Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Re-Sign Kasimir Kaskisuo to two year, two way contract

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Half-decent stats with the Chicago Wolves last year. He'll be 25 to start the season, so I can't imagine he re-upped for 2 years with the idea that he'd be spending that time in the ECHL - More fuel to the fire as far as moving a Goaltender this off-season is concerned.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He was pretty solid for Chicago but suffered injuries that sort of slowed him down.

He'll be with the Marlies next season for sure. Not sure who will be his partner though.

Reactions: iSophagus

Growler

May 16, 2018
So now the question is, what to do with Pickard. McIllhenney is gone no doubt. Sparks will be the back up

DianaHump

Apr 22, 2018
Great choice I saw him play a few times with UMD and he has talent !
2IEvMC0

2kfXDtv

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
So now the question is, what to do with Pickard. McIllhenney is gone no doubt. Sparks will be the back up

no doubt? it is just as likely sparks is gone than Mcillhenney. He has experience and played really well last year. I mean its possible but in no way is it "no doubt" its 50/50 who goes really maybe even pickard goes

Reactions: saltming

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think leafs management may try to cash in on sparks in trade. He is playing really well for the marlies but I don't think he has NHL starter upside, sell him off now to a team who hopes he may have that upside (in a package of course). I think most likely scenario is a package for a dman where sparks is 3rd or 4th best piece but a nice piece

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Signing Kaskisuo to a two year deal could mean they potentially see him as a backup option down the line as well. Could just as easily say McElhinney gets the job next year and then Kaskisuo takes over the year after. Obviously needs to prove himself on the Marlies next year, but Kaskisuo was one of the AHL's better goalies last year, despite what the stats say. Get him a year with our goalie coaches and I think he could easily challenge for one of the top jobs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nice, well deserved.

no doubt? it is just as likely sparks is gone than Mcillhenney. He has experience and played really well last year. I mean its possible but in no way is it "no doubt" its 50/50 who goes really maybe even pickard goes

True, though I think the former Marlies GM may be more inclined to keep Sparks/Picard over Mcillhenney.

Though if another team shows significant interest in Sparks i could see a trade happen.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is this the Finnish goalie that is also a Rapper?

Growler

May 16, 2018
No doubt because last year's save % was an anomaly and it is clear that Andersen needs a back up capable of playing ~25 games. Babcock does not have that confidence in Mcillhenney.

Reactions: Menzinger

Growler

May 16, 2018
Signing Kaskisuo to a two year deal could mean they potentially see him as a backup option down the line as well. Could just as easily say McElhinney gets the job next year and then Kaskisuo takes over the year after. Obviously needs to prove himself on the Marlies next year, but Kaskisuo was one of the AHL's better goalies last year, despite what the stats say. Get him a year with our goalie coaches and I think he could easily challenge for one of the top jobs.
The stats say he was top 10 actually, so that confirms your point. I think Kaskisou needs stability more than anything else. His best hockey is in front of him now.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Is it just me, but every time I see this name, I think of Led Zeppelin?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Potentially tough to be sure of retaining all of McElhinney, Sparks and Pickard due to waivers, so this certainly helps out with depth. No complaints with two years and a two-way contract.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He was pretty good last year after we loaned him out. We almost had to do this given the possibility of not being able to get any of our other goalies through waivers next year there had to be a backup option to be the Marlies starter. I don't expect KK has much NHL upside but can't completely rule it out I guess.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Definitely sounds like they've got him pencilled in as a Marlie next year.

Very curious to see who will be between the pipes out of Sparks and McBackup and I'd actually be surprised if a decision is made before training camp.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think leafs management may try to cash in on sparks in trade. He is playing really well for the marlies but I don't think he has NHL starter upside, sell him off now to a team who hopes he may have that upside (in a package of course). I think most likely scenario is a package for a dman where sparks is 3rd or 4th best piece but a nice piece

Player has almost zero value in trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad