Rumor: Mantha to EDM for RNH?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
This is an awful deal for the oilers.

I think the wings would have to add quite a bit to get RNH, who has put up nearly 70 points (69) and plays well in his own end too.

Reactions: belair

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Free agency is full of wingers.

You have to trade for a center/defenceman to get one. And one good one.

On long run, I see Zadina as our right-side PP shooter and Rasmussen as the main net-front player.

Mantha could be expendable.

Reactions: Sparkzuk

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
You'd also be breaking up the bromance these young forwards have... not saying it's necessary to keep them together but based on their progression as a group last year I'd rather not do that.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
You'd also be breaking up the bromance these young forwards have... not saying it's necessary to keep them together but based on their progression as a group last year I'd rather not do that.

Yeah I like the group we have, they compliment each other really well.

Larks - Two-way, hard-working, high-energy
Mantha - Power Forward with a big shot
AA - speedy Playmaker
Bert - skilled Grinder
Zadina - Sniper

Adding a playmaking center would round this Top 6 out very nicely IMO.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I don't mind it, but I feel like the Wings would have to add more to Mantha to get a 70 point center.

More realistically, the Wings could always try RNH for a 1-3/4 seasons and then get a haul for him at the 2021 deadline. Or maybe immediately flip him to the Jets for Trouba, since it seems what they're most after is a #2C.

Interesting and excellent take. That could be precisely what happens - if the Wings want to be aggressive in their pursuit of Trouba. I do hear a number of Wings fans saying “just wait until he hits free agency and get Trouba for free,” but that’s far from guaranteed it plays out that way. So in breaking it down further, acquiring Nuge and flipping him for Trouba is probably the best way to land Trouba, as the Jets are in win now mode and likely aren’t interested in picks/prospects, and the Red Wings other wealth (young wingers) is precisely what the Jets have an over abundance of.

As for the value, as an Oil fan I would expect a little add - the suggested 6th for 8th swap sounds right. Nuge is a much more complete player and plays the premium position. Yes, contract status and cap hit favour Mantha, but I think Nuge is still the more valuable asset. He’s a very good PKer.

And to the people suggesting Nuge’s season was piggybacking off of McDavid, he played with him for roughly the first 25 games and was around a ppg player, the rest of the year (with garbage wingers) he still maintained a 55-60 pt pace. He legitimately took a big step forward last year and started shooting more. He’s got an underrated shot.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Fake rumor based on a fake rumor site...sweet. Pass.
It definitely smells like a blogger trying to fill some pages.

"Now that Holland is in Edmonton and Yzerman is in Detroit, wouldn't it be cool if they swung some trade?"
*starts looking down rosters of both teams*

Reactions: izlez

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Interesting and excellent take. That could be precisely what happens - if the Wings want to be aggressive in their pursuit of Trouba. I do hear a number of Wings fans saying “just wait until he hits free agency and get Trouba for free,” but that’s far from guaranteed it plays out that way. So in breaking it down further, acquiring Nuge and flipping him for Trouba is probably the best way to land Trouba, as the Jets are in win now mode and likely aren’t interested in picks/prospects, and the Red Wings other wealth (young wingers) is precisely what the Jets have an over abundance of.

As for the value, as an Oil fan I would expect a little add - the suggested 6th for 8th swap sounds right. Nuge is a much more complete player and plays the premium position. Yes, contract status and cap hit favour Mantha, but I think Nuge is still the more valuable asset. He’s a very good PKer.

And to the people suggesting Nuge’s season was piggybacking off of McDavid, he played with him for roughly the first 25 games and was around a ppg player, the rest of the year (with garbage wingers) he still maintained a 55-60 pt pace. He legitimately took a big step forward last year and started shooting more. He’s got an underrated shot.

Oilers
Mantha
(6OA)

Red Wings
Trouba
(8OA)

Jets
RNH

Interesting... curious what the rest of y'all think.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
That doesn't look great for the Oilers. Nuge just put up 70 points centering Alex Chiasson and Tobias Rieder.

Would you guys do Mantha + 6 for Nuge + 8, maybe with a small add from our end?
I have no doubt Nuge may have more value than Mantha but just a straight up trade wouldn't feel right for me let alone adding. I would rather just keep Mantha.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Do not make the move Stevie. Mantha needs to stay in Detroit. I believe Mantha has a lot more potential that RNH. going forward. We need to keep the big guy. Mantha I believe if he stays healthy will score between 30-35 next season.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I can't see Yzerman getting rid of Mantha unless we get a top pairing dman in return.

Mantha is improving every year and his potential is huge. You see what he's capable of when he's on, he's a superstar. I'd rather gamble on that than get an average borderline top line center in RNH. Also we already have enough centers on this team, Larkin is a legit top-line center, AA played very well this past season as a center, and Veleno is coming up. If you need another center with potential, it's best to draft one this year, I'm sure we'll get an opportunity at #6.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yep. This whole thing is bogus.
Even if I assume it's 100% bogus, I'm not posting a rumor on a discussion forum to "break news first". It's to generate ideas and other discussion.

Detroit needs to use trades more often. In this specific example, Mantha would be the poster child for selling high, and the thread already helped generate the (IMO good) idea of a 3-team deal to land Trouba.

I can conjure a ridiculous notion out of thin air, but its worth isn't measured by it's journalistic integrity - if it spawns some worthy discussion and critical thinking about ways to improve the team, I'm all for it.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I can't see Yzerman getting rid of Mantha unless we get a top pairing dman in return.

Mantha is improving every year and his potential is huge. You see what he's capable of when he's on, he's a superstar. I'd rather gamble on that than get an average borderline top line center in RNH. Also we already have enough centers on this team, Larkin is a legit top-line center, AA played very well this past season as a center, and Veleno is coming up. If you need another center with potential, it's best to draft one this year, I'm sure we'll get an opportunity at #6.
We need not just center , but playmaker. Both Larkin and AA not really playmakers and we don't know yet what Veleno going to bring to the team .

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
We need not just center , but playmaker. Both Larkin and AA not really playmakers and we don't know yet what Veleno going to bring to the team .

I'm not sure someone like RNH is considered that much of a playmaker either. Certainly not somone worth losing Mantha over. If we're in need of a center with high end playmaking potential, just draft Kirby Dach.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Even if I assume it's 100% bogus, I'm not posting a rumor on a discussion forum to "break news first". It's to generate ideas and other discussion.

Detroit needs to use trades more often. In this specific example, Mantha would be the poster child for selling high, and the thread already helped generate the (IMO good) idea of a 3-team deal to land Trouba.

I can conjure a ridiculous notion out of thin air, but its worth isn't measured by it's journalistic integrity - if it spawns some worthy discussion and critical thinking about ways to improve the team, I'm all for it.

I guess I don’t place a ton of value on idle speculation over theoretical trades since they won’t happen? I’m okay with discussing trade rumors from reliable sources and obviously when trades happen, but I dunno, if I wanted to discuss trade value and stuff like that, I’d frequent the trade section on this board. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad