Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Re-Sign Kasimir Kaskisuo to two year, two way contract

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Dubas also likely realizes the chances of McBackup repeating that sv% are next to zero.

he doesn't need to.
the last two seasons all mcbackup did was get us key wins.
who gives a poo about his save percentage.
backups need W's not save%

Reactions: ACC1224

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This is just about the last RFA re-signing I would have predicted: spend the year on loan, replaced by another goalie acquired through trade, turns 25 in the Fall... I guess Dubas and Lou didn't see eye to eye on Kaskisuo.

There's some note on his capfriendly page that states he gets a minimum guaranteed salary of $150,000 in 18-19 and $200,000 in 19-20. I'm not sure how that works without stated signing bonuses. Promoted to the NHL for 1/13 th of the season?

Kasimir Kaskisuo - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This is just about the last RFA re-signing I would have predicted: spend the year on loan, replaced by another goalie acquired through trade, turns 25 in the Fall... I guess Dubas and Lou didn't see eye to eye on Kaskisuo.

Maybe. Fair point about the loan, but there isn't much risk in a two-way contract. The goalies above him are all on one-way contracts, but there's perhaps a good enough chance one of them doesn't sneak through waivers.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Does this mean that Kaskisuo is the goaltender we can expose in the next expansion draft? or would Sparks qualify for that?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
he doesn't need to.
the last two seasons all mcbackup did was get us key wins.
who gives a poo about his save percentage.
backups need W's not save%

Wins is a team stat not a goaltending one. Like If a goalie lets in easy 5 goals on 20 shots and the team still manages to win the game, it was in spite of their goaltending not because of it. McBackup doesn’t exactly have a career track record to make me trust him/give him the benefit of the doubt either.

The Leafs need to get into the habit of selling high on assets that have nowhere to go but down. And McBackup’s current situation is a perfect example of that - he’ll never be worth more on the trade market than he is st this very moment (which isn’t saying much mind you).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
That sv% may give McBackup some trade value, which should be explored before Sparks/Pickard go through waivers

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying McBackup should come back. but for the last two years people have been slagging him because his numbers aren't sexy. but he's a backup. who cares. the guy got wins when he got between the pipes, that's the only thing that matters.

when Sparks/Pickard play their first two years as actual backups? that's all i want too. since they are also auditioning for the starters job after Andy goes, maybe year two is more important (because that's Andy's 5th year) so you know what's what, but still. backup = W not S%

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Wins is a team stat not a goaltending one. Like If a goalie lets in easy 5 goals on 20 shots and the team still manages to win the game, it was in spite of their goaltending not because of it. McBackup doesn’t exactly have a career track record to make me trust him/give him the benefit of the doubt either.

The Leafs need to get into the habit of selling high on assets that have nowhere to go but down. And McBackup’s current situation is a perfect example of that - he’ll never be worth more on the trade market than he is st this very moment (which isn’t saying much mind you).

again. I did not say I'd keep mcbackup
I said who gives a crap what his save percentage is.
the goaltender is a part of the team. and when mcbackup played he won
that's the only thing that matters when you're a backup. did you play well enough to win.
yes. good.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying McBackup should come back. but for the last two years people have been slagging him because his numbers aren't sexy. but he's a backup. who cares. the guy got wins when he got between the pipes, that's the only thing that matters.

when Sparks/Pickard play their first two years as actual backups? that's all i want too. since they are also auditioning for the starters job after Andy goes, maybe year two is more important (because that's Andy's 5th year) so you know what's what, but still. backup = W not S%

I've been pretty complementary about McBackup Daisy but it doesn't blind me to what he is

A mid 30's career backup who had a great year

I think from a purely asset management pov exploring trade opportunities while his value is at an all time high and we've got backup options in house is the smart play

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
again. I did not say I'd keep mcbackup
I said who gives a crap what his save percentage is.
the goaltender is a part of the team. and when mcbackup played he won
that's the only thing that matters when you're a backup. did you play well enough to win.
yes. good.

And again, he didn’t win, the TEAM did. I can’t say I agree with this way of evaluating backups.

Reactions: stickty111

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Please. That was the plan to minimize his starts. Andersen was clearly over worked.
I agree he was over worked, but that was his is first 60 start season. That's big. Part of the endurance training. Developing him too. Not to minimize Mc's starts.
There is no proof that Babcock doesn't like Mcbackup

Reactions: Buds17

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I've been pretty complementary about McBackup Daisy but it doesn't blind me to what he is

A mid 30's career backup who had a great year

I think from a purely asset management pov exploring trade opportunities while his value is at an all time high and we've got backup options in house is the smart play

okay.
but kiwi, i never said i wanted him to come back though. i fully expect him to go.
(and no he had 2 great years here, for what its worth).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
And again, he didn’t win, the TEAM did. I can’t say I agree with this way of evaluating backups.

why? because everything has to be analytical and spreadsheet all the time?
if you are a starter, sure you want to make sure your numbers are stellar, i suppose.
but if you're on a 5 game road, and the 2nd of the back/back get the win. i'd rathe that then a sparkling save% and he can't buy a win to save his life.

team or not, at the end of the day, win. that's what counts.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

There's some note on his capfriendly page that states he gets a minimum guaranteed salary of $150,000 in 18-19 and $200,000 in 19-20. I'm not sure how that works without stated signing bonuses. Promoted to the NHL for 1/13 th of the season?

Kasimir Kaskisuo - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I actually kind of expected it, especially if we are moving out two goalies. I expected him to be part of the tandem, if not the number 3, next year. He was one of the better goalies in the AHL. Behind our defense, he could have even been in the top 5. I think he has as much upside as someone like Sparks does, just needs to a chance now.

The rest of the options out there are about as good as he is, and many of them may be retained by their current teams. I am surprised he got two years, but that's about it.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree he was over worked, but that was his is first 60 start season. That's big. Part of the endurance training. Developing him too. Not to minimize Mc's starts.

Babcock needs to be more realistic about how much he uses Andersen

He sees a ton of rubber in our system so if you can get away with Andersen only playing 50-55 games I don't know why we wouldn't try to keep him fresh for the playoffs

okay.
but kiwi, i never said i wanted him to come back though. i fully expect him to go.
(and no he had 2 great years here, for what its worth).

Considering we got him on waivers I'm more than happy with the guy

We've gotten 2 excellent seasons out of him and a possible asset at the end of his tenure here

Nice, now trade him Dubas

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Babcock needs to be more realistic about how much he uses Andersen

He sees a ton of rubber in our system so if you can get away with Andersen only playing 50-55 games I don't know why we wouldn't try to keep him fresh for the playoffs

Considering we got him on waivers I'm more than happy with the guy

We've gotten 2 excellent seasons out of him and a possible asset at the end of his tenure here

Nice, now trade him Dubas
I guess Freddie wants to be the man. A true #1 a Holtby or Lundqvist.
We need to remember has still developing too

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I guess Freddie wants to be the man. A true #1 a Holtby or Lundqvist.
We need to remember has still developing too

I don't care what he wants

I want what's best for the team and after his performance in the latter part of last season he needs less work

He's in his late 20's, he basically is what he is at this point

Reactions: JayDog17

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't care what he wants

I want what's best for the team and after his performance in the latter part of last season he needs less work

He's in his late 20's, he basically is what he is at this point
Well we both want the same thing but I do think Freddie has room to grow. Not a lot but things like endurance can get better.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Yeah, I think it's a fairly dumb evaluation method tbh. So what, if a .880 backup gets more wins than a .910 backup, we should prefer the .880? No, as the .880 got super lucky to have his team outplay him.

So as every NHL GM will value McBackup's save %, we should sell high on him before he reverts back to ~ .910

Reactions: Elephanto

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Tough to say if and how, Andersen was overworked to the point of it affecting his play. He's had the same number of games in both seasons here, but faced more shots this season. McElhinney had a few more starts in his second Leaf season, but he was here from the start this time, and Andersen missed a couple due to injury IIRC. Difficult to determine as well if the backup in back-to-back only situations - injury need aside - is going to remain a thing, or if it depends on the goalies.

All that said, I'd agree that Babcock trusts McElhinney. If he is supplanted for the backup role, I think it'll be more that the incoming goalie played his way in rather than McElhinney playing his way out.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well we both want the same thing but I do think Freddie has room to grow. Not a lot but things like endurance can get better.

Starters don't play the 65+ games during the regular season like they used to

If you've got a competent backup (which we quite clearly did) you shouldn't run your starter into the ground for minimal benefit

I see Hainsey in exactly the same light, your getting in the playoffs so why play him every night with about 5 minutes of PK time if you don't have to?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

If you've got a competent backup (which we quite clearly did) you shouldn't run your starter into the ground for minimal benefit

I see Hainsey in exactly the same light, your getting in the playoffs so why play him every night with about 5 minutes of PK time if you don't have to?

how many goalies played 60-65 plus?

i am truly wondering WHY exactly he played so much.
most hockey circles don't even put "starter" mantle on you if you can't hit 60.

Reactions: Kiwi

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I get your point but skaters and goalies are a bad comparison imo
Different wear and tear on their bodies

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Oh boy, wait until Romanuk tries to pronounce his name or comes up with some simile if/when he plays for the big club..."eyes blazing like a cheshire kat"...something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad