Manitoba Moose 2.0: AHL in Winnipeg 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
It's Owetario that's dead and buried. They are in worse shape than Manitoba. I see us re-electing the NDP and building a new $400 million NHL arena on the former to be Hudson Bay downtown store. It's more merciful than dividing it into two parts.

They elected to have a crazy looking Moose over a few extra sets on gloves, pants, and helmets? Who are these guys? And how come they re rich and I'm poor?

I have some theories...

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
- People cancelling Jets tickets in favour of the Moose games?

Not a chance.

The underlying issue with the Moose is that regardless of what TNSE says as far as this team being a permanent fixture in Winnipeg and making a go of it..... the fact is it just may not work out for whatever reason, and TNSE "could" end up moving them somewhere else.

As a Season Ticket Holder of the Jets, would you risk giving up your STs to the Jets for the Moose, with the possibility of it not being permanent and you ending up at the back of the Jets' waiting list line???

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Something happened in 04-05 and it put the Moose attendance over the top. Must have been a lower GST? I bet Moose succeed wildly barring some economic problem nobody could possibly see coming. I just don't like the colour co-ordination. Think of what they could have saved on seat material if they kept the old Moose colours.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
It will be slightly lower this time around IMO. Back then the Moose were the only game in town so they got a lot of support. Just me, but I would see them maybe getting into the 4000-5000 range.

Agreed - I could see the attendance being around 5,000 being filled consistently with the majority being families with young kids in attendance. I think for the first season it might even average to 6,000 due to the exciting of the AHL being back and the success of the Jets last year.

5,000 attendees for 38 games at $19.63 per ticket (average) = $3.7M in ticket revenue per year (less ticket selling costs and plus playoff games).

Ice caps average attendance was 6,287 (capacity) since their inception. Average ticket prices were higher, but the Icecaps also had to pay visiting teams a subsidy due to higher travel costs getting to St. Johns. Would be curious to see the operating costs of running an AHL club.

pong0814

Jul 27, 2011
Frankly, I think the whole process was based off minimizing the impact to Mick E. Moose. ;)

Will Mick E. have to clear waivers every time he has to work for the other team, or does he only have to clear the first time around?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think the jersey looks so cheezy, mostly because I was hoping they'd have the old colours I liked with the Moose. Like it looks so... ugh, it bothers me so, so much. That wasn't the Moose I grew up watching!!! Not that its Jets colours but... I'm a little pissed off.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I like the new colours

but the old moose jerseys still exist for people to rock those colours if they want

true north is creating synergy between the two brands, its understandable why they would want the moose to be an extension of the NHL team rather than their own identity with their own logo and such

I have no issue with it and look forward to getting a new moose jersey/shirt

darksociety

Apr 6, 2011
Winnipeg
Texted my girlfriend and we agreed we'll be picking up season tickets for this iteration of the Moose. I did not live in Winnipeg the first time and have no interest in dropping thousands (or waiting twenty years) for Jets tickets, so this is perfect. I am also used to watching MJHL in person, so this will be a step up. Plus there's a direct transit route from my place, so it's a win all around.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It makes me think on how the attendance will work.

I think some people will cancel their Jets season tickets and others will get them, so theres no loss there.

But if this was just the return of the Moose, it would get 5-6,000 people. But because its our AHL team for our NHL team this time I say they might have to open the upper deck for some games. So I think at least 7,500 would be our average attendance.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Looking back at old pics of the Moose jerseys, the logo always hung kind of low, so really not much of a difference. The jerseys are growing on me. Always loved the logo.

But the look is secondary to me anyway. I have half season tickets in the 300 level for the Jets but am going to love seeing the prospects like Morrissey, Petan, etc up close in the lower bowl a few times a season. This is great.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I wonder - will they switch the center ice logo for the Moose games or just play with the Jets center ice logo all season?

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

I think some people will cancel their Jets season tickets and others will get them, so theres no loss there.

But if this was just the return of the Moose, it would get 5-6,000 people. But because its our AHL team for our NHL team this time I say they might have to open the upper deck for some games. So I think at least 7,500 would be our average attendance.

Much like the Jets, if it came to it I'm pretty sure the Moose would prefer to consistently sell out the lower bowl and create a sense of scarcity for the tickets.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Chipman acknowledged on 1290 that they wouldn't need the same attendance as last time to be successful. He just said they'd need "a few thousand" in attendance to make it work. I'm sure he knows exactly how many, but doubt they'd share. My guess is if they get an average of 4-5000, they'd be fine. Tons of cost savings being in the same arena as the Jets.

Agreed, this is why I think the Moose are here for a long time.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Agreed, this is why I think the Moose are here for a long time.

I think they will get at least the same if not more attendance than before. So many people I've talked to say they will be more interested now because there will be more of a connection to the team. And tickets are cheap!

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
It's all pretty lame. For a organization that wants the Moose to stay forever in Winnipeg this is a terrible start. That Moose is laughable. They would have been better off keeping the old jerseys, or calling the team the CoWs. Lower prices is one good point but they hope to make it up with 10 dollar beer. The parking guys are laughing, it costs 15 to park the car and 15 to go to the game.

I'm pretty sure it wont cost as much to park for AHL games ...are you for real or did you really think it would be the same? not sure if you are joking? :huh:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Will this spell the demise of NHL hockey in Winnipeg?

- People cancelling Jets tickets in favour of the Moose games?

- Those desiring to be an attendee at the MTS Centre have their demand met?

- Less interest in the Jets overall as only so many dollars and hours in the day to go around?

You can't be serious. I'm a season ticket holder, I intend on keeping mine until the day I die or the NHL folds, whichever comes first. I will be going to a few Moose games a year I'm sure as i want to see the prospects play, but to think the vast majority of Jets STH would trade in for AHL tix is fairly absurd.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Nope. I asked about that this morning and was told it would be the Jets logo all season long.

Thanks, probably makes sense as the center ice logo is usually set under about 1" of ice so it'll be problematic (and probably an unnecessary expense) to have to flip this ~76 nights a year.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
You know how when you're on your PC and you start making random boxes on your desktop that give everything a blue tint? I feel like somebody at True North had a Manitoba Moose wallpaper and did just that.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG

I think some people will cancel their Jets season tickets
and others will get them, so theres no loss there.

Who would do that? I can't imagine one fan would choose AHL over NHL. Maybe a small business who decided they can't afford Jets? I dunno...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad