News Article: Maple Leafs are on Rick Nash's 12 Team Trade List

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Thank goodness Burke or JFJ is no longer running the show. If they were, they'd probably trade Marner, Gardiner, two first round picks, a second round pick, Leivo and JVR for Rick Nash.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1. we shouldn't be trading for expensive rentals
2. we don't need wingers
3.nash isn't very good anymore

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I would want Nash if it got Hyman off of Matthew's wing.

Nylander - Matthews - Nash
Marleau - Kadri - Marner

Now that's a top 6.

Reactions: highslot

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last 2yrs 82gm Scoring Pace

Matthews 43gls, 73pts
Nylander 21gls, 63pts
Marner 19gls, 63pts

Kadri 30gls, 57pts
JVR 31gls, 57pts
Bozak 16gls, 50pts

Marleau 26gls, 44pts
Nash: 27gls, 43pts
Brown 19gls, 33pts
Hyman 12gls, 33pts

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
don't think there's any chance we're buying here, but one thing that this might highlight: we always talked about Toronto boys wanting to come home to play and that never seemed to materialize when they had the chance, but now that we're winning those doors are opening. To me it seems like guys either want to play for money or for a winner, so that's a good omen for us

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
don't think there's any chance we're buying here, but one thing that this might highlight: we always talked about Toronto boys wanting to come home to play and that never seemed to materialize when they had the chance, but now that we're winning those doors are opening. To me it seems like guys either want to play for money or for a winner, so that's a good omen for us

Good omen indeed. A top 5 team in the NHL with as much cap space as the Leafs have...well, let's just say the phones will be quite busy July 1st.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I posted this on the main board tongue-in-cheek, but I really do think Matt Martin could beat him in a foot race.

Do not want.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
We've had lots come home, just at the end of their careers...

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think tavaras wants to come here hes young enuff u make room ..
I mean in my books ,not sure im sold on paying marner or nylander draisatl money .
tavaras may come here for a bit more ,and hes got 5 good years left,and he is a babcock type player
this team isn't that far away from a cup ,but do we wait 3 year more years for nylander and marner to be as good as tavaras and doughty are now ?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I think tavaras wants to come here hes young enuff u make room ..
I mean in my books ,not sure im sold on paying marner or nylander draisatl money .
tavaras may come here for a bit more ,and hes got 5 good years left,and he is a babcock type player
this team isn't that far away from a cup ,but do we wait 3 year more years for nylander and marner to be as good as tavaras and doughty are now ?

I'd sign Tavares in a heartbeat, sweet baby Jesus we'd have the best 1-2 centre punch this side of Pittsburgh. Would take some cap finagling but it'd be extremely worth. 4-6 years of contender status easily.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Idiots like Dutch on Sportsentre saying things like "Go out and get someone - you never know when we'll back in this position again" how every year if they keep their top prospects and draft choices. Arg.

Don't trade for anyone Lou - Please!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would want Nash if it got Hyman off of Matthew's wing.

Nylander - Matthews - Nash
Marleau - Kadri - Marner

Now that's a top 6.

JVR for 1st 2nd prospect
Bozak for a 2nd and 4th
Martin for 3rd

Nash for 2nd 2nd 4th
Nylander to C

Hyman Matthews Nash
Marleau Kadri Marner
Komarov Nylander Kapanen
Soshnikov Moore Brown
Leivo Goat

Something like this would probably work out fine.
We pocket 1st Prospect and a 3rd in total for the future.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Last 2yrs 82gm Scoring Pace

Matthews 43gls, 73pts
Nylander 21gls, 63pts
Marner 19gls, 63pts

Kadri 30gls, 57pts
JVR 31gls, 57pts
Bozak 16gls, 50pts

Marleau 26gls, 44pts
Nash: 27gls, 43pts
Brown 19gls, 33pts
Hyman 12gls, 33pts

Depends on the moves you make really. In some ways swapping out JVR and sliding say Nylander to C makes sense. You can argue that's not tested yet though. JVR has more value than Nash and Bozak is sort of a passenger at this point as far as C's go. The important part in those stats is swapping 31 goals for 27 goals. That's not enough of a difference to be a negative impact.

I also see a benefit to loading up the right side for scoring. Historically RW is the better side to score on statistically, also when your whole team is strong on the same wing it makes shifting players around in the event of injury an easier task.

RW: Nash, Marner, Kapanen, Brown = That's a nice right side to work with, Brown being 4th line waiting for injury to move on up.

LW: Hyman, Marleau, Komarov, Sosh, Leivo, Martin = Pretty strong left side but mostly a digger side.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I'll pass.. He isn't a spring chicken anymore. I also dont like how he didn't want to play for Tornto in the past because we were doing poor now we are good he wants to play for us? I don't like the mentality. If he is a real winner and team player he could have joined and helped our team potentially prior to joining the Rangers.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nash would be even worse in Toronto than he is now. Thought he couldn't take the pressure of the big time hockey market? He was probably correct. :laugh:

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Interesting that we went from one of the teams he'd never want to play for, to one on his trade list. Amazing what a good team can do.

As others have said: we don't really need him given his age, position, skills, and salary. The money and assets would be better spent behind the blue line if we were going to make a move.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
This is a good sign as we were on his no trade list not too long ago.
Thank you shanahan

Yup. It's definitely a good sign of how we've improved.

If I read it right, he's not exactly saying he wants to play here - we're just on a list of 12.

Regardless, not a move we need or want to make.

Reactions: saltming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad