Marc-Andre Fleury Appreciation Thread (Selected by Vegas in exchange for 2020 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I've actually felt embarrassed as a Pens' fan because of how many of our fans reacted to MAF leaving. Grown men are crying....people are being irrational.

I love the Pens but come on now. This is just pathetic. I mean I would never cry over something like this but at least I would somewhat understand the fans reaction if Fleury was diagnosed with a disease or something or had to retire.

He's going to continue to play hockey. He is making nearly $6 million a year.

It'll be okay. He seemed like a very nice guy. But people are acting like they are losing a best friend or sibling. I'm sure he was nice when you went up to him at whatever restaurant and intruded on his dinner. But come on.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
People saying "glad it's over"...you realize it's not, right? These people aren't going anywhere. Any goal Murray gives up next year, they'll be there. Fleury would have stopped that, biggest mistake in franchise history, etc.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I love the "GLOVE SIDE HIGH" people. Every single goalie in the league's weakness is glove side high. If you're flying down the ice and get to rip the puck glove side high - you have a good chance to score!

Yep, fleury gave up 4 out of his 5 goals in game 6 against the capitals glove high.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
People saying "glad it's over"...you realize it's not, right? These people aren't going anywhere. Any goal Murray gives up next year, they'll be there. Fleury would have stopped that, biggest mistake in franchise history, etc.

Um yeah that or any time MAF doesn't play well in a Knights game that has no bearing on this board people will be posting beach ball pics. In that way no, it's not over. As for Facebook, it's bad for your health.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

How do people get like this?

That avg Murray posting back to back shutouts to close out the finals and be the first rookie to win two SC.... he just got lucky, like when he re-wrote the AHL record books with that stacked Baby Pens squad...

Maybe, now this could be those equipment allergies affecting me brain, but maybe the best goalie prospect in the league came up to the bigs and did best goalie prospect in the league things. Maybe.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I've actually felt embarrassed as a Pens' fan because of how many of our fans reacted to MAF leaving. Grown men are crying....people are being irrational.

I love the Pens but come on now. This is just pathetic. I mean I would never cry over something like this but at least I would somewhat understand the fans reaction if Fleury was diagnosed with a disease or something or had to retire.

He's going to continue to play hockey. He is making nearly $6 million a year.

It'll be okay. He seemed like a very nice guy. But people are acting like they are losing a best friend or sibling. I'm sure he was nice when you went up to him at whatever restaurant and intruded on his dinner. But come on.

I find it more embarrassing that people think they are entitled to police other people's emotions. Who made you the arbiter of how people are allowed to react to this?

People can react however they want. It's equally ridiculous when people show up here after a regular season loss or when it's 2-2 in the Stanley Cup Finals and go on a rage tantrum about how the team stinks but that happens regularly.

ETA: that came out a lot more harshly than it was meant to, I am just tired of the whole situation. People are going to react how they react and it's nobody's business but theirs.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
"do you not like stanley cups gayle?"

HAHA just finished the whole thing. 1.I love these segments. 2.My goodness

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
A final salute is worthy - the crying and hysteria is insane. The guy gets to be THE face of a brand new franchise...that's a tremendous situation to be in. It's not like he's retiring for a disease, or got traded to a team like the Panthers that nobody cares about. This whole situation is getting crazy - and the feeding to the teeny bopper emotions is just ridiculous.

One fan went on to say this is the biggest mistake in franchise history. I can genuinely see why people hate our bandwagoners, they might very well be the most irrational people out there. I highly doubt any of these people watch the Pens night in and night out. The guy at my office who is a Fleury lobbyist, had absolutely no idea what Murray's stats were this year (that he was tied with Carey Price in save %) and just said 'We're doing him wrong' - yet had no recollection of his playoff failures or the continued re-upping of his contracts, giving him the NMC, etc.

All that being said... Seeing MAF in the Vegas jersey was a bit much last night and I'll miss the guy as a person. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Your public opinion will be met with support and counter arguments. Nothing wrong with that.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I find it more embarrassing that people think they are entitled to police other people's emotions. Who made you the arbiter of how people are allowed to react to this?

People can react however they want. It's equally ridiculous when people show up here after a regular season loss or when it's 2-2 in the Stanley Cup Finals and go on a rage tantrum about how the team stinks but that happens regularly.

ETA: that came out a lot more harshly than it was meant to, I am just tired of the whole situation. People are going to react how they react and it's nobody's business but theirs.

The biggest problem is people's obsession with what people say away from this board. The posts about what fans said on another team's board are just strange, and stuff like this is right up there.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Then don't post it online for EVERYONE to see if you don't want to be called out for nonsense.

Sure, it might be silly to obsess over other people's nonsense, but it's okay to call out over the top reactions.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Your public opinion will be mets with support and counter arguments. Nothing wrong with that.

It's one thing to say that you feel differently, it's a totally different thing to say that someone's opinion makes them pathetic. I recognize that Murray is the better choice for the team but I shed a tear when I saw Fleury in a VGK jersey last night. If that invalidates my 30+ years as a Pens fan in some people's eyes or makes me pathetic then whatever. I've been called worse by better.

Regardless, I'm sorry for even posting that link because this is the MAF appreciation thread and I guess I should have known that people wouldn't be able to just share a chuckle over the situation without making it ugly.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

People can act silly and wail about insignificant things like MAF leaving and act like it's some earth shattering thing... that's their right to act irrationally if they want.

I personally don't care about those people. I do get annoyed by the MAF fans that want to tear Murray down. It's actually pathetic to be honest. It's not like Murray is unaware of this nonsense and it would get to anyone after awhile.

My brother is a big MAF fan, but he likes Murray also. He doesn't see a need to tear down a guy that just won back to back cups and recognizes he's the future, while still appreciating MAF.

Murray outplayed MAF, quite significantly this season. It's just sad these people want to rag on him because MAF is some superhero to them.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's fine, but we're not talking about a bunch of racists here where there is a legit right and wrong way to feel and feeling one way is worthy of scorn. It's one thing to say that you feel differently, it's a totally different thing to say that someone's opinion makes them pathetic. I recognize that Murray is the better choice for the team but I shed a tear when I saw Fleury in a VGK jersey last night. If that invalidates my 30+ years as a Pens fan in some people's eyes or makes me pathetic then whatever. I've been called worse by better.

Regardless, I'm sorry for even posting that link because this is the MAF appreciation thread and I guess I should have known that people wouldn't be able to just share a chuckle over the situation without making it ugly.

Shedding a tear is cool, but saying "I WOULD TRADE THE STANLEY CUP TO KEEP MAF" is an insane opinion. I guess you are allowed to have it (not you, but people), but it can still be nonsensical and worthy of being laughed at.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
He could not have handled this situation any better. He is a class act.

All the best to you MAF.

BTW - I don't understand the complaints about how people are reacting. As a lifelong fan, it is sad to see MAF move on and some of these interviews have been emotional. He's one of the good ones and has been a big part of the Penguins for a long time. Losing that is sad. I don't care what you think.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
That's fine, but we're not talking about a bunch of racists here where there is a legit right and wrong way to feel and feeling one way is worthy of scorn. It's one thing to say that you feel differently, it's a totally different thing to say that someone's opinion makes them pathetic. I recognize that Murray is the better choice for the team but I shed a tear when I saw Fleury in a VGK jersey last night. If that invalidates my 30+ years as a Pens fan in some people's eyes or makes me pathetic then whatever. I've been called worse by better.

Genuinely - the 'hate' here is not specifically over the crying (though some of it is) - it's over the "CRYING", aka whining and irrational comments. It's the teenagers who wish their parents dead after not getting their way... These people who wished nothing more than for the Pens to lose after benching Fleury, would have preferred NO cup than to lose him, and calling this the biggest mistake in franchise history. On top of that, it's the non-stop crying comments that people are just so freakin soft it's embarrassing. We just won the cup back-to-back with a rookie goaltender who posted 2 shutouts to finish it. Our coach got scorned on coach of the year... and all the comments are as if the Penguins franchise is dead. Society just caters to the weak and social media has made things like this a hot bed for socially inept folks to gang together over any and every 'cause' imaginable.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Shedding a tear is cool, but saying "I WOULD TRADE THE STANLEY CUP TO KEEP MAF" is an insane opinion. I guess you are allowed to have it (not you, but people), but it can still be nonsensical and worthy of being laughed at.

I don't disagree that there are over the top opinions, as there are on everything. The specific post I was initially responding to wasn't about extremely over the top reactions though, it was about reactions that seem to be pretty common right now and basically amounted to "get over it, you're embarrassing me."

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
I hope they never stop complaining. It's free entertainment. Will be rooting for MAF in Vegas and I hope he does well there. Hope the Pens shell him when they play against knights though.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sad to see Fleury go. Nice guy and all but who cares. I'm a Penguins fan, not a Marc-Andre Fleury fan.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
so that jersey that Fleury wore, other then I don't like it, why isn't there a "29" on it? I mean either he is changing his number, why? Or vegas couldn't have a jersey with the right # on it? why?

Or is there something special about "17"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino