Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs @ Blue Jackets, October 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Mikheyev is quickly rising as one of my favorite Leafs. I think he would be amazing on a line with Tavares and Marner.

Marner and Tavares passing to a guy who can shoot is a dream come true.

Give Hyman back to Matthews and Nylander and then have a crazy fast and skilled third line with Kerfoot Johnsson and Kapanen.
It’s his hands and his thinking/positioning that would make me Put him there over hyman. His shots a bonus.great scouting job so far on him

Reactions: ToMaLe

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not one to look at the number of shots against, and say they played well defensively or not. Shot quality, legit chances....

I don't think there were a ton pf those either, there were a few early but not a ton.

I'd be more concerned with Freddie he wasn't bad but he wasn't good.

That 1st goal was on Marner and hi, Marner wasn't good. But Freddie's lehgs were WIDE open.

The Hainsey goal was called back but it can't go in especially not from Ron Hainsey.

And Ryan scored off a giveaway. By Freddie.

I'm not concerned about Freddie he will get it going but I would suggest to you he didn't have best against Ottawa

Reactions: qqaz

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I too believe that Micheyev will eventually be on Tavares wing with Marner. If his play continues as it has through pre-season and 1st game of the season, there is no reason to not assemble that line once Hyman comes back. I have stated this in the pre-season, I would like to see the following 4 lines once everyone is healthy:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Micheyev-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kerfoot-Kapanen
Spezza-Gauthier-Moore

That is a balanced lineup.

Reactions: Nylander88

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Timashov had the team's 2nd worse possession numbers against Ottawa, FYI. Yeah, he is going full Soshnikov to prove his worth. But where is Soshnikov today?

I will be interested in seeing what the possession numbers are tonight for Petan and Spezza.

Goat's always going to have bad possession numbers. If Timashov was second last I'm going to guess Shore was last.

Pretty hard for Timashov to have good possession stats with Goat and Shore no? Petan is guaranteed to beat Timashov in possession playing with Spezza.

Whoever does end up with the 4th line spot will deserve it in the end since Babcock is letting them go head to head but as of now I think Timashov's game is better suited to what we need from the 4th line.

Petan is an offensive first player who hasn't been able to put it all together. For him to be more valuable than Timo he needs to produce like Ennis did.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I am ok with the changes. I mean he has to give Petan an opportunity to prove himself.
He did have few good games during pre-season

If anything, Kapanen needs to be sent a message. He was horrible last game. I know it's only one game but if you are going to be on the 2nd line, you better do a bit more

When Hyman gets back ,that 4th line is going to look really good. Except Mike will put him on 2nd and move Kapanen or Moore to 4th

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I am ok with the changes. I mean he has to give Petan an opportunity to prove himself.
He did have few good games during pre-season

If anything, Kapanen needs to be sent a message. He was horrible last game. I know it's only one game but if you are going to be on the 2nd line, you better do a bit more

When Hyman gets back ,that 4th line is going to look really good. Except Mike will put him on 2nd and move Kapanen or Moore to 4th
Kappy has been pretty bad all pre-season too, not just bad last game. He and Moore should switch roles as he's much better on the RW, not to mention Moore has been fantastic and I'd really like to see him on the LW with JT and Money

Reactions: kb

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
100%, I don't know why people overthink this. You always play the backup on the second night of a back to back unless it's some crazy 4 point scenario for the last playoff spot against that team or something.

Why though? I'm legit curious.

It makes sense to me that you would start your starter against the weaker opponent to give yourself a better chance to win both games ... or you would play the starter on the second night, when the team would theoretically be tired and would more likely to need their goalie to bail them out.

I'm not trying to argue or play devils advocate, but it just seems like an old-school 'traditional' way to do things, rather than an evolution of statistical evidence using the wealth of analytics now available.

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON

It makes sense to me that you would start your starter against the weaker opponent to give yourself a better chance to win both games ... or you would play the starter on the second night, when the team would theoretically be tired and would more likely to need their goalie to bail them out.

I'm not trying to argue or play devils advocate, but it just seems like an old-school 'traditional' way to do things, rather than an evolution of statistical evidence using the wealth of analytics now available.
In the NHL, you take the points that are in front of you. That means tonight, they play Freddy.
Hedging your bets and picking spots with your goaltenders is not a great strategy in a league that is extremely tight.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Goat's always going to have bad possession numbers. If Timashov was second last I'm going to guess Shore was last.

Pretty hard for Timashov to have good possession stats with Goat and Shore no? Petan is guaranteed to beat Timashov in possession playing with Spezza.

Whoever does end up with the 4th line spot will deserve it in the end since Babcock is letting them go head to head but as of now I think Timashov's game is better suited to what we need from the 4th line.

Petan is an offensive first player who hasn't been able to put it all together. For him to be more valuable than Timo he needs to produce like Ennis did.

If not for any reason than Petan and Spezza will likely be fed offensive zone starts.

Timashov/Gauthier did not start in the offensive zone for any of their shifts. Literally zero. Yet they still scored our first goal and generated 7+ scoring chances in 8:30 of ice time (all ES). It's just they also gave up around 10 scoring chances against for their low-mid 40's Corsi rating... But when you are always starting in your own zone, do you seriously expect to get a high Corsi?

Reactions: Havoc

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Columbus's Lineup for tonight

Texier - Dubois - Atinson
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Nyquist - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Lilja - Nash - Bemstrom

Murray - Jones
Werenski - Savard
Harrington - Nuutivaara

Korpisalo
Merzilkins

Scratches: Kukan, Gavrikov, Lilja,
Injuries: Dubinsky
-------
Our Lineup
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Kapanen - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Moore
Petan - Gauthier - Spezza

Reilly - Ceci
Muzzin - Barrie
Sandin - Holl

Andersen
Hutchinson

Scratches: Marincin, Shore, Timashov
Injuries: Dermott, Hyman

Lets win this one boys. Keep it rolling.

Reactions: qqaz

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

Barkov just had a 96 point season and the best pace auston has ever had is 88 over 82 games.

I can see auston ending up better offensively than barkov but I doubt he'll ever be as good defensively.

It would be cool to see a leaf win the selke though.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Don’t understand these comments. Petan was much better in the pre season than Timashov. And I like Timo and am pulling for him.

But I honestly find it fascinating how we can all watch the same players play in the same game and yet have such different opinions. To me there is no comparison between Petan Spezza Goat versus last nights line. Guess my opinion will be tested soon enough.

You comment got me thinking about what it takes for an undersized winger to make the jump to the NHL. Some are just skilled enough to do and learn the 200 foot side of the game as they go. Clearly, Petan didn't do that in Winnipeg!

I'm a big fan of his going back to his world jr days and whl accolades. I've thought Petan has looked engaged at both ends of the ice.

Unfortunately, he's been loosing a lot of those battles and is often on the ice vs. having possession. His last game (the underdogs vs: the Sabres) was his best IMO.

So IF Petan wants to make the NHL , he doesn't have to look very far to see the path:

PlayerAgeHeightWeightDraft
Trevor Moore245-10"185-
Nick Petan245-9"1792nd in 2013, Wpg
Timoshov235-10"1925th in 2015, Tor
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He can look across the dressing room at Moore.

Win more puck battles, work at both ends of the ice, finish!!! when you get your chances.

I think he can and he's got secure (1 way) contract so he has 2 years to prove it.

Who doesn't love competition for that ice time on the 4th line? Timoshow has improved, Agostino is close and Korshkov will only get better!

Just play like Moore, all 5-10" and 185 lbs of him!

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Columbus's Lineup for tonight

Texier - Dubois - Atinson
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Nyquist - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Lilja - Nash - Bemstrom

Murray - Jones
Werenski - Savard
Harrington - Nuutivaara

Korpisalo
Merzilkins

Scratches: Kukan, Gavrikov, Lilja,
Injuries: Dubinsky
Waittt a minute... Two Lilja's?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I believe it's actually decided via statistics, you have a the best chance of getting the most points statistically by starting your starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce