Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Announce Qualifying Offers

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
okay i was like wasn't he gonna go to the KHL, why did we qualify him.
then it's like ooohhhh

also. good. that we kept Goat.

Reactions: Anthrax442

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Very surprised we qualified Marincin, he was good with the Marlies at times but he is getting older and proved he will never stick with the Leafs in 16-17

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Also, does the fact that Nylander was just given a qualified offer now mean that negotiations with him haven't even begun yet?

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Very surprised we qualified Marincin, he was good with the Marlies at times but he is getting older and proved he will never stick with the Leafs in 16-17
He's great depth to keep around. Extend a contract. Waive him. If he's claimed, oh well. If not, you have a defender with 200+ NHL games sitting there if you are in a In Case of Emergency Break Glass situation.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, does the fact that Nylander was just given a qualified offer now mean that negotiations with him haven't even begun yet?

No.

Qualifying Offers are just a 1 year offer at 105% of their salary from the previous season. Even if the Maple Leafs and Nylander were close to a contract, they would still need to submit a copy of this offer to both the NHL office and Nylanders agent to officially retain his rights.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Makes sense. Marincin isn't surprising after the comments by Dubas, and Gauthier and Holl at least provide depth at valuable positions.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

That is my thought. A trade that is. I would love him on the Marlies, even if it means a multi-year deal with a lower cap hit, but he has earned another shot at the NHL level. That will not come here.

Even if it is for a mid-20's center who can be the top line guy for the Marlies and compete with Lindholm + Gauthier for the 4C job next year. That makes sense for the Leafs right now.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Or bad, depending how you look at it (speaks to their C depth)

He is a great option to have on the Leafs as a 13th forward next year. Rather him than some vet without a future. I do not remember a single time he had a bad game in the Marlies playoffs, and he looked like he developed some offensive competence as well. He's never going to light up a score sheet, but there should not be anything stopping him from producing a normal 4C rate in the NHL if he is given the right line mates and opportunities to do so.

Plus, he still has value as a trade chip. Maybe not a ton, but there could be a team out there that likes a big, cheap 4C with some upside left in the tank.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I would have rather they let Marincin, Aaltonen and Gauthier walk. 3 contracts for guys unlikely to ever play for the Leafs isn't a great play imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad