Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Announce Qualifying Offers

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Surprised Gauthier got one, but I guess that speaks to our poor center depth beyond our top 9.

The way Dubas talked about Marincin made it seem like a qualifying offer was coming, but still a little surprising there too. As mentioned on the previous page, the qualifying offer is above the point where he can be buried in the minors without incurring a cap hit.

Or his good performance in the playoffs.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Gotta love that there are actually Leafs fans on Twitter upset about Nylander getting a QO because he's apparently a bust. I don't even understand how anyone could arrive at that conclusion.

For the good of your mental health, try to stay off of Twitter. There's a lot of anonymous trolls.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Not surprised that we qualified everyone.

I know some in the media thought the Goat was going to go, but we need Cs to play on the Marlies too. I wish Marincin had been let go. I cannot stand seeing him on the ice

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's only going to make 42 contracts with Aaltonen going back to the KHL. Lots of room to add players.

Personally I hope for Marincin's own good that his qualification is an asset management move. It would be strange that he'd be content with a demotion to the Marlies for another year. Then again, the Leafs are in a position that they could sign him for a $1M one way which would hardly be terrible for the player financially. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm rooting for him to find some higher level success and I don't think it'll be here.

Not being particularly impressed with Marincin and Gauthier doesn't mean we can't be rooting for them to succeed. Both individuals seem to be good teammates. There is more to both players if they "get it".

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Maple Leafs extend qualifying offer to Nylander, five others

Maple Leafs extend qualifying offer to Nylander, five others - Sportsnet.ca

5805.jpg

The Toronto Maple Leafs have extended qualifying offers to six pending restricted free agents on Monday, ahead of the 5 p.m. ET deadline.

Players include forwards William Nylander, Andreas Johnsson, Frederik Gauthier and Miro Aaltonen and defencemen Justin Holl and Martin Marincin.
This means the club has the right of first refusal to match any offer sheets from competing teams and officially retains negotiating rights with all six players. Failure to extend an offer means the player hits unrestricted free agency.

Of these six players, only Nylander has been a constant on the NHL roster as a key player in the Maple Leafs’ rebuild over the past few seasons. The 22-year-old registered 20 goals and 41 assists for 61 points in 82 games in 2017-18.

Johnsson, Gaulthier, Holl and Marincin spent the majority of this past season with the AHL’s Toronto Marlies, helping the club win the Calder Cup earlier this month.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
You can't say that. Unless you're in MLSE brass, or Nylander, or his agent, nobody knows what's going on. I'm willing to bet they've made at least an offer, but negotiations take time.
If they made him a legit offer, there was no need to offer him a qualifying offer after that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maple Leafs extend qualifying offer to Nylander, five others

Maple Leafs extend qualifying offer to Nylander, five others - Sportsnet.ca

5805.jpg

The Toronto Maple Leafs have extended qualifying offers to six pending restricted free agents on Monday, ahead of the 5 p.m. ET deadline.

Players include forwards William Nylander, Andreas Johnsson, Frederik Gauthier and Miro Aaltonen and defencemen Justin Holl and Martin Marincin.
This means the club has the right of first refusal to match any offer sheets from competing teams and officially retains negotiating rights with all six players. Failure to extend an offer means the player hits unrestricted free agency.

Of these six players, only Nylander has been a constant on the NHL roster as a key player in the Maple Leafs’ rebuild over the past few seasons. The 22-year-old registered 20 goals and 41 assists for 61 points in 82 games in 2017-18.

Johnsson, Gaulthier, Holl and Marincin spent the majority of this past season with the AHL’s Toronto Marlies, helping the club win the Calder Cup earlier this month.

Old news and not really surprising.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...alifying-offers.2508627/page-3#post-147357515

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My heart jumped when I thought they signed his actual extension, not just a qualifying offer...

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think @JadedLeaf is saying that if you extend a bonafide offer (meeting the salary conditions), that would be the qualifying offer. Hence no need for a second minimum offer.
I think this may be a terminology/semantics thing. A QO is a registered offer (afaik) whereas simply extending a contract offer may never leave the room in which it was offered.

In other words, at the draft if Duby saw Willy agent and said "would 5 x $5M do it?" that would not be a QO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad