Confirmed with Link: Maple Leafs Announce Qualifying Offers

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I'm of the opinion they should've let Goat walk. But I also get that we're kinda desperate for centers. There's nothing in his game that tells me he'll make any adjustments to stick because it's fundamentally about his aggression/temperament and not about his skating, although that's not NHL quality either.

They also see something in Marincin most of us don't, and I think they're waiting on an adjustment in his confidence. Overall, I am whelmed.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I watched some Marlies games and yeah Marincin did his job but he still did the things that got him burnt in the NHL. The only reason it goes under the radar is because consequences aren't the same in the AHL.

If Marincin ever cracks the top 6 and there's not at least 2-3 injuries to D-men, it means we're not ready to contend. Hopefully he's just there as a deep callup and to help the Marlies repeat.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I would have rather they let Marincin, Aaltonen and Gauthier walk. 3 contracts for guys unlikely to ever play for the Leafs isn't a great play imo.

We qualified Aaltonen... he won't sign, he's gone to the KHL, but in qualifying, we retain his rights.

Gauthier was a must sign, no matter how you feel about him. Our C depth is just so pathetic we have to. Plus, he deserves one more year anyway.

Marincin... depth, no big deal.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm of the opinion they should've let Goat walk. But I also get that we're kinda desperate for centers. There's nothing in his game that tells me he'll make any adjustments to stick because it's fundamentally about his aggression/temperament and not about his skating, although that's not NHL quality either.

They also see something in Marincin most of us don't, and I think they're waiting on an adjustment in his confidence. Overall, I am whelmed.

can one be whelemd?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Almost a bit surprised they opted to qualify the Goat, but he seemed to have a good playoff run and they likely wanted again to be with the Marlies

might not be a popular opinion on these boards; but I am glad we qualified Marincin; I still think he can be a good d-man in NHL

Me too, at the very least he can be a serviceable #7 guy.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Surprised Gauthier got one, but I guess that speaks to our poor center depth beyond our top 9.

The way Dubas talked about Marincin made it seem like a qualifying offer was coming, but still a little surprising there too. As mentioned on the previous page, the qualifying offer is above the point where he can be buried in the minors without incurring a cap hit.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Surprised Gauthier got one, but I guess that speaks to our poor center depth beyond our top 9.

The way Dubas talked about Marincin made it seem like a qualifying offer was coming, but still a little surprising there too. As mentioned on the previous page, the qualifying offer is above the point where he can be buried in the minors without incurring a cap hit.

I expected Marincin to be qualified. If the Leafs are serious about claiming they are going to make full use of their development system, skinflinting needs to be a thing of the past.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Goat is useful depth .. Could do worse for a 4th line centre fill-in IMO. Probably not a long term NHLer but for short stints I'm okay with it.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Just doesn’t seem like an NHL player to me, not enough puck skills to play a skill-game, and not aggressive enough or physical enough to be a Prototypical fourth line player.

Meh

Gauthier is cheap depth and he's useful on the Marlies

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I would have rather they let Marincin, Aaltonen and Gauthier walk. 3 contracts for guys unlikely to ever play for the Leafs isn't a great play imo.

Mueller, Smith are others played for the Marlies last year and weren't going to be Leafs. You have to a some veteran presence at the AHL level,. Really you want to have 23 twenty one year olds with the Marlies. And Aaltonen has already "walked", Leafs are just retaining his NHL rights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad