Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs sign Brad Boyes to 1 year $700k deal.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
What we've shown this offseason is that we have no problem filling our bottom 6 with free agents on short term deals. There is no organizational need to develop prospects into bottom six players.

Trading Panik for a 4th is really trading Panik for a 4th and whatever his replacement brings in at the TDL. Those picks are more likely to become a top 6 player than Panik ever is.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
What we've shown this offseason is that we have no problem filling our bottom 6 with free agents on short term deals. There is no organizational need to develop prospects into bottom six players.

Trading Panik for a 4th is really trading Panik for a 4th and whatever his replacement brings in at the TDL. Those picks are more likely to become a top 6 player than Panik ever is.

A 4th round pick or 2 is more likely to become a top 6 player than an NHL player who is 24? They are not even likely enough to reach his level where he's at now! Do you know the math behind the odds of making the NHL outside of the first round? Which team who has won a cup recently has a yearly turnover of bottom 6 players? While it is nice to fill depth roles while were rebuilding to help insulate the youth, there is no point in trading a bonafide NHL player at 24 for a 4th rounder... It is honestly not only asinine, it is insanity... been down that road before.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
A 4th round pick or 2 is more likely to become a top 6 player than an NHL player who is 24? They are not even likely enough to reach his level where he's at now! Do you know the math behind the odds of making the NHL outside of the first round? Which team who has won a cup recently has a yearly turnover of bottom 6 players? While it is nice to fill depth roles while were rebuilding to help insulate the youth, there is no point in trading a bonafide NHL player at 24 for a 4th rounder... It is honestly not only asinine, it is insanity... been down that road before.

Have you heard of a statistical concept called variance? Someone can be both more likely to bust and more likely to make the top 6. We know what we have in Panik, and it's not a top 6 player. He might have a 1% chance of becoming the a top 6 player. While a 4th and another pick have at least a greater than 1% chance of becoming a top 6 player.

Would you trade Panik for Timashov and Marincin? Because that's what we could do with another two 4ths. Not to mention Boyes can probably get more than a 4th.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Nobody would be offering a 4th rounder for Panik during the waiver period.

Good thing Babcock likes players like Komarov & Panik.

Last edited:

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Really not sure why the Leafs are supposedly interested in Zajac. Isn't this exactly what the Leafs were trying to get away from? 30 years of age with 5 more years of an annual $5.75 mil contract, not getting that at all. Did they not learn from cutting corners over that last few decades? Lets hope they stay far away from this one.The Shanaplan has been great so far, lets leave it that way!

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Really not sure why the Leafs are supposedly interested in Zajac. Isn't this exactly what the Leafs were trying to get away from? 30 years of age with 5 more years of an annual $5.75 mil contract, not getting that at all. Did they not learn from cutting corners over that last few decades? Lets hope they stay far away from this one.The Shanaplan has been great so far, lets leave it that way!

I don't think that they're after Zajac... they just might have to take him if they want the 2016 1st, Zacha, etc.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I don't think that they're after Zajac... they just might have to take him if they want the 2016 1st, Zacha, etc.

Well considering that NJD won't be trading Zacha or their lottery pick there is no need to worry. It was just more clickbait.

This is a Boyes thread... why the hell is Zajac being discussed?

Happy to see Boyes home in the lue and white. Here's to a good year from him.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
He's been the best of three on PTOs and thus got the contract.
Well-deserved and welcome to the team. Funny to see it come full-circle for him.

I would have taken a chance on Glencross too, just based on past pedigree. Sad to see him go.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Have you heard of a statistical concept called variance? Someone can be both more likely to bust and more likely to make the top 6. We know what we have in Panik, and it's not a top 6 player. He might have a 1% chance of becoming the a top 6 player. While a 4th and another pick have at least a greater than 1% chance of becoming a top 6 player.

Would you trade Panik for Timashov and Marincin? Because that's what we could do with another two 4ths. Not to mention Boyes can probably get more than a 4th.

Yes I do know what variance is, and we also don't "know" what we have in Panik as his peak is not hit. He is still young. Just because you seemingly don't like the guy doesn't mean he has no potential. Lets talk about probability. The probability that Timashov makes the NHL let alone be a top 6 forward is small. Panik has already done that step.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yes I do know what variance is, and we also don't "know" what we have in Panik as his peak is not hit. He is still young. Just because you seemingly don't like the guy doesn't mean he has no potential. Lets talk about probability. The probability that Timashov makes the NHL let alone be a top 6 forward is small. Panik has already done that step.

But a part of rebuilding is to keep taking chances like Timashov until you strike gold. To do that we need picks, to get picks we need to trade players with some value.

As for Panik, he's a meh third liner right now. He doesn't strike me as a player with a lot of untapped potential. He could perhaps develop more and become a good third liner, but his untapped potential isn't enough to give him a strategic edge over for example signing a Boyes, who has outplayed him.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
are some people here really complaining about leo?

leo is the only guy that is noticeable like every game, even when hes not producing pts...plays super hard, doesnt stop skating, chances the puck and finishes every hit...work the boards, doesn't shy from any area on the ice, great on the PT

u gotta love guys like this, and every team need a few of these on ur bottom 6...hes near elite at his role...and even gave us some pts last year
Exactly. Some people who have followed the sport for years and years notice these things.
Leo should be a franchise player for us forever. So long he plays for. That's the exact reason I use him as my team's avatar logo.

He just does it every game and every shift. No hanging around shifts for him. There are players who just jump on the ice every now and then. Komarov is a real juice killer.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
But a part of rebuilding is to keep taking chances like Timashov until you strike gold. To do that we need picks, to get picks we need to trade players with some value.

As for Panik, he's a meh third liner right now. He doesn't strike me as a player with a lot of untapped potential. He could perhaps develop more and become a good third liner, but his untapped potential isn't enough to give him a strategic edge over for example signing a Boyes, who has outplayed him.

If you're banking a rebuild on "taking chances" on 4th rounders making a difference then I wouldn't have much faith in that rebuild.

Why are so many fans so willing to take chances on draft picks over young players?

If you're willing to take chances, to me it is far better to take a chance on an actual player than some fictional draft pick. The odds of Panik making the NHL - 100%, the odds of a 4th rounder likely <35% if not less. The odds of Panik being a 3rd Liner - >85%, the odds of a 4th rounder being a 3rd liner <20%, the odds of Panik being top 6 >20%, the odds of a 4th rounder being top six <5%. The math speaks for itself.

I'm all for rebuilding and grabbing picks but not at the expense of current young players. We have time to develop them and mold them. If Panik only ever turns out to be a 3rd liner, then we have time to make him one of the best.

Anyone considering dumping young players for picks needs to seriously reexamine the definition of a rebuild. There is enough older talent to trade for picks, enough roster/cap room not to have to dump young players and a great system for them to grow.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Kessel replacement and more. Boyes is a former 30 and 40 goal scorer.

Yes but that's not going to happen. Where's the:sarcasm:.

Hell pot 12-15 on a third line with occasional pp time.

Haven't read through the entire thread but hopefully expectations are not a 1st rounder in a TDL return. Whatever we get will be good. And $700k is not dirt cheap. Its about what you expect in this kind of circumstances.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Honestly, getting a 4th for Panik is GREAT asset management. He was a free wallet and it gives you a toy for Hunter to use in June. Look at how great our draft was considered past the third round. I think it's a great idea to get a 4th for him if you can.

Don't we have to wait a bit to see these guys in some NHL games before we call it a good draft (beyond the 3rd)? Are we are counting our chickens already?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

We do need more picks, which is why I advocate for trading the older, more expensive 3rd to 4th liner in Komarov who can likely return us a better asset than a 4th. Once we are ready to compete he'll be in his 30s.. he's already had an injury that I don't feel he's recovered from (or ever will) and his playing style doesn't scream longevity. We like him because he's seemingly a great guy for the dressing room, but let us not fall in love with players.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
We do need more picks, which is why I advocate for trading the older, more expensive 3rd to 4th liner in Komarov who can likely return us a better asset than a 4th. Once we are ready to compete he'll be in his 30s.. he's already had an injury that I don't feel he's recovered from (or ever will) and his playing style doesn't scream longevity. We like him because he's seemingly a great guy for the dressing room, but let us not fall in love with players.

Very much agree.

No curent player on the team <27 should be traded for anything other than 1st or high 2nd. Other than that the odds just don't make it worth the risk.

This includes players who may not be top 6. You're not going to win with a top six of great players and a bottom six of **** cause you mismanaged the assets for the bottom lines.

I really rather not go the Edmonton route and have to bank on winning a lottery and another McDavid.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

no one wants expensive 3rd/4th liners , neither Panik nor Komo are worth anything at this moment , at some point during this season one of our cheap depth players might return a pick but the expensive ones will still not be in demand

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014

Be ready and alarmed to see Komarov being our BEST player this season again. He was that early on last season too. Now he's ready again, not injured at all. Driving around. Hitting everybody, talking, scoring, playing D, hitting again.... doing it in EVERY shift.

Our best player and franchise model.

Komarov will keep with us for years, years to come. Just like Tucker. The crowd loves this s**t. Coach babcock will love him even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad