same spot?

There is something mythical about the Montreal "ruelle". I spent my youth in the ruelles, it was our home away from home. Everything happened there.
Probably not, but they're both in the Pointe. The top picture is a flashback to my youth.

Anyway, back to hockey.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Basically, "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you." Molson and Bergevin are as far from "transparency" as a block of neutronium.

The plan is to get more wins than last year and pat each other on the back for a job well done - while the ticket prices go up and their $20 tacos are inferior to any taco wagon pulled by a donkey on an unpaved alley in any Mexican village selling an infinitely superior product for a buck fitty. :sarcasm:

Poseurs. Confidence men.

Oh yeah that "plan" was good. The - lets try and talk to tavares but if he snubs then rebuild.NO! reset because .... ...euhm ...golden knights- plan.

But that just makes me laugh, what irritates me are the "full of shit" moments trying to defend his work like saying "our defence is better this year" . "moé jpas prêêête a dire que ______"

Only then am i worried that that's the same man crafting us a plan for the future and that he might be obsessed by his self preservation.

They finally seemed to have commited to something and so far so good... I am enjoying the golden canadiens very much.

As for the second part of your post, it was nailed with such poetry, im sure i wasn't the only one to laugh that loud... Mostly because all you said is just 100% true hahah.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
and why is that so....to me last election result just showed people wanted a change, you know that Libarals where in power for 13 of the last 15 years in Quebec

I think it's fairly obvious but frankly not looking to discuss it here.

My bad, should not have commented here as this isn't the political thread.

Let's carry on focusing on our wonderful GM

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Send me a PM if you have a hot take on the Q election. I was very into that growing up, but I left Quebec in 2007 so I don't know what happened.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
My point was very clear i think, try to make an effort to understand it.....what i'm sayin mainly is, people that make fun or say that one doesnt speak properly any language...to me are snob

Geez....didnt think i had to explain that
Euh...what? So I guess everyone speaks well?
Bergevin speaks terribly. Ya, I can still understand him perfectly fine. So? I'm also capable of realizing what is a proper sentence structure and whatever comes out of Bergevin's mouth isn't.
If people were saying this about him because he just says things like ''j'va'' instead of ''je vais'' or ''a cause que'' instead of ''parce que''...then you might have a point, but that's not the case. His french is terrible.
Now, maybe you think his french is fine because you speak like he does so you don't recognize his poor use of it.

He's not a well spoken and articulate person. You're not a snob for noticing that.

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Bergevin speaks terribly. Ya, I can still understand him perfectly fine. So? I'm also capable of realizing what is a proper sentence structure and whatever comes out of Bergevin's mouth isn't.
If people were saying this about him because he just says things like ''j'va'' instead of ''je vais'' or ''a cause que'' instead of ''parce que''...then you might have a point, but that's not the case. His french is terrible.
Now, maybe you think his french is fine because you speak like he does so you don't recognize his poor use of it.

He's not a well spoken and articulate person. You're not a snob for noticing that.

That line was not necessary, all tho not surprizing coming from you

Where did i say is french is fine, i only said that i am able to understand everything he says in both language..... obviously you mist (again) the meaning of my post, except maybe for the ''snob'' part

You are certainly not a snob for ''noticing'' but you are surely one for ''making fun or looking down on the persons''.... beceause of their ''terrible'' language knowledge, at least it's my opinion

Anyway, like another posters said after that series of posts, lets stick to hockey, language shouldnt be a matter of concern on a hockey board

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

There is an added nuance. Bergevin's joual is what I remember people using in the 70s, it has a particular vocabulary and pronunciation. I don't know why I am attuned to that sort of thing, but that's how it strikes me.

What I find irksome is not that this is how he speaks (even if it's easier on the ears to hear a more polished delivery) but that in six years of living in Quebec, I have not noticed any major improvement in his communication skills. I mean, that's quite a long time not to be sharper at your native tongue. But, I digress.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
That line was not necessary, all tho not surprizing coming from you

Where did i say is french is fine, i only said that i am able to understand everything he says in both language..... obviously you mist (again) the meaning of my post, except maybe for the ''snob'' part

You are certainly not a snob for ''noticing'' but you are surely one for ''making fun or looking down on the persons''.... beceause of their ''terrible'' language knowledge, at least it's my opinion

Anyway, like another posters said after that series of posts, lets stick to hockey, language shouldnt be a matter of concern on a hockey board

Right...can't poke fun of a grown man that speaks like crap. So snobbish..

Reactions: Peanut

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There is an added nuance. Bergevin's joual is what I remember people using in the 70s, it has a particular vocabulary and pronunciation. I don't know why I am attuned to that sort of thing, but that's how it strikes me.

What I find irksome is not that this is how he speaks (even if it's easier on the ears to hear a more polished delivery) but that in six years of living in Quebec, I have not noticed any major improvement in his communication skills. I mean, that's quite a long time not to be sharper at your native tongue. But, I digress.

When he hangs with people like Therrien and JJD....can't be all that surprised now ca we?..

Reactions: Peanut and Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad