Signing(s): Manny Machado with the Padres (10 years, $300 million)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
A) Players simply don't want to play for Ole Reinsdorf, and I'm not surprised. His rep as a sports owner has tanked in recent years.

B) If he was really serious about Machado, why not just offer the same deal as the Padres, maybe with a little bit more $$$ ?
You have to draw the line somewhere. You can argue were that line should be drawn for sure, but I don't have a problem with my team deciding this is what they think makes sense and sticking to their guns.

Would have liked to get him, but that price (term) makes me nervous, especially knowing the organization isn't going to have the kind of money to just pay for it to go away, if it does turn out bad.

(I'm a White Sox fan)

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
I really didn't think it would be hard to get but you are special.

e02q1B0E_400x400.jpg

cubs-cursed.jpg

But tell me again how the White Sox have been a running joke for so long.
It's been what, three years since the Cubs won a WS? :D :D

#that108yearvibelol

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
These big money 10 year deals almost always lose value for their team out by the end of the contract

Waiting for Bryce Harper sign for more money with the White Sox

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You have to draw the line somewhere. You can argue were that line should be drawn for sure, but I don't have a problem with my team deciding this is what they think makes sense and sticking to their guns.

Would have liked to get him, but that price (term) makes me nervous, especially knowing the organization isn't going to have the kind of money to just pay for it to go away, if it does turn out bad.
Honestly, in the past decade how many contracts greater than 6 years to a free agent has actually worked out for the team?

I wouldn't lose sleep over my favourite team capping the term at 6 years and getting outbid for a player's services. 32 is not old, but you're gambling that the player is going to remain healthy throughout the term of the contract. They could very end up injured like Donaldson or Tulo and then you're stuck with that player for multiple years.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
if the padres prospects don't pan out this will be a-rod in texas 2.0 and after a few seasons SD will deal machado to NY or BOS

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
if the padres prospects don't pan out this will be a-rod in texas 2.0 and after a few seasons SD will deal machado to NY or BOS
Pretty much this. They have no pitching, Padres roster is terrible. Few years away still. Preller is not very good GM imo.

Oct 18, 2011
300 million dollars to spend your 20s and 30s in... impossible to hate on the guy. SD is one of the top cities in this country and it sounds like they're supposed to be competitive again soon

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Suddenly had more baseball conversations with friends yesterday, although I had to temper everybody's expectations. It's funny to see how the casual fan thinks one guy could add 20 wins.

Reactions: robertmac43

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Ways away. They have no pitching .

MLB Network was quoting Trevor Bauer remarks on how he knows that he'll be shipped out of Cleveland prior to his contract ending or via free agency. Which prompted one of the analysts to claim it would be a good idea to acquire him as the ace of the Padres staff.

Had to do a spit take.

Reactions: darko

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
His numbers will dip in Petco and Padres will praying he opts out in 5 years when they're still hovering around 3rd in the division.

Possibly but there is lot's of space in the outfield at Petco so he might be hitting more doubles/triples than home runs.

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Good guy Manny really dodged a bullet by not choosing the White Sox. Glad he held out for the right team instead of settling for less.

Reactions: MikeCubs

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
well in this case he chased the money AND he gets to live in a beautiful city with amazing weather on top of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad