Rumor: Mantha to EDM for RNH?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Heaven forbid two top 20 players in the NHL have to drive their own lines...the fact that Oilers fans are identifying that as the biggest problem tells me all I need to know from a value perspective and who the trade favors.
The issue isn't that they have to play on separate lines, it's who they get to play with. If we make this deal one of McDavid/Draisaitl will play with Mantha, and the other will be saddled with deadweights. Our next best forward is Zack Kassian.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I would rather keep Mantha and gamble on him continuing his great play from the end of last year + the WC and draft a young center than make this trade. Sure, if RNH put up another 70 point season as a 2nd line center I would be happy, however, he doesn't fix the long term needs of this team. In about 3/4 years we will be looking for another Center because of RNH age.

RNH just turned 26 a month ago.

Why does everyone around here act like at age 29 every player's NHL career is basically over?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The issue isn't that they have to play on separate lines, it's who they get to play with. If we make this deal one of McDavid/Draisaitl will play with Mantha, and the other will be saddled with deadweights. Our next best forward is Zack Kassian.

Wouldn't McDavid or Draisaitl, as much better players, be better suited to playing with deadweights than RNH is though?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Wouldn't McDavid or Draisaitl, as much better players, be better suited to playing with deadweights than RNH is though?
We have no depth so secondary scoring isn't happening no matter what. Our best shot is just to load up on a line that can score as much as possible and then hope the rest of the team treads water. Unfortunately, that rarely happens.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
RNH is a really, really good player - much better than Mantha. He did score the bulk of his points playing with McDavid, but that's because the Oilers had no wingers to play with anyone. This would be a fantastic trade if it happened, especially with other wingers coming up.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
RNH is a really, really good player - much better than Mantha. He did score the bulk of his points playing with McDavid, but that's because the Oilers had no wingers to play with anyone. This would be a fantastic trade if it happened, especially with other wingers coming up.

You're the second person to mention "other wingers coming up" and I can count on two fingers the number of potential impact first line wingers we have in the organization. And one of them is Mantha.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Here's a post on DSN:

RUMOR: Red Wings’ Steve Yzerman and Oilers’ Ken Holland may be working on huge trade

As Ken Holland takes over the reigns in Edmonton the rumors have begun about who the GM is targeting to provide some scoring punch for the wing of Connor McDavid. One name that keeps surfacing is Anthony Mantha from Holland’s old Red Wings and sources close to the Oilers have mentioned perhaps a name like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins would be in play.

Mantha has been a man on a mission at the World Championships and is one of the best pure young snipers in the league. He’s a couple years younger than RNH and makes less than $4,000,000. He would provide a touch of cap relief to the Oilers if they indeed move him for RNH, not only this year, but long-term as well.

Nugent-Hopkins has two more years at $6,000,000 and is an unrestricted free agent once his contract is up, to then expect a raise to close to $8,000,000, which could be too rich for the Oilers.Would make a ton of sense for the club to think about moving RNH with term left on his deal to maximize his value on the trade market.
Please, no.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
I think this trade would make little sense for a rebuilding team like Detroit. RNH isn't eligible for an extension which mean they risk losing him after two years. I'd stick with Mantha for now.
My thoughts exactly. Suddenly, in two years you are stuck with an 8 million per year bill.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I don't mind it, but I feel like the Wings would have to add more to Mantha to get a 70 point center.

As for RNH, I wouldn't be worried about his age relative to when the team is going to be competitive. I'd be worried about what he's going to cost when he's due for a new contract in 2 years. And that's if he'd even want to stick around with another rebuilding team after spending his entire NHL career in the never ending rebuild purgatory known as the Oilers.

Just taking a peek at the 2021 UFA class, it looks like RNH is going to be one the youngest available as well as the best by pretty wide margin. I'm sure he and his agent are going to want to take advantage of this. Especially when you consider the 2021 offseason is when Seattle enters the league and likely opens up some cap space for teams with trades and expansion choices and it's also possible the NHL might be coming out the potential lockout with some compliance buyouts.

Then again, from what I hear, the Red Wings are never going to overpay a player ever again now that Yzerman is GM. :sarcasm:

More realistically, the Wings could always try RNH for a 1-3/4 seasons and then get a haul for him at the 2021 deadline. Or maybe immediately flip him to the Jets for Trouba, since it seems what they're most after is a #2C.

RNH just turned 26 a month ago.

Why does everyone around here act like at age 29 every player's NHL career is basically over?

29? I thought it was 27.... :popcorn:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’d be legitimately upset by this. It means that just as Mantha is figuring it out, we’re punting on him. For a second line center, which realistically is setting up the scene perfectly for Yzerman to draft Podkolzin over all of the quality centers available in the draft.

Are we going to think every time he is the middle of a hot streak he is "figuring it out", though?

I hope that he does, it's also possible that this is just who he is.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I see a lot of you are drinking the Mantha world championship koolaid... RNH would be a huge add. I still don't trust Mantha.... as for RNH being a UFA in 2 years that's plenty of time to work out a trade or extend him. We has too many wingers. You do this 10/10 if Holland is dumb enough to do it...

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
That's why I don't want to trade Mantha. He's lazy and bad defensively, but at least he's big and a long range scoring threat.

AA is lazy and bad defensively and can only score one way, which usually involves tunneling and pretending his teammates don't exist.
Mantha is not better than AA...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad