Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs @ Blue Jackets, October 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If someone comes out and works hard and wins a starting job, they might get themselves out of a rotation.

That is what I think this early rotation is all about of players earning their starting spots. IMO

Very likely yes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Very likely yes.

Competition is always a good motivator, and if these guys have a guy behind/competing for the same roster spot each night its lights a fire under players to really show up and compete.

Spezza is a perfect example of a player that needs a kick in the butt to get 100% effort out of him, so now an angry Spezza for getting benched last game is likely to have him come out tonight with spur in his saddle to really compete hard to show management they made a mistake.

However feeding off that objective by management was likely their hidden agenda to get exactly "take that" extra motivation out of him.

Without competition you have potential complacency when your job is secure regardless of effort level.

Good coaching is about motivating players and this strategy does exactly that.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Well that would be a big change for him. There have been a few guys who should have been sitting in place of better players, but they were gud pros so they stayed in

Don't forget that Matthews should have played more in Game 7 against Boston last year.

:deadhorse

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Ilya Mikeyev seems to have more talent and poise than we were initially led to believe. I think we are sleeping on this guy.

After watching some older footage in the KHL, it's pretty clear this guy has another level he can go to.

I think his ceiling is way higher than a 40-50 pt scorer. Dare I say PPG player if given time with top 6 forwards?

I think hes gonna be very important this year for the team, x-factor type.

I anticipate that he will get a nice contract by the Leafs at years end. Reminds me of the sort of domineering scorer type, stylistically somewhat similar to 34.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Ilya Mikeyev seems to have more talent and poise than we were initially led to believe. I think we are sleeping on this guy.

After watching some older footage in the KHL, it's pretty clear this guy has another level he can go to.

I think his ceiling is way higher than a 40-50 pt scorer. Dare I say PPG player if given time with top 6 forwards?

I think hes gonna be very important this year for the team, x-factor type.

I anticipate that he will get a nice contract by the Leafs at years end. Reminds me of the sort of domineering scorer type, stylistically somewhat similar to 34.

Sleeping on him? Perhaps you have not seen the threads dedicated to him?

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Sleeping on him? Perhaps you have not seen the threads dedicated to him?

It is an interesting topic to discuss. Having another potential young building block on an already talented team.

I keep hearing that Leafs are too top heavy... I would habe to disagree - they have a pretty decent bottom 6 - with Mikheyev moore kerfoot kappanen et al.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Mikheyev is quickly rising as one of my favorite Leafs. I think he would be amazing on a line with Tavares and Marner.

Marner and Tavares passing to a guy who can shoot is a dream come true.

Give Hyman back to Matthews and Nylander and then have a crazy fast and skilled third line with Kerfoot Johnsson and Kapanen.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Don’t understand these comments. Petan was much better in the pre season than Timashov. And I like Timo and am pulling for him.

But I honestly find it fascinating how we can all watch the same players play in the same game and yet have such different opinions. To me there is no comparison between Petan Spezza Goat versus last nights line. Guess my opinion will be tested soon enough.

Petan showed offensive flair in the pre-season, which we all knew he is capable of. I just think Timashov is better suited to a 4th line role because he is a grittier player for his size, and he also has offensive upside.

Definitely looking forward to Spezza though.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Timashov had the team's 2nd worse possession numbers against Ottawa, FYI. Yeah, he is going full Soshnikov to prove his worth. But where is Soshnikov today?

I will be interested in seeing what the possession numbers are tonight for Petan and Spezza.

Possession numbers don't tell the whole story. Petan likes to carry the puck, so his numbers will always be better than Timashov. However, when it comes to grit and defensive tenacity, Timashov is more effective, and that's more important on a 4th line.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Mikheyev is quickly rising as one of my favorite Leafs. I think he would be amazing on a line with Tavares and Marner.

Give Hyman back to Matthews and Nylander and then have a crazy fast and skilled third line with Kerfoot Johnsson and Kapanen.
This. Kapanen doesn't fit well on that line.

Reactions: kb and supermann_98

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

That's my hope.

Kap and Johnsson would look good doing their thing with Kerfoot.

Both seem to be having a hard time finding a place....
I'd venture to try Moore up with Matthews line , to give kap/johnss a few reps with Kerfoot before Hyman is back

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Our top 9 seems to be set in stone until Hyman comes back, and why not ... we are stacked.

The 4th line I believe will be what's going to be on the ice tonight. Petan, Spezz, Goat ... I like that mix better.

When Hyman comes back, Moore will take one of those spots on the 4th. He's a real player.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
You don't make goalie decisions based on the day of the week, TV programs and opponents. You make the best decision in an attempt to guarantee points in a back to back. If Hutch didn't show up tonight and the Leafs lost, there is a chance they show up tired tomorrow and lose even with Freddy. Play your best tonight, win the game then worry about tomorrow when it comes.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Hopefully we can clean up the PP and faceoff %

The PP wasn't good aggainat Ottawa, they got away with it because it's Ottawa but it wasn't ggood.

They weren't good in the faceoff dot either

Hopefully the depth can continue to produce they it did in game 1.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Hopefully we can clean up the PP and faceoff %

The PP wasn't good aggainat Ottawa, they got away with it because it's Ottawa but it wasn't ggood.

They weren't good in the faceoff dot either

Hopefully the depth can continue to produce they it did in game 1.

I thought PP1 was decent, at least in puck control, even if they didn't completely click. PP2 was a mess though, they didn't even control the puck well.

We need to step it up defensively in this game too.

Reactions: ACC1224

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Goalies are unproven. Otherwise, tons of depth with some high end players, but lacking that game-breaking talent on offense.

They'll be a good test. We play like we did yesterday, we lose tomorrow. We stop making ridiculous mistakes and the goalie makes the necessary saves, then we win.

Offensive talent is there with the kids. Or perhaps, I should say that it has been with the kids in the leagues they played in last season.

Texier - Alexandre Texier - Wikipedia

Bemstrom - Emil Bemström - Wikipedia

Lilja - Jakob Lilja - Wikipedia

Teammates again: Swedes Bemstrom, Lilja stick with Blue Jackets

We'll have to see how it translates.

Milano is more of a known quantity and has shown flashes of good offense coupled with stupid, stupid decisions. Not sure about the hockey sense on this one.

Same with the goalies - unproven starters in the NHL. Torts has been saying that the "safe is death" playing policy has been rescinded and he expects the team to be more defensively aware in order to protect the young goalies better - more like the Tampa series style of play than the regular season last year.

Who knows how this will go...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I thought PP1 was decent, at least in puck control, even if they didn't completely click. PP2 was a mess though, they didn't even control the puck well.

We need to step it up defensively in this game too.

The only gave up 26 shots the defensee was fine

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
I'd be ok if Babcock plays Freddy tonight and tomorrow against the Habs. It's the start of the season so no worries about that and let the goalie get into a grove

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Possession numbers don't tell the whole story. Petan likes to carry the puck, so his numbers will always be better than Timashov. However, when it comes to grit and defensive tenacity, Timashov is more effective, and that's more important on a 4th line.

The more often a Leaf has the puck, the happier I am.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
You don't make goalie decisions based on the day of the week, TV programs and opponents. You make the best decision in an attempt to guarantee points in a back to back. If Hutch didn't show up tonight and the Leafs lost, there is a chance they show up tired tomorrow and lose even with Freddy. Play your best tonight, win the game then worry about tomorrow when it comes.

100%, I don't know why people overthink this. You always play the backup on the second night of a back to back unless it's some crazy 4 point scenario for the last playoff spot against that team or something.

Reactions: Schooner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->