Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Re-Sign Kasimir Kaskisuo to two year, two way contract

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So now the question is, what to do with Pickard. McIllhenney is gone no doubt. Sparks will be the back up
Not necessarily. CMac did well last year and if all things are equal at training camp, Babcock gives the tie to the vet.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Pretty simple here, they are anticipating that Sparks will play for the leafs next season and they need someone half decent to take his place on the Marlies

Seems like a likely scenario. Its a risk because McBackup was good in the role, but you have to show progression throughout the system. Sparks has good numbers in the A, so he should be given a shot to win the job at camp.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No doubt because last year's save % was an anomaly and it is clear that Andersen needs a back up capable of playing ~25 games. Babcock does not have that confidence in Mcillhenney.
Where do you get the information Babcock doesn't trust Mcillhenney?
The leafs had a plan to start the season were Andersen played all the games and
Mcillhenney played the back ends of back to backs.
I think you may need more tinfoil on this one.

Aside from that, love me some Finnish goaltenders. Kaskisuo has had a quietly good pro start and was very good with Duluth

Reactions: Griffin76

Growler

May 16, 2018
Where do you get the information Babcock doesn't trust Mcillhenney?
The leafs had a plan to start the season were Andersen played all the games and
Mcillhenney played the back ends of back to backs.
I think you may need more tinfoil on this one.

Aside from that, love me some Finnish goaltenders. Kaskisuo has had a quietly good pro start and was very good with Duluth
Please. That was the plan to minimize his starts. Andersen was clearly over worked.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Not necessarily. CMac did well last year and if all things are equal at training camp, Babcock gives the tie to the vet.
Babcock can only give positions to players who are on the Maple Leafs roster - If Dubas wants one of Sparks or Pickard behind Freddy next year, CMac won't be around as an option.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
no doubt? it is just as likely sparks is gone than Mcillhenney. He has experience and played really well last year. I mean its possible but in no way is it "no doubt" its 50/50 who goes really maybe even pickard goes
The Leafs are not like.y going to lose the AHL's best goalie who is 25 years old for a 34 year old Mcelhinney who only has 2 good NHL seasons on his resume.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Despite not being with the Marlies last season, I think he was in a perfect spot for the organization.

With both Sparks & Pickard on the team, it was probable that he would have been bounced back and forth from the ECHL & some spot starts in the AHL. Instead he starts a majority of the games with another AHL team.

I think that Kaskisuo will provide the role in which Pickard had this year & Pickard will be the #1 with the Marlies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Could be but I am thinking he is fully available as of right now to all interested.

The off-season before free agency would be the best time to do it. There aren't a ton of quality back-ups this off-season aside from maybe Carter Hutton & Jonathan Bernier (who had a very good year for Colorado). Maybe at the draft or in a package for a defenseman.

The later that you hold on to him going into next season, the more teams are going to circle around and try to poach Sparks.

Teams are going to realize that they will either be able to pick up McElhinney on waivers for nothing or the best goalie in the AHL this season for nothing.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
There is a chance that Dubas isn't a fan of Pickard and moves him. Who knows how much input he had into acquiring him.

I think Pickard is gone this summer. He hasn't outperformed Sparks, but still had a solid AHL season and has a chunk of NHL experience. Lots of teams don't have anyone like that in their system and he is a luxury to have sitting in the #2 Marlies spot. If Sparks shoots the lights out in camp and CM gets dealt then Kaski is the Marlies #1 guy and they reach out for a backup. I don't think they keep Pickard around as insurance for losing Sparks.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think Pickard is gone this summer. He hasn't outperformed Sparks, but still had a solid AHL season and has a chunk of NHL experience. Lots of teams don't have anyone like that in their system and he is a luxury to have sitting in the #2 Marlies spot. If Sparks shoots the lights out in camp and CM gets dealt then Kaski is the Marlies #1 guy and they reach out for a backup. I don't think they keep Pickard around as insurance for losing Sparks.

The same could have been said last off-season when Pickard was acquired at the start of the season. I questioned the move because Sparks looked to be the clear starter and I really thought that Pickard should have been in the NHL. Instead, he stayed the entire season (minus 1 game in Colorado) with the Marlies and was a very good 1-2 punch.

I wouldn't be shocked that he split time with Kaskisuo.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Have to imagine he's the backup for the Marlies next year, just one move in what should turn out to be a series of moves. The beginning of the end for one of our goalies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The Leafs are not like.y going to lose the AHL's best goalie who is 25 years old for a 34 year old Mcelhinney who only has 2 good NHL seasons on his resume.

we are talking about backup goalies here, it really doesn't matter who we lose. Sparks hasn't even proved he can be an NHL backup yet (obviously a bit tough to prove without being given a shot). I really don't care which of our 4 backups we end up losing. We have Ian Scott and Joseph Woll coming into the marlies soon enough too. Picakrd, Kaskisuo and sparks on the marlies and McElhinney on the leafs we will be losing at least 2 of (Mc, Sparks and Pickard) as I believe Sparks and pickard require waivers now, assuming of course they get picked up off waivers

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Have to imagine he's the backup for the Marlies next year, just one move in what should turn out to be a series of moves. The beginning of the end for one of our goalies.

I think he has a shot at the starting job. Depends who else they decide to bring in. You can bet it will be a one year guy though, because both Woll and Scott could be options for the Marlies starting next year. Woll won't be on the team next year, but the two year deal for Kaskisuo could be their way of saying Woll is staying in the NCAA until he graduates, or that it'll be competition between Woll and Scott for the Marlies backup job next year (unless we move Kaskisuo up to the NHL or out).

Personally, I'd trade Marincin's rights for Domingue's rights and let him be the 3rd goalie. He has shown flashes of being a capable backup in the NHL despite playing behind poor teams in Arizona. I thought he may have even been able to be a decent starter some day. Could be another Pickard type acquisition who could turn into something good for us down the line, as he is only 26 (which is also Marincin's age, and Tampa would probably jump at the chance to add Marincin for their farm team). At the very least, he'd be good insurance and competition for someone like Sparks, and he likely wouldn't get claimed if put on waivers.

Last edited:

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Must be Marlies bound. Wonder if Lou would be interested in a Martin, goalie package for a pick.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
No offense, but none of the 3 goalies talked about here are anything more than a 25 game NHL starter at best.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not sure about that, but there's still no point to lose the superior goalie who's 24 in order to keep a 35 year old

He’s 35 and just a career year. Not to mention, he’s never shown in his career he can be the type of goalie that can sustain a .930

Agreed though, youth needs to be given the preference here. Leafs have invested 6 years of development into Sparks - would be silly to throw it away now

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I just still don't see McElhinney as an above average backup. I think he is average at best. We can't expect the same numbers from him next season. He can bomb and be put on waivers before Christmas very easily. Having said that, I won't lose sleep at all about losing some backup goalies for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad