TSN: Maple Leafs interested in Matt Martin, the heavy hitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I'd rather save a spot for someone like Leivo or Hyman. The addition of Rychel also makes this sort of redundant.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
I mean if he came cheap like max 2x2 then sure. Hes not getting 3x4 from anyone. Martin Leo Sosh would be utterly impossible to play against!

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I like what Martin brings to the game but Komarov is worth 6 million if Martin makes 3. I don't blame him for wanting 4-5 years though. His body isn't going to be able to play like that for long. Still, as one of the better 4th liners in the league, you gotta at least kick the tires.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I mean if he came cheap like max 2x2 then sure. Hes not getting 3x4 from anyone. Martin Leo Sosh would be utterly impossible to play against!
He can probably get a 5-year deal from a, in-prime, playoff contender. I could see it approaching $3 million, say $2.7 x 5.

As for us, I don't see how that'll work. Even 2x2, he won't be a core piece and I don't really believe this rumour at all. Getting anything out of MLSE is extremely difficult and this is why TSN is claiming that we're nowhere close to winning the Stamkos sweepstake.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Fwiw i'd pay Leo 6x6 tomorrow lol (or when his deal is up) but he is a way more complete player than martin.

CBinTokyo

Jan 15, 2013
Tokyo
I have trusted the management to the point of accepting the Andersen trade as "they know something I don't about this guy", but if they were to add something like this on top of it (3 x 4) I'd start becoming skeptical.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
we got enough 4th liners greening laich michalek lupul hyman sosh rychel leivo...save every mill and make a run at stamkos first

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
There's a reason NYI is walking away.

These are the kinds of UFAs you shy away from. The dude will get you 20 points and hit some people -- there are plenty of AHL guys who do that for the league minimum. And we already have too many forwards.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
The $3M is manageable, it is high but it is workable.

The 4 years on the other hand is too long, the Leafs don't need him for that long. I'd consider $3M for 2 years, though I'd try for low $2M.

The whole reason they drafted Korshkov and Grundstrom was to add some physicality, plus these two aim to produce waaayyy more than Martin.

If you can sign Matt Martin as a temp place holder until the two draftees are ready, I'm all for it. Even if you have to overpay a little in $$$$$, I rather overpay in dollars than term.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I'd much rather sign, say, a Devo Smith Pelley.

He'll probably get less money, while still adding sandpaper and being a player that is able to play a 3rd line role or higher - producing offense.

Not to mention DSP is only 24 years old.

I'd love to have Matt Martin on the team, but not at the price he'll command as a UFA.

Seriously. Can't believe DSP's name has only been mentioned once in this thread.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There's a reason NYI is walking away.

These are the kinds of UFAs you shy away from. The dude will get you 20 points and hit some people -- there are plenty of AHL guys who do that for the league minimum. And we already have too many forwards.

If you can upgrade your forwards you don't have to many forwards.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
You overpay for in-demand UFAs. If the Leafs think they need the element that Martin brings, they will not get him as a bargain. I think they need it and I'd be willing to pay more for it. If he's given $3M for 4 years, the first 2-3 years he'll be playing next to kids on ELCs (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Soshnikov, Kapanen, etc.) After the first year, more expensive vets like Laich ($4.5M), Michalek ($4M) and Greening ($2.65M) will be off the books. If the team can find a place for Greening last season at $2.65M, they can find a way to fit in Martin at $3M.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Fits on the fourth line at 1.5-2 so it probably won't happen. Maybe he can top up his salary with endorsement deals.:sarcasm:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
There's no way Martin will accept a 1 or 2 year deal for less than $2M. So that means we won't be in the running for this guy. Hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad