News Article: Maple Leafs are on Rick Nash's 12 Team Trade List

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not a big deal - I don't think if our management is interested

Last edited:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Only way it makes sense is to swap JVR and Nash with their new teams signing them to new deals. (Jvr 6x6 or whatever they work out, Nash 3x6m) Rags get younger and don’t lose much production, if at all. Babcock gets a real gud pro who plays a 200’ game. Both players get to go “home” in a sense.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Only way it makes sense is to swap JVR and Nash with their new teams signing them to new deals. (Jvr 6x6 or whatever they work out, Nash 3x6m) Rags get younger and don’t lose much production, if at all. Babcock gets a real gud pro who plays a 200’ game. Both players get to go “home” in a sense.
NO THANK YOU!

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Until 3-4 years ago, we'd never say no to a guy like this. We begged for it and were always turned down.

How the tables have turned.

Pretty sure that's how it works for a lot of older players in the league, regardless of how good they were.

Vanek was not that much different.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He's still a good player, but he's not exactly known for producing in the playoffs. Considering what it would cost to acquire him, thanks but no thanks.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If you don’t think Babs is drooling over a huge scoring LW that played twice for him on Team Canada then you’d be mistaken

Maybe, but at what cost? If Lou can acquire him without giving up significant assets, then I'm all for it.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Would love to sign him in the off-season for reasonable money and term (no longer than 4 years/$20M). One of my favorite players who I think will regain some of his scoring touch, still should be hovering around 30g a season. Also is a very good skater who has become very responsible defensively. Paying anywhere near the quoted price that NYR is asking for according to the talking heads would be terrible asset management.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I'd take him over Leo Komarov. If they could ship out Leo and bring in Nash at a reasonable cost, I'd be all for it.

Problem is that "reasonable" is out of the question. Apparently they want a 1st+good prospect or something like that, when I wouldn't pay more than a 2nd and even then, I'd rather sell off and use our internal options.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Who does he replaces?. He is a big name and still is decent. But his production has been declining for a while. I like the player and in his prime would love to have had him. However the only way it makes sense to deal for him if we deal bozak for Nash and jvr for a 3c center. I would give Nash a 2 year deal and let him be a mentor for the young talent if he was ok with a reduced role and sub 4 million contract. He still is a good defensive player and can protect the puck well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Would love to sign him in the off-season for reasonable money and term (no longer than 4 years/$20M). One of my favorite players who I think will regain some of his scoring touch, still should be hovering around 30g a season. Also is a very good skater who has become very responsible defensively. Paying anywhere near the quoted price that NYR is asking for according to the talking heads would be terrible asset management.

I think the Leafs already made that sort of move with Marleau last year. We shouldn't be giving out any more big money deals to support players, especially older declining ones. Marleau is not really playing to his money, but at least he's durable and still producing at an NHL top 9 quality. Nash is a lot more volatile than Marleau given his style of play, and is not worth anywhere near 5 mill. He should be getting Vanek contracts from here on in, which means one or maybe two years deal not eclipsing 3 mill a year. 4x5 for Nash would be an albatross from the get-go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad