Signing(s): Manny Machado with the Padres (10 years, $300 million)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Chicago is a great city, but give me $30m per year and California.

Anywhere other than Baltimore really.

Machado can **** off

I hope he never see's a playoff game again in his life

The bashing of Sox as "Cheap" is absurd

The Sox offer was more then fair and reasonable

Disagree, Reinsdorf is known to be a cheapskate and isnt exactly a guy everybody wants to play for.

hot damn! Didnt see that coming by a mile.

Basically nailed on that the Phillies have to bag Harper now, no?

They would have done it already,

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I think this is a great move for the Padres. It’s just too bad they owe Hosmer and Myers over 200 million. That will be what cripples them not Machado’s contract. Now we wait for the prospects to arrive and see if they’re worth the hype.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
They had no 3rd baseman and they have the best farm system in baseball. It's legitimately a perfect fit.

Oh, hello random TV asshat.

He was 9th in WAR in 2018, 7th in 2016, 7th in 2015 and also 17th in 2013 where he was ****ing 20 and 21 years old. He is tied for the 6th most WAR in MLB since 2013 (his first full season) and within 7 WAR of being 2nd.

Now, onto the counting stats that really don't matter but hey, Andrew Siciliano wants to be a dumb ****, let's let him be a dumb ****. He's had two 37 home run seasons and has averaged 35.5 the past four years. Are we really going to quibble that he doesn't have a 40 homer season?
IDK, I think it's valid to question whether his bat is worth this deal or not. Is he one of the best handful of hitters in the league or is he just one of the best hitters at shortstop?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think this is a great move for the Padres. It’s just too bad they owe Hosmer and Myers over 200 million. That will be what cripples them not Machado’s contract. Now we wait for the prospects to arrive and see if they’re worth the hype.

Agree 100%

Reactions: Voight

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
IDK, I think it's valid to question whether his bat is worth this deal or not. Is he one of the best handful of hitters in the league or is he just one of the best hitters at shortstop?

He's an awesome hitter (tied for 28th in wRC+ the past 4 years with one of those years being incredibly unlucky which lowered his numbers despite all batted ball data being around what it always is) and he's just entering his prime. Oh and he's also really good defensively at 3B.

Slam dunk deal for the Padres in my opinion.

Reactions: MikeCubs

darko

Feb 16, 2009

He's not one of the best handful hitters in the league but he is a very good hitter. Combine that with GG defense at 3B and the fact he's just entering his prime and it's a no brainer really.

Reactions: Voight

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
There's risk on the back end for sure, as there would be for any 10 year deal, but there's no denying Machado is a top level player.

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
Wow. Good for the Padres to get a star player but is he going to be worth the 300M? Time will tell.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
There's a rumor that the Sox offer was only three years guaranteed with a player option.

If that's the case, lolhaha.

-twitterrumor

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Just seems like a good fit and market for him, I like it. They should move the return to brown uniforms up a year and begin a whole new era with Machado.

Reactions: MikeCubs

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
It's beyond ridiculous that it has taken this long to get the Free Agent market moving.

That said just how far is San Diego away from competing for a Wild Card slot?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I posted this elsewhere

52569260_1747456412021881_8870519432443592704_n.png

You do realize Blockbuster Video still exists, right?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
You do realize Blockbuster Video still exists, right?

I was in Oregon in September and unsuccessfully tried to convince my friend to take the 45 minute detour to the last Blockbuster in the US.

It's beyond ridiculous that it has taken this long to get the Free Agent market moving.

That said just how far is San Diego away from competing for a Wild Card slot?

I think the plan has been to start turning the corner for the 2020 season. This year's pitching staff will be a mess but they're hoping some of the minor league arms start getting promoted throughout the season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There's risk on the back end for sure, as there would be for any 10 year deal, but there's no denying Machado is a top level player.
That’s where I figured mlb teams would fight for. No issue with the average yearly cost but figured they would have pushed to make it a 6-8 year deal even at a higher amount.

Like 8 years for $256 million.

Jays are paying Tulo $36 million to not play for them over the next 2 years. That’s the downside of long term deals.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015

And he turned that down?

Hahahahahahagagagagagahahahahahahahahahahagagagagagagaahhahahajahahahahahahah

Nobody wants to play for Reinsdorf, its as simple as that.

WSox are a fifth option in a four option town, their "prospects" are a little on the over rated side, and they have been a running joke for so long, Trader Kenny and Hahn have no idea as to why Manny used their offer to get a better one.

The White Sox are the Oilers of MLB.

Reactions: Voight and MikeCubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad