TSN: Maple Leafs and Panarin have history....Very interesting

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Who needs depth anyways
Brown and Marleau are 3/4th liners and Zaitsev is a 5/6 dman. We can keep Gardiner and replace the others with cheaper options. We were fine doing the exact same thing this year replacing Leo, jvr, Martin, Plekanec and Bozak with Tavares and cheaper options. We can do the same again for Panarin.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
If Marner ever actually did sign an offer sheet (Which he absolutely will not), take the 4 first round picks, and give that cap space to Panarin.

easy.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Brown and Marleau are 3/4th liners and Zaitsev is a 5/6 dman. We can keep Gardiner and replace the others with cheaper options. We were fine doing the exact same thing this year replacing Leo, jvr, Martin, Plekanec and Bozak with Tavares and cheaper options. We can do the same again for Panarin.
...3rd and fourth liners are depth players.

How’s that working for Chicago these days?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If he is coming to TO to win a Cup and sign another UFA contract with another contract in 1020.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
...3rd and fourth liners are depth players.

How’s that working for Chicago these days?
We can find players who will perform as well as Marleau and Zaitsev for a lot cheaper.

How's it working it for Toronto after losing our depth according to you?

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
We can say "hey, we cant afford you this year. But next year that old man is done and we'll have some money for you then. Sign a one year deal. Else you next summer".

Or

Douche bag dregger is right. Marner signs an offer sheet for more than we are whiling to match. Take the 4 first and sign the bread man.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

The90

Feb 27, 2017
We can find players who will perform as well as Marleau and Zaitsev for a lot cheaper.

How's it working it for Toronto after losing our depth according to you?
Really. Do tell where we find these replacement players. I’m sure most teams would find a spot for both players if given the option.

They don’t just grow on trees contrary to popular belief. Not to mention if you trade either you’ll likely have to retain some salary

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Really. Do tell where we find these replacement players. I’m sure most teams would find a spot for both players if given the option.

They don’t just grow on trees contrary to popular belief. Not to mention if you trade either you’ll likely have to retain some salary

The reality is that we will have to replace those kinds of guys with guys who are making barely above the league min if we want to keep our core together.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The reality is that we will have to replace those kinds of guys with guys who are making barely above the league min if we want to keep our core together.
I whole heartedly agree. But your replacing 3rd liners with more third liners. And 2/3 pairing d with 2/3 pairing d. They’re useless trades the majority of the time. How many have Pittsburgh made this and last year for example. Drafting and developing well, is now going to be extemy important.

The grass isn’t always greener

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto

Ennis? Johnsson? Kapanen? You find cheap vets and you let younger players graduate. Trading Marleau and Zaitsev are tricky and I'm not sure if its even possible but if we can I would definitely get rid of them to sign Panarin.

BackPassChampions

Jun 26, 2015
Ennis? Johnsson? Kapanen? You find cheap vets and you let younger players graduate. Trading Marleau and Zaitsev are tricky and I'm not sure if its even possible but if we can I would definitely get rid of them to sign Panarin.

I’m surprised people still think it’s almost impossible to get rid of a player.

Does anyone remember Phaneuf & Clarkson?? Now THOSE were “impossible” players to get rid of... and here we are.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I’m surprised people still think it’s almost impossible to get rid of a player.

Does anyone remember Dion Phaneuf & Clarkson?? Now THOSE were “impossible” players to get rid of... and here we are.
Well we need to free up space right away to go after Panarin and while the Phaneuf deal was genius it took a year to get out of the contracts. Clarkson was a special case which will be hard to replicate. In addition, Marleau has a NMC as well.

pan43

Feb 1, 2019
If Marner ever actually did sign an offer sheet (Which he absolutely will not), take the 4 first round picks, and give that cap space to Panarin.

easy.
We should just give him and his agent a call during the 'interview period' just before July 1st, and tell him that if he hasn't signed yet and Marner gets some insane offer sheet in the line of 13 million from some mediocre team, then we'd like to have him come on board. I agree this scenario wont happen. But if we had to let Marner go to an offer sheet but we managed to sign Panarin I wouldn't be totally bummed out about it.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Just no cap room at all for him. Leafs and Panarin aren't a match unfortunately.

Not true. If we traded for him, we would just need to ship out 2 to 3mill to fit him under this yr. Now re signing him is impossible..unless you figure we can off load Marleau AND Zaits..note the capitals...both would give us just over 11mill more we can spend

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
We should just give him and his agent a call during the 'interview period' just before July 1st, and tell him that if he hasn't signed yet and Marner gets some insane offer sheet in the line of 13 million from some mediocre team, then we'd like to have him come on board. I agree this scenario wont happen. But if we had to let Marner go to an offer sheet but we managed to sign Panarin I wouldn't be totally bummed out about it.
More likely that we preempt the offersheet and trade Marner at the draft, leaving our hands free for UFA and getting more presently usable assets than offersheet comp

Reactions: 81Leafs50

The90

Feb 27, 2017
As would I. But a team that’s already at a cap crunch isn’t signing Panarin too. And I don’t think trading Marleau or Zaitsev would be difficult either, I just think for what they are, they’re fine

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Just no cap room at all for him. Leafs and Panarin aren't a match unfortunately.

Here's the plan ...

1. Leafs tell Matthews & Marner to sign any offer sheet they want.
2. Leafs trade Nylander for two 1st round picks (7th - 15th overall).
3. Leafs sign Panarin, Stone, Hayes & Skinner.

Final result:

Send
= Matthews + Marner + Nylander
Rec = Panarin + Stone + Hayes + Skinner + 10 First Round Picks (non-lottery protected)

Skinner - Tavares - Stone
Marleau - Hayes - Panarin

Johnson - Kadri - Kapanen
Hyman - Gauthier - Brown
Moore - Lindholm - Bracco
Engvall - Aaltonen - Marchy

(14 round 1 picks in 4 years)

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I was just listening to TSN 1050 and Leafs Lunch. Dreger, Lebrun, Gord Miller, and Andy were talking about Panarin and where he might end up.....

well, Dreger and LeBrun started talking to when Panarin was a free agent wanting to come over from Europe and many teams were courting him. As we all know he ended up choosing the BlackHawks....BUT

LeBrun and Dreger both confirmed that the Leafs were the runners up to the CHI. In fact they both went on to say that Shanahan was very into Panarin and went all out to try and get him to sign with the Leafs. Shanahan made many trips to Europe.

That is a very interesting story to me since I never heard the Leafs had any interest let alone were runners up to CHI.

I wonder if Shanahan is still liking Panarin enough to pitch to him come July 1. Panarin is intent on hitting the free agent market and is very determined to do so. maybe it is because he sees the Leafs and how good they are and how they are spending money to be a contender and thinks he can get paid very well in Toronto.

Panarin has made it clear he wants to play in a major market.

I hope you guys find this story from Dreger and Lebrun as interesting as I did.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Would be crazy if we added him to our forward core but it would cost to much

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Free agency is so enticing for the main word, free.
It doesnt cost assets.
It could be a fun thing to theorize about.

Let's say the Leafs deal Nylander for a d man on an ELC or cheap contract (Pesce?) + picks to balance.

Marleau is moved to a team like Arizona where he will be only owed 1 million, and can teach their kids to play. Aka dad mode coach.

Zaitsev is moved to a team that still values his grindiness, or for a LTIR contract that's not insured.

You sign Panarin, and run
Panarin Matthew's Kapannen
Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Moore

That's a pretty sick top 9.

Reilly Pesce
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Liljgren

Leafs, if you need me to start working for Dubas DM me .

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maybe not even Panarin, anyone of Stone, Duchene and Skinner are all fine. Heck maybe save all those money and sign Karlsson.

Reactions: pan43

pan43

Feb 1, 2019
In this hypothetical scenario of Marner accepting an offer for an obscene amount, i would hope a couple of those 5 players remain unsigned for long enough for us to put in an offer. Id rank the desire to have them as 1. Karlsson 2. Stone or Panarin 3. Skinner 4. Duchene. I might not even want Duchene. If we couldn't get either of the first 4 i think id rather spend the money on RD stopgap solutions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad