The Star: Maple Leafs Exec Losing Sleep Over This Past Season

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Whose Mike Myers?

The guy from those Halloween movies?

9/10 people in the newer generation know who Drake is...I doubt more than 2/10 know who Mike Myers is.

I only know who Drake is because I watched Degrassi: the Next Generation. :nod:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Yes, but that is just 1 demographic.

How many teenage girls can afford $200+ tickets per person to a Leaf game?

LMFAO!! I know I sound incredibly sexist right now, but that's not my intention! lol. I am just asking a question.

:laugh: no not sexist. :)

the thing is. a teenage girl is not a teenage girl for like ever. A teenage girl grows up and can then afford to buy tickets. they can also buy merchandise etc. (support the team). if they go away for school (in Canada/USA) they can go to the visiting arena and wear their jersey.

(and - they may not be able to buy 200+ tickets per person for a Leafs game, but the can afford 50.00 per ticket to see the Marlies play.)

This is true but the same could be said for teenage boys. As an adult female, I have purchased tickets to see Leaf games because I can afford it. I've travelled to see Leaf games and had tickets purchased as gifts for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure Bieber (who I feel neutral about) is the "brand" the Leafs would want, but a fan is a fan is a fan. As a female, I don't feel my purchasing power is any less and trust me, I'm as diehard as any male.

(sorry to interject)

(I don't get Bieber either. LOL). but exactly.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Whose Mike Myers?

The guy from those Halloween movies?

9/10 people in the newer generation know who Drake is...I doubt more than 2/10 know who Mike Myers is.

I would say a large number of people would know Austin Powers.

Although, Micheal Myers from Halloween would sum up the Leafs better :naughty:

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
a global embassadar, brand representative needs to be relevant
Mike Myers is not relevant

nice guy, funny, would do nothing for the brand

maybe justin bieber? as cringe worthy as that sounds

jiFfM.jpg

No thank you, that would only turn more fans away.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Drake isn't just a guy whose there to get the fans interested, if there ever came a time to try and recruit a big name UFA, like a Lebron James etc. Drake would probably take part in trying to promote the city and help the organization try and attract players like that. if I'm not mistaken I think Drake did help TFC attract Bradley/Defoe to come to Toronto last year.

Bluejaysfan*

Drake isn't just a guy whose there to get the fans interested, if there ever came a time to try and recruit a big name UFA, like a Lebron James etc. Drake would probably take part in trying to promote the city and help the organization try and attract players like that. if I'm not mistaken I think Drake did help TFC attract Bradley/Defoe to come to Toronto last year.

This, one of the main reasons Drake is the Raps guy is because he's cool with pretty much all the superstars of the NBA (Lebron, Kevin Durant, etc). If any of those guys ever reached free agency, Drake would be a huge recruitment tool. I think that's one of the reasons Defoe came here if I remember correctly. Drake does a great job promoting Toronto through his music too.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

This is ridiculous. The Leafs are almost 100 years old! Do the Habs have/need an ambassador? Do the Yankees? Do the Red Sox? Does Manchester United? IF they do, it's guys that were actual players that played for those teams at one point. Leafs don't need some music/movie star to be their ambassador.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Mike Myers and Will Arnet aren't the "brand ambassador" types.

You need someone popular, and newsworthy.

No offense to either of those actors, but they likely aren't the names MLSE will want to promote their crown jewel.

Bluejaysfan*

This is ridiculous. The Leafs are almost 100 years old! Do the Habs have/need an ambassador? Do the Yankees? Do the Red Sox? Does Manchester United? IF they do, it's guys that were actual players that played for those teams at one point. Leafs don't need some music/movie star to be their ambassador.

Lebron James is involved with Liverpool (soccer team) I believe. And I think Kobe Bryant is affiliated with FC Barcelona...so it's not unheard of.

The Sox had a worse drought than the Leafs before their championship in 2004.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, there have been some talk that the Leafs may go back to the old logo (like the 3rd jerseys).

Wonder if that's part of the rebrand they want to do. After how many years of lackluster, and complete new look would freshen up the brand. Switching back to the old logo would do a lot of good, and it's been something fans have been wanting as well.

I don't know too many people that prefer the current leaf to those of the past, and that's likely associated with the suckage Leafs Nation has endured

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Also, there have been some talk that the Leafs may go back to the old logo (like the 3rd jerseys).

Wonder if that's part of the rebrand they want to do. After how many years of lackluster, and complete new look would freshen up the brand. Switching back to the old logo would do a lot of good, and it's been something fans have been wanting as well.

I don't know too many people that prefer the current leaf to those of the past, and that's likely associated with the suckage Leafs Nation has endured

if we do - i want them to be like before - O6 teams + playoffs only. those puppies were special.

i actually wouldn't mind something akin to the winter classic jerseys or smething like that either

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
They are losing fans and with younger people to become prospective fans, it wouldn't hurt to draw them into the fold with personallities that are noted performers and already have a conection with the Leafs.

mike_meyers_leafs_nov1-03.jpg

I disagree with this tbh. I see a lot of kids from the town I grew up in ages 6-13sh are wearing Leaf hats, shirts, sweaters, etc. Also McDavid, Marner and Strome who will be top 5 picks in this upcoming draft were all Leaf fans growing up.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Drake is used to promote the city and the team. He's tight with all the superstar NBA players and is responsible for promoting the team/city to them if they reach free agency.

For the dreamers and Raps fans out there, Durant is a free agent next summer. Drake has already been fined for trying to convince him to sign with Toronto at one of his concerts where Durant was sitting in the VIP front row section. They are close apparently.

I would not mind the Leafs getting somebody like this, but it is not the same in the NHL. I highly doubt we would ever see an ambassador like Drake in hockey. Guys like Shanahan, Yzerman, etc who become executives do that job.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I think the Leafs should just go with one of the greats to play for us.

Possibly Sundin. Or maybe they go with a few people. Gilmour and Clark already have positions on the Leafs I think, but we should just promote them, I guess.

Sundin, Gilmour, Clark would be a nice group of former players to represent the Leafs.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think the Leafs should just go with one of the greats to play for us.

Possibly Sundin. Or maybe they go with a few people. Gilmour and Clark already have positions on the Leafs I think, but we should just promote them, I guess.

Sundin, Gilmour, Clark would be a nice group of former players to represent the Leafs.
It's already known that Wendel Clark works for them as a community ambassador and public relations.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

At this point, anything is worth a try short of renaming the team.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I don't necessarily think Mike Myers would be the best choice, but I do think it's a good idea to get a popular celebrity involved as a brand ambassador for the Leafs.

Yes, we'd all think it was great for Wendel Clarke, Mats Sundin, or whoever to step into that kind of role. The issue is that a lot of younger fans, whom this entire idea is built to target have likely never seen any of these guys play. Montreal has the benefit of decades of success, and French provincial heroes to play to the crowd. We're not so fortunate.

I hope they keep guys like Clark on board, and use them to help promote our legacy, but it's not a bad idea to try and get someone who younger people are more familiar with to draw their interest.

We're going to end up with a "lost generation" of fans due to how awful we've been and how easy it is to consume out of market hockey now.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I just learned that Keanu Reeves grew up in Toronto and is a Leafs fan. and Russel Crowe is also a Leafs fan.

can either of them be the brand ambassador? :naughty:

my vote goes for keanu :laugh:

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
The biebs while a ****** has 63 M followers on Twitter
Maple Leafs 864k
Mike Myers 456 (that's just 456 , no K on the end of that)

This is an entertainment business as much as it is free sport.

I would be embarrassed as a fan if my team used that entitled sack of garbage to be my representative.

Bluejaysfan*

The only person I can think of is Gretzky. Hockey players don't really hang out with music icons the same way NBA players do, so somebody like Drake wouldn't really work. Hockey players pretty much worship Gretzky and everyone knows him so maybe that could work.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
what about we get a real freaking team!!! I real coach and gm that other players around the league actually wouldnt mind playing for them!!! theres your idea of recruitment!!!!

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I just learned that Keanu Reeves grew up in Toronto and is a Leafs fan. and Russel Crowe is also a Leafs fan.

can either of them be the brand ambassador? :naughty:

my vote goes for keanu :laugh:

No offence to Myers and Arnett, but the guys you mentioned are way more popular and more importantly, relevant, than them and thus would be better suited as brand ambassadors.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
They should get Anne Murray.:laugh: Although I don't see her jumping on until they play with some heart and start winning again.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
what about we get a real freaking team!!! I real coach and gm that other players around the league actually wouldnt mind playing for them!!! theres your idea of recruitment!!!!

I mean yes, but that's not the point of a brand ambassador.

Raptors have a good team, with one of the best management staffs, possibly in the league. (Though, thoughts on the coaching staff are mixed)

Drake knows a lot of guys in the NBA, and has a massive fan base. He can recruit FA's to the team and had brought fans to the team

Leafs are getting the hockey ops in place, and will begin a rebuild of the team.

During that time, brining in a brand ambassador will be a good thing.

"lol just fix the team" has nothing to do with a brand ambassador

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad