The Star: Maple Leafs Exec Losing Sleep Over This Past Season

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i think he means he's not a fan of the idea of having a brand ambassador. not questioning if will arnett is a fan or not.

well that wasn't clear. so I apologise.

I don't necessarily think it's "gimmicky" if you're using a well known fan (ie; Myers, Arnet etc). to just continue to do what they do. but they are up here pumping up the crowd, etc. they're already part of Leafs Nation so they'll be on television specifically for that. vs. Jimmy Fallon calling up Arnet and it just comes up. I guess.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
A personallity to promote the Leafs....Mike Myers

myers_mike_waves_to_air_canada_centre_crowd_255x340.jpg

i think he means he's not a fan of the idea of having a brand ambassador. not questioning if will arnett is a fan or not.

I don't see the need so to me adding one is nothing but "gimmicky", no different than putting Cheerleaders in the stands.

I get why Teams in smaller Markets or the Raptors do it, Leafs should be above that.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
a global embassadar, brand representative needs to be relevant
Mike Myers is not relevant

nice guy, funny, would do nothing for the brand

maybe justin bieber? as cringe worthy as that sounds

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
a global embassadar, brand representative needs to be relevant
Mike Myers is not relevant

nice guy, funny, would do nothing for the brand

maybe justin bieber? as cringe worthy as that sounds

Is the Raptor guy relevant?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I don't see the need so to me adding one is nothing but "gimmicky", no different than putting Cheerleaders in the stands.

I get why Teams in smaller Markets or the Raptors do it, Leafs should be above that.

They are losing fans and with younger people to become prospective fans, it wouldn't hurt to draw them into the fold with personallities that are noted performers and already have a conection with the Leafs.

mike_meyers_leafs_nov1-03.jpg

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They are losing fans and with younger people to become prospective fans, it wouldn't hurt to draw them into the fold with personallities that are noted performers and already have a conection with the Leafs.

mike_meyers_leafs_nov1-03.jpg

as your picture shows, they do that already.

Maybe I'm mistaken but wouldn't this Ambassador be at the games?

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Great news, fans no longer tolerating garbage.

I know it's not going to happen, but can you imagine if September rolls around and the core of this team is still here?

I can honestly see empty seats for every home game next season.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I know it's not going to happen, but can you imagine if September rolls around and the core of this team is still here?

I can honestly see empty seats for every home game next season.

which is why we have to hope we get some hockey trades happening. i think for the most part we can acknowledge it's hard to move 25 million in one summer and we don't want to hurt ourselves on bad trades etc.. but if all 4 players are back. hoo boy.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
as your picture shows, they do that already.

Maybe I'm mistaken but wouldn't this Ambassador be at the games?

I'm not sure but would it be necessary to be at all the games, I'm sure Mike Myers would attend a lot of the games while in town but as would any personallity that is involved in any career, he has other things to attend to, including Justin Bieber or anyone that has a job to do in any field.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
which is why we have to hope we get some hockey trades happening. i think for the most part we can acknowledge it's hard to move 25 million in one summer and we don't want to hurt ourselves on bad trades etc.. but if all 4 players are back. hoo boy.

I am assuming your "all 4 players" are Kessel, Dion, Bozak and Lupul? :P

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
No worries. I tend to not click links.

What's a "brand ambassador"?

It is what Drake is to the Raptors.
A celebrity figure who goes out and promotes the team.

Although I'm not sure if the Leafs need one. Their problem is not that they don't have an image; it's that they have a poor one.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
You can't possibly be serious?

The only fans Justin Bieber would bring in are teenage girls.

.... so? the female demographic is what the NHL is desperately trying to get (as is the NBA/NFL/MLB)

i was a teenage girl when i got into hockey back in the 2000s.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
.... so? the female demographic is what the NHL is desperately trying to get (as is the NBA/NFL/MLB)

i was a teenage girl when i got into hockey back in the 2000s.

Yes, but that is just 1 demographic.

How many teenage girls can afford $200+ tickets per person to a Leaf game?

LMFAO!! I know I sound incredibly sexist right now, but that's not my intention! lol. I am just asking a question.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
What celeb would be stupid enough to take on this outfit? It would be career suicide.

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
Yes, but that is just 1 demographic.

How many teenage girls can afford $200+ tickets per person to a Leaf game?

LMFAO!! I know I sound incredibly sexist right now, but that's not my intention! lol. I am just asking a question.

This is true but the same could be said for teenage boys. As an adult female, I have purchased tickets to see Leaf games because I can afford it. I've travelled to see Leaf games and had tickets purchased as gifts for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure Bieber (who I feel neutral about) is the "brand" the Leafs would want, but a fan is a fan is a fan. As a female, I don't feel my purchasing power is any less and trust me, I'm as diehard as any male.

(sorry to interject)

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
The biebs while a ****** has 63 M followers on Twitter
Maple Leafs 864k
Mike Myers 456 (that's just 456 , no K on the end of that)

This is an entertainment business as much as it is free sport.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If the Leafs did want Will Arnett as their Global Ambassador he has already done these videos involving them, which are both from the official Toronto Maple Leafs YouTube account.

Bluejaysfan*

I guess in that Sports Demographic. I know who Mile Myers is, I wouldn't know Drake if I fell over him.

so is Mike Myers

Whose Mike Myers?

The guy from those Halloween movies?

9/10 people in the newer generation know who Drake is...I doubt more than 2/10 know who Mike Myers is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad