Rumor: Mantha to EDM for RNH?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Are we going to think every time he is the middle of a hot streak he is "figuring it out", though?

I hope that he does, it's also possible that this is just who he is.

Big-bodied goal scorers are like this. Almost every single one. They rarely dictate play (Ovechkin-level being the exception) and are opportunistic. A great piece to have, but not a building block. Think James Neal, Patrick Sharp, Jason Williams.

And that's why moving Mantha for RNH is a damn good idea. I'd be thrilled with that swap. A one-two of Larkin and RNH would be an immediate boost.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
No desire to trade Mantha for RNH. He's 26, owed 12 million over the next two years, and he's set to be a UFA after those two years. No thanks unless they are looking to dump him on us, or trade for one of our guys that we don't want which will never happen.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
No desire to trade Mantha for RNH. He's 26, owed 12 million over the next two years, and he's set to be a UFA after those two years. No thanks unless they are looking to dump him on us, or trade for one of our guys that we don't want which will never happen.

Wut? Mantha is a one dimensional player at the least important position in the NHL, for a guy would immediately plug a major hole in the Wings' lineup?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
"We like our young forwards," does not mean "we like our team."

RNH is a young forward who is a) a better all around player than Mantha and b) plays a more desirable position that will help fill one of our holes. Suddenly everyone around here has an aversion to trades that make our team better while previously chiding Holland for doing exactly you they are doing. It doesn't make sense!

Reactions: Tiesgo2vets

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Big-bodied goal scorers are like this. Almost every single one. They rarely dictate play (Ovechkin-level being the exception) and are opportunistic. A great piece to have, but not a building block. Think James Neal, Patrick Sharp, Jason Williams.

And that's why moving Mantha for RNH is a damn good idea. I'd be thrilled with that swap. A one-two of Larkin and RNH would be an immediate boost.
Is your using Williams kinda like Van Halen's "no brown M&M's" in their contract, to make sure people are reading your whole post? ;)

Because one of these things is not like the others.

Reactions: ShelbyZ and Bench

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Are we going to think every time he is the middle of a hot streak he is "figuring it out", though?

I hope that he does, it's also possible that this is just who he is.

I mean when do we stop calling it a hot streak for Mantha, and start calling the down streaks a cold streak?

He played 40 games after returning from injury and averaged 0.85 points per game and 0.4 goals per game (16 goals and 34 points). 3 times in that stretch he went more than a single game without recording a point. One occurrence was 2 games, the others were 6 games. If anything, that's a good player who went through cold streaks, not the other way around. In Larkin's last 40 games, he had 17 goals and 39 points; we all agree that Larkin is the better player, but we're talking half a season that Mantha stayed on pace with a damn good hockey player.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Neal was pretty consistent in Pittsburgh. So far I think Mantha has been more enigmatic than those guys. I’m fine with keeping him, he may still put it together or maybe that comes as the team improves. But I won’t be surprised if we continue these stretches of overexcitement and then frustration every year either. It might just be how he’s wired. If he was the player people wanted him to be, he never would have made it to pick #20 in his draft year.

I said I loved the pick when it happened, and I have generally defended Mantha throughout his career. I did so when everyone was down on him after he broke his leg and all that. I just am trying to be realistic at this point. Also maybe he changes in a different environment but it would never have happened here. Tough to say, lots of factors go into this.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
RNH is a young forward who is a) a better all around player than Mantha and b) plays a more desirable position that will help fill one of our holes. Suddenly everyone around here has an aversion to trades that make our team better while previously chiding Holland for doing exactly you they are doing. It doesn't make sense!

I don't think "everyone" is doing or saying anything like what you're suggesting. I literally posted a trade involving Mantha/RNH/Trouba in this thread. Some people think drafting a C with 6OA makes more sense for the rebuild than trading part of our core for one. Thats a fair opinion IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean when do we stop calling it a hot streak for Mantha, and start calling the down streaks a cold streak?

He played 40 games after returning from injury and averaged 0.85 points per game and 0.4 goals per game (16 goals and 34 points). 3 times in that stretch he went more than a single game without recording a point. One occurrence was 2 games, the others were 6 games. If anything, that's a good player who went through cold streaks, not the other way around. In Larkin's last 40 games, he had 17 goals and 39 points; we all agree that Larkin is the better player, but we're talking half a season that Mantha stayed on pace with a damn good hockey player.

If he looked the same during the cold steaks, I’d be more ok with dealing with them. When Larkin is not producing he’s still competing his ass off and making an impact all over the ice. Mantha has an incredibly wide spectrum on what you get over the course of a season on any given night.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I like our forward pipeline enough to feel like we don't need a winger for center trade.. especially if we draft a center in the first round this year.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Free agency is full of wingers.

You have to trade for a center/defenceman to get one. And one good one.

On long run, I see Zadina as our right-side PP shooter and Rasmussen as the main net-front player.

Mantha could be expendable.
That's awesome, except the fact both Z and Rass have shown nothing at all yet.

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
Player for player, it’s a good deal for the wings. Seems more likely we’d have to swap picks as well. If we were able to get RNH and Podkolzin, that’s my best case scenario. Manthas value is as high as it’s ever been right now, and it’s about time Kenny makes a good deal for us

Reactions: Winger98

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
We finally move on from Holland and now it's the fans saying, "We like our team."

Get Alanis Morissette in here.

That's not what I'm saying at all? That's quite the reach there that really doesn't apply to what I said at all...

I like 4 of our young, developing forwards who seemingly have great chemistry.

And I'm on record liking our teams trajectory even before Kenny left.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad