TSN: Maple Leafs interested in Matt Martin, the heavy hitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Seems like I am in the few.

I would really like this move for the Leafs.

Good 4th liner that can play solid minutes while being a good and steady player, all while holding our opponents accountable should they decide they want to take runs at the likes of Matthews, Marner, Morgan and Nylander.

These kids should be allowed to play at a certain comfort level, and from Peewee to the NHL, its never fun being run over physically with nobody on your side to answer the call.

Tossing a contract in the 2.5 to 3m for 4-5 years for the very specific skill set he provides isnt going to ruin this team when we have some dead weight contracts coming off the books in the near future.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'd be cool with the Dan Winnik special: 2-3 years at $2-2.5M.

Any richer is too rich for me. I'd be okay with letting Greening play and seeing what Rychel and Hyman can do.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Useful 4th liner for sure.

Wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole for what he's gonna be signed for.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
A 4th liner for 3mil is an overpayment. 4th liner in the new NHL should be making 1.5mil max.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Leafs definitely need a guy like Matt Martin.

Imagine a line of Komarov and Martin together, no one will want to play against them.

That being said, Leafs shouldn't overpay for him, MAX i'd go is 2.5M

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

Good 4th liner that can play solid minutes while being a good and steady player, all while holding our opponents accountable should they decide they want to take runs at the likes of Matthews, Marner, Morgan and Nylander.

These kids should be allowed to play at a certain comfort level, and from Peewee to the NHL, its never fun being run over physically with nobody on your side to answer the call.

Tossing a contract in the 2.5 to 3m for 4-5 years for the very specific skill set he provides isnt going to ruin this team when we have some dead weight contracts coming off the books in the near future.

I'd much rather sign, say, a Devo Smith Pelley.

He'll probably get less money, while still adding sandpaper and being a player that is able to play a 3rd line role or higher - producing offense.

Not to mention DSP is only 24 years old.

I'd love to have Matt Martin on the team, but not at the price he'll command as a UFA.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON

Imagine a line of Komarov and Martin together, no one will want to play against them.

I like to imagine them on separate lines, with just a wave of hits coming at the opponent.

Again, I'd take Martin as long as we find someone to take Michalek, Greening, Holland and then figure out the Lupul situation.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON

Leo actually has puck skills. Martin hits a defenseman in the corner while the puck is already in transition into his teams' zone.

Why does the get so many hits? Because he never has the puck.

Edit: I admit he's good defensively, but absolutely horrible offensively.

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
4 years term is far too much and 3 million cap hit is also far too much. Let another team make that mistake.

I'd rather bring back Clune to yo-yo between the Marlies/Leafs and then another guy like Polak, Schenn, Brown, Prust on a 1-year deal to add toughness then give out anywhere close to a 4 year/3 per deal to Martin.

What happened with Prust, seemed fine when he was with the Habs

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
I like to imagine them on separate lines, with just a wave of hits coming at the opponent.

Again, I'd take Martin as long as we find someone to take Michalek, Greening, Holland and then figure out the Lupul situation.

Yea I'd put them on separate lines too, but just thinking of how hilarious those 2 on 1 line would be.

I'd put Komarov on the 4th line in a couple of years though after the prospects start coming through.

Leo actually has puck skills. Martin hits a defenseman in the corner while the puck is already in transition into his teams' zone.

Why does the get so many hits? Because he never has the puck.

Edit: I admit he's good defensively, but absolutely horrible offensively.

Yea he's pretty bad, but he doesn't have bad numbers for a 4th liner. Atleast he won't be a liability and can play a good 10 minutes

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If he wants four years at 3M per......forget it. We cannot afford any more bad contracts on this team, especially if we're going after Stamkos. We need to keep everyone else TIGHT to fit him in.

Probably a pipe dream anyway, getting Stamkos. But that's where I'd rather spend the money......not on Matt Martin.

HolyMakinaw is right.

You pay your core guys and the role players can come and go.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

I think the price is too much and I like Martin. But if we are talking 4th line, I'd rather give Rychel every opportunity. I know he's not exactly the same but let's see what he's got. For 3 mil I'd rather go after a McGinn, he has proven to score and be a 3rd/2nd liner.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When you're filling a specific role, you don't need to get the most expensive model.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

This is my view as well. I dont want andrew shaw deal style but I think this deal can be good for us.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Why give 5 years worth of term to a player who is easily replaceable?

"Good 4th liners" are available every offseason....

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think they're referring to a different Matt Martin. You know, the new Zamboni driver Matty.

It's obvious that this filth is click bait. We're not looking to re-acquire a Clarkson especially so early in the rebuild.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
I'm usually against giving money/term to grinders but Martin's a bit of an exception. This could be a moneyball move if we're going to be putting a guy who establishes possession on the forecheck with a skilled pair. Guys like Martin/Komarov would be useful to bring rookies in by giving them more opportunities in the offensive zone. Trade Bozak, give Martin some of that money, and run Kadri-Nylander-Matthews down the middle.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Please no. Give an ELC player his spot, and use the extra $2 million to sign Stamkos. Martin won't make a difference here.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
anyone find it weird that us having interest in Martin is being leaked. It's been quiet since Shanahan and Lou took over.

Apparently, the info came from the Martin camp. Most likely, just a list of teams that were willing to meet with Martin and/or his agents. May not mean any real interest on the Leafs part just that they agreed to talk to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad