Marc-Andre Fleury Appreciation Thread (Selected by Vegas in exchange for 2020 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Wow dude is really loved in this city. He's a great human, but I've never really been a huge fan of his (wouldn't own a jersey shirt or jersey of his). Maybe that makes me a dick :laugh:

Of course, I'm not the kind of guy to go to Dicks or anywhere else to meet a player.

I've never seen anything like it. I'm not a Fleury-ite either, but good for him.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Care to make a wager for this?

I doubt that Fleury wins a Vezina, but the ideas behind the theory makes sense.

If you look at who they have to pick from, Vegas will be fairly good defensively, but will be extremely challenged to score. It is not only possible but likely that they trap and protect the goalie, trying to win low scoring games. The Sens took the Pens to double overtime with a version of that system.

If that likely scenario plays out expect Fleury, who we saw what he could do in the playoffs, to have a pretty sparkling GAA and save percentage.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I think people should be prepared for a very realistic scenerio where Vegas plays very defensively since they are going to be loaded with 3/4 Dmen and not really have high end talented centers to take risks offensively, which means Fluery has a great year and gets a lot of Vezina votes based off of his story, good guy rep, and that he is out of the Pens shadow.... Maybe even wins it...

The non canadian Voters will be all about his redemption story... Im still not sure the canadians ones have forgiven him for that Jr's thing

I think the premise is almost guaranteed. Vegas will be lacking top end offensive talent barring some unforeseen moves. They'll play safe and defensive considering they'll likely have a decent blueline and goalie. Given those parameters, I could see any decent starter getting decent #s. At least aside from W/L. If it's MAF for 60+ games, I wouldn't be shocked to see good stats. Not Vezina #s, but good story though.

JimsDoors

May 11, 2010
Tri-State County
Here's an article on the 2003 NHL draft that Madden wrote and posted on his blog. It's while he was writing for the P-P-Gazette.

Pretty cool read.

Saturday, June 21, 2003

"My advice to the Penguins for the first round of the NHL draft today is simple: Take the goalie.

Trade up if necessary. If it takes sending injury-riddled forward Martin Straka and the third pick to Florida for the first pick, do it. But take the goalie. Take Marc-Andre Fleury, the phenom from Cape Breton of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Do whatever is needed, but take the goalie...

http://old.post-gazette.com/sports/columnists/20030621madden0621p1.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

May 17, 2009
Maine
Love Flower but these people lining up to 'say goodbye' to him. What exactly are they going to say? Seems awkward for anyone over the age of fifteen.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Biggest problem with his game over the years was mental. Now that he turned his career around in Pitt and ended it on top(yeah he didnt finish but knows he was a big factor)...I see him being great in Vegas. He can relax now and just play.

Like others have said, with the defense they are going to have...that will help even more.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Love Flower but these people lining up to 'say goodbye' to him. What exactly are they going to say? Seems awkward for anyone over the age of fifteen.

Thank you for the years of entertainment you provided me, thanks for the memories and good luck.

I wouldn't go, but if I were to run by him, I would surely tell him. I have been a fan of the guy since before he was drafted. It is time to go, but I wouldn't feel awkward thanking him. Wouldn't stand in line to do it though :laugh:

I have met him three times at charity tournaments and cannot say too many good things about the guy. Absolute class act. Grade A human being. His wife too. Their kids are going to be raised by fantastic people.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

For me, it was a chance to shake his hand and simply say thank you for 14 years of entertainment and being a great ambassador of the team.

MAF was my last "favorite player." My friends and I skipped school in 10th grade to go down to watch his first day of training camp. We were able to buy student rush tickets for $20 5 minutes before face off, and were right on the glass for his first game, his first win, and a lot of 5-1 losses where he still amazed everyone with 40 saves. I think people forget how much of a big deal he was when he was drafted. He was compared to Roy and Brodeur and was the face and hope of the dumpster fire that was the Pittsburgh Penguins before the lockout.

Obviously, since then I've gotten older and have more important things going on in my life. I really don't have any attachment to individual players any more...really I just want to see good hockey, but Fleury reminded me of a time when I lived and died with every game those teams lost 6-2. Is it silly to want to thank a guy for that? Probably, but I'm glad I was able to do it.

BG

Oct 28, 2015
For me, it was a chance to shake his hand and simply say thank you for 14 years of entertainment and being a great ambassador of the team.

MAF was my last "favorite player." My friends and I skipped school in 10th grade to go down to watch his first day of training camp. We were able to buy student rush tickets for $20 5 minutes before face off, and were right on the glass for his first game, his first win, and a lot of 5-1 losses where he still amazed everyone with 40 saves. I think people forget how much of a big deal he was when he was drafted. He was compared to Roy and Brodeur and was the face and hope of the dumpster fire that was the Pittsburgh Penguins before the lockout.

Obviously, since then I've gotten older and have more important things going on in my life. I really don't have any attachment to individual players any more...really I just want to see good hockey, but Fleury reminded me of a time when I lived and died with every game those teams lost 6-2. Is it silly to want to thank a guy for that? Probably, but I'm glad I was able to do it.

that's awesome man. Glad you were able to see him.

MAF is just a good person. He's been an excellent role model for the young people in the city (and world) for a long time.

I will miss him and his contagious energy and good attitude. I was so happy he got to "redeem" himself these last few playoffs.

Farewell MAF, best wishes to you and your family. (Hope you get a boatload of money)

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I agree, but some people spend hours at their computers pondering the future of Ethan Prow and yukking it up over Carter Rowney memes. Just saying to each their own :laugh:

perfectly put.

some people don't have an issue showing their creepiness in public, some choose to hide it behind a computer screen.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
some people don't have an issue showing their creepiness in public, some choose to hide it behind a computer screen.

That's what we call the "right" choice that enables one to still live near schools.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Habs fan in peace.

Congrats on the Cup.

Just wanted to join in on MAF, top player but real genuine nice guy. He clearly really loved it there. Does his jersey get retired when he is done ?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for posting those Jaded. I never connected with MAF like so many others in the city did, but man is he a good guy. I wish him nothing but the best in the future.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Habs fan in peace.

Congrats on the Cup.

Just wanted to join in on MAF, top player but real genuine nice guy. He clearly really loved it there. Does his jersey get retired when he is done ?

Doubt it; the only retired numbers are Mario and Briere (who died as an active player in the early seasons). They have a "Ring of Honor" which is tribute to many other stars and legends of the franchise though, and he will definitely go there. They may as well paint him in over the off-season IMO.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Here's the thing about Fleury: He's at his worst when facing fewer pucks. I think he'll do very well in Vegas because he'll get bombarded and the fans will think he's amazing. When it comes to being a closer on a favoured team... Fleury's track record is ugly.

So, it's a great move for him. Happy for him. I won't be surprised when people are pointing to his excellent stats and claiming he's better than Murray.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
b0fd0ecf58acf15c74c43da9741d7367.jpg

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING MAF!!!

All the very best to you and your family.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad