Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Re-Sign Kasimir Kaskisuo to two year, two way contract

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
how many goalies played 60-65 plus?

i am truly wondering WHY exactly he played so much.
most hockey circles don't even put "starter" mantle on you if you can't hit 60.

Teams are more careful about how they use there starters now days Daisy and will be down on what the numbers used to be (in think)

Even if he is a 65+ games a season guy why bother when you've got a playoff spot and position #3 in the Atlantic locked up by February?

Made no sense to me

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Teams are more careful about how they use there starters now days Daisy and will be down on what the numbers used to be (in think)

Even if he is a 65+ games a season guy why bother when you've got a playoff spot and position #3 in the Atlantic locked up by February?

Made no sense to me

yah. it was weird.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I get your point but skaters and goalies are a bad comparison imo
Different wear and tear on their bodies

Since both of those guys games dropped off massively towards the back end of the season (and we still continued to overplay both of them) and they were both leaned on heavily early i think it's a fair comparison

We had a playoff spot sorted by February so why play Andersen that much and play Hainsey (he's old to) every game with league high PK time?

It was head scratching to say the least

Reactions: rubous

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Since both of those guys games dropped off massively towards the back end of the season (and we still continued to overplay both of them) and they were both leaned on heavily early i think it's a fair comparison

We had a playoff spot sorted by February so why play Andersen that much and play Hainsey (he's old to) every game with league high PK time?

I could just see Hainsey out on a lawn chair relaxing, getting flashbacks of the penalty kill, man he looked dead tired towards the end of the season, he was a total beast that just got overworked.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Made no sense to me

Maybe Babcock didn't like Andrew Raycroft... :sarcasm:

Reactions: Elephanto and Kiwi

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The same could have been said last off-season when Pickard was acquired at the start of the season. I questioned the move because Sparks looked to be the clear starter and I really thought that Pickard should have been in the NHL. Instead, he stayed the entire season (minus 1 game in Colorado) with the Marlies and was a very good 1-2 punch.

I wouldn't be shocked that he split time with Kaskisuo.

I kind of think he was brought in as insurance in case Sparks went south instead of north this season. They wanted another guy to push for the backup role and gave up almost nothing to get him, but McBackup had a great year as did Sparks, so he proved unnecessary. He has got to be worth a 4th rounder at least, maybe a 3rd. Kaski went from a question mark to what looks like a bonafide AHL goalie with the Wolves, but he doesn't seem like a guy you could anoint with the number one role with the Marlies yet. If Sparks stole the backup job in camp I don't think CM makes it through waivers so then they need a quality AHL starter. I just think Pickard is overkill for an AHL filler. They can deal him for a pick or trade as part of a package and then replace him with a Bibeau/Gibson type of a guy who has shown they can handle a number one load.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I could just see Hainsey out on a lawn chair relaxing, getting flashbacks of the penalty kill, man he looked dead tired towards the end of the season, he was a total beast that just got overworked.

I had a lot of admiration for him, at his age that must have been ****** hard

Maybe Babcock didn't like Andrew Raycroft... :sarcasm:

There's a name that will bring on the old PTSD

Reactions: rubous

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I'm not trying to support the logic of playing him so many games.
I'm saying he can increase his endurance is all.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I kind of think he was brought in as insurance in case Sparks went south instead of north this season. They wanted another guy to push for the backup role and gave up almost nothing to get him, but McBackup had a great year as did Sparks, so he proved unnecessary. He has got to be worth a 4th rounder at least, maybe a 3rd. Kaski went from a question mark to what looks like a bonafide AHL goalie with the Wolves, but he doesn't seem like a guy you could anoint with the number one role with the Marlies yet. If Sparks stole the backup job in camp I don't think CM makes it through waivers so then they need a quality AHL starter. I just think Pickard is overkill for an AHL filler. They can deal him for a pick or trade as part of a package and then replace him with a Bibeau/Gibson type of a guy who has shown they can handle a number one load.

I would agree that Pickard was brought in for insurance, but I believe that it was also to fill out some depth within the organization.

I mentioned in a prior post that I believe that you have to trade McElhinney this off-season. You're going to be pressed with a choice for back-up. You are going to lose 1 of McElhinney or Sparks on waivers if it comes to it. You either go with the 35 year old who had a very solid year, but has 1 year left on his deal or you run with the 25 year old best goalie in the AHL that becomes an RFA after next season.

You absolutely could find another goalie to play in the AHL if you want to, but I think that Pickard will start the year as the Marlies #1 & Kaskisuo will be the #2.

For reference, Sparks played 43 games this year, Pickard played 33, Kaskisuo (for the Marlies) played 1 - 29 total & Ian Scott played 1.

I could see Pickard getting another 10 games on top of what he played this year, while adding another 3 to what Kaskisuo had total, would be reasonable for the team.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Time to move on from mcelhinney.

See who shows up in camp between Sparks Pickard Kaskisuo

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Whatever it takes to win in the playoffs Salt, if your guaranteed a playoff spot by February you should be playing or not playing in this case players towards that aim
Whatever it takes to win the cup!
Again I'm not arguing about why he should or shouldn't have played Andersen down the stretch.
I am with you with the thought that they should have rested him

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Arguing wins are more important than save % is true, but selective. Is there anyone out here that thinks a higher save % isn't helpful in potentially winning more games? Yes, I want the goalie who wins, but I also would like the goalie with a high save % as it helps the team not having to rely solely on offense to win a game. As to Andersen, I'll be surprised if he plays as many games this coming year as he did this past year. I can't remember which goaltending coach said it, but effectively, he argued that in today's game a goalie is not so much worn down physically, as mentally. With the number of players on the ice who can fire the puck with authority having increased dramatically over the years, the goaltender has less of a chance to take a mental break during the course of a game. He must constantly 'be on'. This leads to mental fatigue and I think we can say (perhaps) that the evidence in this year's playoffs supports that supposition: the goalies with the 4 highest total minutes this past season are all out of the playoffs, and not one of them played as well as we have seen them play. By contrast, Holtby ranked 18th in minutes played, while MAF came in at 25th.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Arguing wins are more important than save % is true, but selective. Is there anyone out here that thinks a higher save % isn't helpful in potentially winning more games? Yes, I want the goalie who wins, but I also would like the goalie with a high save % as it helps the team not having to rely solely on offense to win a game. As to Andersen, I'll be surprised if he plays as many games this coming year as he did this past year. I can't remember which goaltending coach said it, but effectively, he argued that in today's game a goalie is not so much worn down physically, as mentally. With the number of players on the ice who can fire the puck with authority having increased dramatically over the years, the goaltender has less of a chance to take a mental break during the course of a game. He must constantly 'be on'. This leads to mental fatigue and I think we can say (perhaps) that the evidence in this year's playoffs supports that supposition: the goalies with the 4 highest total minutes this past season are all out of the playoffs, and not one of them played as well as we have seen them play. By contrast, Holtby ranked 18th in minutes played, while MAF came in at 25th.

not for a backup.
like Noodles from overdrive really broke this down. he's like when it comes to backups people focus so much on numbers like they are starters. you need to know if they're capable of winning/stealing you the game and helping you get the win. that's it.

for a backup, i'd rather the backup have 10 wins and the worst save percentage in the league, vs. running away with the jennings (if he was eligible) and has 0.

Reactions: Cotton

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
why? because everything has to be analytical and spreadsheet all the time?
if you are a starter, sure you want to make sure your numbers are stellar, i suppose.
but if you're on a 5 game road, and the 2nd of the back/back get the win. i'd rathe that then a sparkling save% and he can't buy a win to save his life.

team or not, at the end of the day, win. that's what counts.

Because using a team stat - wins - tells you absolutely nothing about how the goalie performed.....

You have a goalie who stops 2/30 shots and loses still played a much better game than the goalie who let in 4/30 and won. To say otherwise you’re just giving the goalie credit for the team’s forwards outscoring his lousy play.

It’s a terrible way to evaluate goaltending - for backups or starters. And the idea that we should evaluate backups differently than starters is also bunk. Yes they’re likely not going to be as good as a starter, but the fundamentals remain the same - how many pucks can they stop.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
imo this doesn't change anything for the goalie's I expect all 3 of Sparks/Pickard/McBackup to be at camp and someone will win the job and the other 2 will be placed on waivers, as an RFA why wouldn't we re-sign kasimir? if neither of the other goalie's get claimed I'm sure we can loan him out again. if 1 does get claimed it's no big deal and Kasimir will battle for games on the Marlies. if we didn't sign another goalie and 2 of the goalie's get claimed who would be the Marlies goalie's? since he was an RFA he was always being re-signed but he also provides insurance.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
not for a backup.
like Noodles from overdrive really broke this down. he's like when it comes to backups people focus so much on numbers like they are starters. you need to know if they're capable of winning/stealing you the game and helping you get the win. that's it.

for a backup, i'd rather the backup have 10 wins and the worst save percentage in the league, vs. running away with the jennings (if he was eligible) and has 0.

Respectfully disagree with you and Noodles, Daisy. I'm not arguing that wins are not more important, I believe that regardless of starter or backup, the chances of a goalie getting the W increase as the Save % improves.

TwoPadStack35

May 30, 2018
Kaskisuo is a solid minor league goalie that gives the organization some depth and can be called up in a drastic situation. Can't see Pickard resigning as he is too good to be a 3b/4 on the depth chart. In my opinion, Sparks has the potential to be a serviceable backup in the NHL but nothing more. I don't think his numbers on a very good AHL will automatically translate into being a regular NHL goalie. McElhinney had a very good this year and he only has one year left on his contract. I think its low risk to have McElhinney as the backup this year then make way for Sparks or someone from outside the organization.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
not for a backup.

like that could ever statistically happen! LOLOL

say, no to "statistics!" say no to "reality" or "science". go with the *winner.&^<$#

Reactions: Boutette

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Player (Sparks) has almost zero value in trade.

Let me get this straight:

- When an 18 year old win's OHL/WHL Goalie of the Year....he get's drafted in round 1, 2 or 3.
- When 24 year old Sparks wins AHL Goalie of the Year....he has "almost zero trade value"?

I'd assume the top AHL goalie is worth more than the top OHL/WHL goalie (if they're under 27). So wouldn't Sparks be worth at least a 3rd?

No?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
like that could ever statistically happen! LOLOL

say, no to "statistics!" say no to "reality" or "science". go with the *winner.&^<$#

it was an aggressive point but I stand by it. I don't think numbers should matter for a backup goaltender. if you want to believe the rest of that stuff and just be rude, please do let me know, because i don't have time for people like that.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Let me get this straight:

- When an 18 year old win's OHL/WHL Goalie of the Year....he get's drafted in round 1, 2 or 3.
- When 24 year old Sparks wins AHL Goalie of the Year....he has "almost zero trade value"?

I'd assume the top AHL goalie is worth more than the top OHL/WHL goalie (if they're under 27). So wouldn't Sparks be worth at least a 3rd?

No?

goalies generally don't have that much trade value in the show (like established ones, sure a 1st rounder or something), so for sparks, unless someone really identified him as a NHL superstar you're not going to get much back.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Because using a team stat - wins - tells you absolutely nothing about how the goalie performed.....

You have a goalie who stops 2/30 shots and loses still played a much better game than the goalie who let in 4/30 and won. To say otherwise you’re just giving the goalie credit for the team’s forwards outscoring his lousy play.

It’s a terrible way to evaluate goaltending - for backups or starters. And the idea that we should evaluate backups differently than starters is also bunk. Yes they’re likely not going to be as good as a starter, but the fundamentals remain the same - how many pucks can they stop.

again, so? again, it's the backup. why does it matter? they are playing at most on a good team 20-25ish games on their own, more often than naught in crappy circumstances, and in stretches where they hadn't played for a month - they don't need to paint Picasso's out there, they need to play well enough to win. the end. and regardless if you consider it a team stat or not for a backup goaltender, his numbers should not matter as much as the starter. According to - to goalies and goalie coaches, backups and starters train differently, they have to prepare differently, and they work differently, simply due to that fact.

yet - we're supposed to compare them similarly? i don't see (truly) how someone who sees 25% of work and their conditions are never the same as one who sees 75% of work should be held to the same criteria.

i think for players like sparks or pickard or whomever they are gonna bring up as the future starter (because Freddy's contract ends in....3? I wanna say 3 years?) i would argue that they eventually will be playing more than 25% and working towards being the starter so how they actually look (and train etc) and their numbers) will matter, because it will have a larger impact over time.

but the career backup guy it's not so much important. or it shouldn't.

Respectfully disagree with you and Noodles, Daisy. I'm not arguing that wins are not more important, I believe that regardless of starter or backup, the chances of a goalie getting the W increase as the Save % improves.

that's fair. for me, I can admit i i'm very Jon Snow on this matter, which is why i defer to the people who currently do work in the field for goaltenders. they say it shouldn't matter so much for a backup, and i tend to agree with him when he says it shouldn't matter as much as if he's capable of a win. (and Noodles, is always self depreciating about his career, but he actually had really swell numbers until he didn't and he knew it was time to hang it up, so I do'teven think this is a "well i was crap thus why should it matter." thing.

i also feel this might come off (again) as if this means I want McBackup to stay here - i have zero horses in this race, (and i expect the organization to ensure the guy they spent a tonne of time developing (Sparks) to get some actual NHL time now for the next few years (or trade him for someone who can).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad