TSN: Maple Leafs and Panarin have history....Very interesting

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
If we didn’t sign Tavares this would be a real possibility but we simply cannot afford Panarin.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
In this hypothetical scenario of Marner accepting an offer for an obscene amount, i would hope a couple of those 5 players remain unsigned for long enough for us to put in an offer. Id rank the desire to have them as 1. Karlsson 2. Stone or Panarin 3. Skinner 4. Duchene. I might not even want Duchene. If we couldn't get either of the first 4 i think id rather spend the money on RD stopgap solutions.

If marner is gone on an offershet, the leafs are 100% signing one of those 5 players.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
If we can get rid of Marleau, Zaitsev, Brown and don't resign Gardiner then maybe.

Yeah let’s take four players off our roster. Two players playing in the top four, one top six player to add Panarin who will make this cap mess even worse.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Yeah let’s take four players off our roster. Two players playing in the top four, one top six player to add Panarin who will make this cap mess even worse.
This is all hypothetical and won't happen but getting rid of Marleau and Zaitsev nets us 10+million so we wouldn't have to get rid of Gardiner or Brown.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
This is all hypothetical and won't happen but getting rid of Marleau and Zaitsev nets us 10+million so we wouldn't have to get rid of Gardiner or Brown.

I think Gardiner is gone for sure. He’s been booed for the past month. Can’t see him wanting to take a discount to stay. Can’t see the leafs signing him without a huge discount

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Free agency is so enticing for the main word, free.
It doesnt cost assets.
It could be a fun thing to theorize about.

Let's say the Leafs deal Nylander for a d man on an ELC or cheap contract (Pesce?) + picks to balance.

Marleau is moved to a team like Arizona where he will be only owed 1 million, and can teach their kids to play. Aka dad mode coach.

Zaitsev is moved to a team that still values his grindiness, or for a LTIR contract that's not insured.

You sign Panarin, and run
Panarin Matthew's Kapannen
Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Moore

That's a pretty sick top 9.

Reilly Pesce
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Liljgren

Leafs, if you need me to start working for Dubas DM me .

I mean this is fun to do in fantasy land but we have no money to sign Dermott, Muzzin and Rielly in 3 years and none of Liljegren and Sandin if they find any success.

Its easy to fit Paranin in next year, but the 2-6 years would be impossible

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Maybe not even Panarin, anyone of Stone, Duchene and Skinner are all fine. Heck maybe save all those money and sign Karlsson.

I'd take a flyer on Stone and Panarin. Not Duchene though. Playing well in a contract year doesnt instill confidence.

The other two fit the bill though. No idea for what or how we'd accommodate their contracts.

Thinking about the Sens provokes jealousy about Chabot. Was there a buy-low window that could have been had?

Bah. Hindsight.

member 300185

As would I. But a team that’s already at a cap crunch isn’t signing Panarin too. And I don’t think trading Marleau or Zaitsev would be difficult either, I just think for what they are, they’re fine
As much as I like Marleau, I would lose no sleep to trade him back to San Jose to finish out his career. I would take a 7th rounder for him just to move that salary. It really is the only bad salary on the team that has to go. Gives us great options going forward.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
As much as I like Marleau, I would lose no sleep to trade him back to San Jose to finish out his career. I would take a 7th rounder for him just to move that salary. It really is the only bad salary on the team that has to go. Gives us great options going forward.
Aside from his salary he’s fine though is my point. He’s not expected to be the franchise player anymore. If he were signed for 3.5 to mentor the kids and play 3rd line minutes and chip in a few goals, everyone is happy. It’s just not 3.5 haha

Same goes for zaitsev he’d be fine playing 15 minutes on the third pairing. But he has a 4-4-4.5 cap hit and only now will see his minutes cut a bit by muzzin, so he gets shit on. I’d try and move him first.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I was just listening to TSN 1050 and Leafs Lunch. Dreger, Lebrun, Gord Miller, and Andy were talking about Panarin and where he might end up.....

well, Dreger and LeBrun started talking to when Panarin was a free agent wanting to come over from Europe and many teams were courting him. As we all know he ended up choosing the BlackHawks....BUT

LeBrun and Dreger both confirmed that the Leafs were the runners up to the CHI. In fact they both went on to say that Shanahan was very into Panarin and went all out to try and get him to sign with the Leafs. Shanahan made many trips to Europe.

That is a very interesting story to me since I never heard the Leafs had any interest let alone were runners up to CHI.

I wonder if Shanahan is still liking Panarin enough to pitch to him come July 1. Panarin is intent on hitting the free agent market and is very determined to do so. maybe it is because he sees the Leafs and how good they are and how they are spending money to be a contender and thinks he can get paid very well in Toronto.

Panarin has made it clear he wants to play in a major market.

I hope you guys find this story from Dreger and Lebrun as interesting as I did.

Perhaps if Matthews signs for 7-8 million for 5 years and Marner sign for 6 million for 5 years too then we can afford the Bread Man.... of course we will need to trade Marleau’s contract too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad