Status
Not open for further replies.

Defense

Oct 27, 2009
Other teams will offer him a price too high for us to match

Dont need another Clarkson contract

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If you love a player, you don't lose them over 750K. That's a very manageable difference to take care of.

I'm saying in THIS ONE situation it doesn't make a world of difference. If you take that approach to every situation then sure. It would get out of hand.

If you love all your players I hope we get an extra 17.25 million in cap space to work with.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Would love to have him, but not as a UFA signing aka an overpayment. Martin is a really nice 4th liner who does one thing really well. And we could certainly use that sandpaper but not at the expense of paying him $3 million a season. Let him be someone else's mistake. You can trade for these types, you don't need to sign em.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
If this guy gets signed it means the leaf stats guys have no pull whatsoever

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
I'm a fan of Matt Martin even if it is known his hit stats are overstated because he plays in NYI and the person in their stadium tallies hits for running into the boards. Honestly if he wants a Hunwick contract 1.2 for two years I would be fine, but anything over and its a hard pass

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
That's only a 750,000 K difference though. There's probably not much difference from giving one player 2.25 and giving him 3. The difference is the value of some 4th line scrub.

Giving Matt Martin 3 million dollars shouldn't cripple or even hinder a team's cap situation. The length is what you should be worried about since these guys tend to lose effectiveness pretty early since their body breaks down.

In a cap world with finite amount of $ to spend you can't afford to fall in love with a player at any cost.

You can love a player at one price and hate him at another.

This is the type of thinking that caused this franchise to buy out more players than any other over the last 5 years.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Rich Clune can do alot of the same things for insanely less money.

Big pass.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
no thanks.

the people saying 1-2M with 1-2yr may as well not post

he will get 2.5-3 with some term somewhere else hopefully

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I would be good with 2.5M over 3 years.

I didn't like seeing the Leafs get pushed around by Buffalo this season. They definitely need a functional mutant to take care of business when things get hairy. There's not a lot of 4th line tough guys that can pot 10 goals. I think he would be well worth it and a fan favourite.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I would offer him a 3 year, $ 6 million dollar deal ($2 per), and that would be the highest (in term and dollars) I'd be willing to go.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Size and toughness is a major hole on this team, especially considering we have Nylander and Marner as core pieces moving forward.

We won't ever invest in an enforcer but we do need someone to protect and shelter them.

Not sure if Martin can do that, though.

I know we're not interested, most likely, but Lucic would be epic for that reason.

GalacticaActual

Mar 23, 2010
Mississauga, Ontario
JVR-Stamkos-Marner
Nylander-Matthews-Soshnikov
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Greening-Bozak-Martin
Backups: Hyman, Laich

Rielly-Demers
Gardiner Zaitsev
Marincin-Carrick
Backups: Corrado, Hunwick

Anderson
Bernier

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
If he wants four years at 3M per......forget it. We cannot afford any more bad contracts on this team, especially if we're going after Stamkos. We need to keep everyone else TIGHT to fit him in.

Probably a pipe dream anyway, getting Stamkos. But that's where I'd rather spend the money......not on Matt Martin.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
4 years term is far too much and 3 million cap hit is also far too much. Let another team make that mistake.

I'd rather bring back Clune to yo-yo between the Marlies/Leafs and then another guy like Polak, Schenn, Brown, Prust on a 1-year deal to add toughness then give out anywhere close to a 4 year/3 per deal to Martin.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If we could not screw up our cap by spending 3 million dollars on 4th liners that would be great.

In a cap world you need your core guys and cheap filler. You don't spend more than say 1.5 million on 4th liners.

You sign depth guys to bad contracts and then people will wonder why we can't afford to keep our high end guys when the time comes.

Chicago has done well in this regard but they could have done better too. They've lost lots of talent, some from just having so much they can't keep all of it, but some from mistakes like this. Mistakes I'd rather not replicate.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The only way this makes sense is on a 1-2 year dea on a lower caphit.

There is absolutely ZERO need to lock in 2/3rd tier guys for term and a high caphit.

Getting into a bidding war over a player like him would be a disaster.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Everyone, repeat after me:

Don't give money and term to 4th liners.

THIRTEEN

Jun 28, 2016
Kerby has some sandpaper and can score. But first, he has to make the team, which won't be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad