Manitoba Moose 2.0: AHL in Winnipeg 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Per AHL rules, the Moose will wear their white jerseys at home and dark (navy) jerseys on the road.

At least when the Moose make the playoffs we won't have this insane debate as to the White Out not matching the teams colors.

Thank God. That debate is so annoying. We're going to have to hear it every single year we make the playoffs. :shakehead

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
JC-LIpon-300x200.jpg

JC Lipon spoke to media about the Moose.

To listen click here.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Ontario Reign are moving to Manchester, Mass. to become the Manchester Monarchs, while the Monarchs move to Ontario, Cali. to become the AHL Ontario Reign.

I assume the affiliations are unchanged, but who knows.

The LA Kings owned the Reign. Probably with so much team movement many ECHL affiliations will change.

lighthouses

Jan 12, 2014
Will this spell the demise of NHL hockey in Winnipeg?

- People cancelling Jets tickets in favour of the Moose games?

- Those desiring to be an attendee at the MTS Centre have their demand met?

- Less interest in the Jets overall as only so many dollars and hours in the day to go around?

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Will this spell the demise of NHL hockey in Winnipeg?

- People cancelling Jets tickets in favour of the Moose games?

- Those desiring to be an attendee at the MTS Centre have their demand met?

- Less interest in the Jets overall as only so many dollars and hours in the day to go around?
Lol, can't tell if you're serious or trolling.

There is no way that interest in the Jets dwindles. We just made the playoffs for the first time since being back, the team is on looking up, we are competitive in the hardest division.

Sorry but I don't think having the Moose back impacts the Jets in the slightest bit.

What is does do is allow families who cannot afford to go to Jets games attend semi-pro hockey games. They get to see some of the future players of the pro team in person for a fraction of the cost as an NHL game.

I'm debating on picking up a couple season tickets to give away to friends/family who want to take in an AHL game or two.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
At the Lie-brary. Seriously, it is $15 to park at the library. It's $13 at one of the lots on Donald. That's $13 for outdoors.

And $8 at Winnipeg Square, or $3 across Main street at the lots near the MTS and Federal government towers.

Anyone who actually pays $15 to park shouldn't complain as there are many cheaper options connected to the tunnel system. Also, it's easy to exit from a traffic standpoint from the cheaper lots versus the more expensive spots.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
You do know this is temporary, right? Just until they can get the arena in Ontario finished up and move the team there.

The Thunder Bay arena project is dead and buried.

This may or may not be a temporary home for the team, but not because TNSE has a secret plan to move the team again. I think at this point they'd be quite happy for the Moose to stay and be successful in Winnipeg.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
And $8 at Winnipeg Square, or $3 across Main street at the lots near the MTS and Federal government towers.

Anyone who actually pays $15 to park shouldn't complain as there are many cheaper options connected to the tunnel system. Also, it's easy to exit from a traffic standpoint from the cheaper lots versus the more expensive spots.

I think it's $10 at Winnipeg Square. They got tired of handing out toonies.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I think the jerseys look pretty sharp actually. I think it makes sense to keep the Jets colours as equipment can be traded off for callups (gloves, pants, etc)

I might've altered the striping slightly to make it someone different and one thing about the logo placement is that it looks to low on the Jersey (more noticeable on the white one). Talking about the jerseys Lipon and Kosmachuk were wearing.

I did notice that there is a little Reebok text logo right under the collar that may be pushing the logo down and wonder on the official jersey if this will be changed as these may just be prototypes. Never saw this on other AHL jerseys. Overall I think they look okay.

Not sure why people assume this is a temporary thing. It will depend on how this goes of course but I feel it could work. The pricing is very convenient.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The Thunder Bay arena project is dead and buried.

This may or may not be a temporary home for the team, but not because TNSE has a secret plan to move the team again. I think at this point they'd be quite happy for the Moose to stay and be successful in Winnipeg.

Agreed.

The league average attendance for the AHL is 5.5K. Even if the Moose are under that (which I personally don't think will happen), I have to wonder if people really think there is some 8-10K a game guaranteed city out there for this team to move to?

And even then, the question to be answered is, how many more tickets in this hypothetical market would need to be sold above and beyond what are sold in Winnipeg, to make up for all the other cost savings and synergies to having the team in Winnipeg? Still haven't seen anyone answer that yet.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
It's Owetario that's dead and buried. They are in worse shape than Manitoba. I see us re-electing the NDP and building a new $400 million NHL arena on the former to be Hudson Bay downtown store. It's more merciful than dividing it into two parts.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I think it's $10 at Winnipeg Square. They got tired of handing out toonies.

It was $10 for the playoff games, but the last regular season game against Calgary was still $8 I think. Almost every parkade had a higher price for playoffs so not sure if the $2 increase is permanent yet or not.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
They elected to have a crazy looking Moose over a few extra sets on gloves, pants, and helmets? Who are these guys? And how come they re rich and I'm poor?

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Agreed.

The league average attendance for the AHL is 5.5K. Even if the Moose are under that (which I personally don't think will happen), I have to wonder if people really think there is some 8-10K a game guaranteed city out there for this team to move to?

And even then, the question to be answered is, how many more tickets in this hypothetical market would need to be sold above and beyond what are sold in Winnipeg, to make up for all the other cost savings and synergies to having the team in Winnipeg? Still haven't seen anyone answer that yet.

My guess is they need to be around league averages to make it viable, so your 5,500 attendance at average prices (it sounds like the current pricing is average) should be sufficient. The old Moose were in a different economic situation when they were the anchor tenant for the building and most of the hockey infrastructure was for one team. TN definitely has a lot of cost-sharing opportunities between the two clubs from hockey operations.

The old Moose led both attendance and pricing for the AHL, and it's clear that they no longer require that for this to be viable.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Agreed.

Chipman acknowledged on 1290 that they wouldn't need the same attendance as last time to be successful. He just said they'd need "a few thousand" in attendance to make it work. I'm sure he knows exactly how many, but doubt they'd share. My guess is if they get an average of 4-5000, they'd be fine. Tons of cost savings being in the same arena as the Jets.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I think the jerseys look pretty sharp actually. I think it makes sense to keep the Jets colours as equipment can be traded off for callups (gloves, pants, etc)

I might've altered the striping slightly to make it someone different and one thing about the logo placement is that it looks to low on the Jersey (more noticeable on the white one). Talking about the jerseys Lipon and Kosmachuk were wearing.

That's where the AHL jersey ads go.

Just imagine the Toyota symbol above the logo and to the left.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
This is awesome.

And for those of you describing the whole affair as lame, let me ask you this. Do TNSE strike anybody as a "lame" organization? Yeah, that's what I thought. True North has been working on this for a year, if not longer, and there are good reasons why the name is still Moose, why the colour scheme is the same as the parent club, and why there is a decrease in ticket prices from previous years. I'll bet TNSE contacted previous ticket holders and corporate sponsors and gave serious consideration to the information gleaned before making any decisions, and did it on the sly and very quietly put everything together for today.

I worked for this organization for a decade. I have first hand knowledge of how the team was operated - they treated the Moose like it was big business, and the Moose became one of the all time most popular and successful IHL/AHL franchises. We'll all have quibbles about how things are done by TNSE, but overall, the Jets are one of the best run professional sports teams in the biz.

And if you're complaining about ticket pricing, parking costs, food and beverage outlays at games, remember, this is the cost to have a NHL franchise. You want a team to support, you're going to have to pay the current market pricing; it's the only way we keep a team that can compete. And while they don't need the Moose to be as profitable as in the past, I'm sure the team needs to make sense from a business standpoint of helping out the big club or it will eventually be relocated.

Personally, I'm looking forward to several Moose games each year to see the prospects in action, and I will be buying both a home and an away jersey.

Go, Moose, Go!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
You do know this is temporary, right? Just until they can get the arena in Ontario finished up and move the team there.

Thunder Bay lost the federal funding they were asking for to build the new facility. The Feds said they will not give any money to anyone trying to build a facility for a professional hockey team.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Moose attendance averages from 2001-2011:

2001-02: 7,043
2002-03: 7,037
2003-04: 6,914
2004-05: 8,626
2005-06: 8,079
2006-07: 7,769
2007-08: 7,807
2008-09: 7,769
2009-10: 8,066
2010-11: 8,404

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
The colour scheme with that logo is atrocious. Really it's inconsequential because it isnt going to stop me from going to games but those jerseys are "beer league" calibre.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Moose attendance averages from 2001-2011:

2001-02: 7,043
2002-03: 7,037
2003-04: 6,914
2004-05: 8,626
2005-06: 8,079
2006-07: 7,769
2007-08: 7,807
2008-09: 7,769
2009-10: 8,066
2010-11: 8,404

It will be slightly lower this time around IMO. Back then the Moose were the only game in town so they got a lot of support. Just me, but I would see them maybe getting into the 4000-5000 range.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It will be slightly lower this time around IMO. Back then the Moose were the only game in town so they got a lot of support. Just me, but I would see them maybe getting into the 4000-5000 range.

i think itll be similar to the 7-8000.

these players will be future generation jets players i think many winnipeggers, myself included, want to see what the jets might potentially look like in a few years (at a reasonable price $$ lol) and to me the AHL is more popular now than back then, but thats just my $0.02

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
As long as the NHL Jets remain competitive, I honestly think this arrangement can work long term. I would be far more interested in watching future Jets prospects, than attending the 1996-2011 Moose, which I could never really get into, knowing the good players would be playing for the hated Canucks.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
This is awesome.

And for those of you describing the whole affair as lame, let me ask you this. Do TNSE strike anybody as a "lame" organization? Yeah, that's what I thought. True North has been working on this for a year, if not longer, and there are good reasons why the name is still Moose, why the colour scheme is the same as the parent club, and why there is a decrease in ticket prices from previous years. I'll bet TNSE contacted previous ticket holders and corporate sponsors and gave serious consideration to the information gleaned before making any decisions, and did it on the sly and very quietly put everything together for today.

I worked for this organization for a decade. I have first hand knowledge of how the team was operated - they treated the Moose like it was big business, and the Moose became one of the all time most popular and successful IHL/AHL franchises. We'll all have quibbles about how things are done by TNSE, but overall, the Jets are one of the best run professional sports teams in the biz.

And if you're complaining about ticket pricing, parking costs, food and beverage outlays at games, remember, this is the cost to have a NHL franchise. You want a team to support, you're going to have to pay the current market pricing; it's the only way we keep a team that can compete. And while they don't need the Moose to be as profitable as in the past, I'm sure the team needs to make sense from a business standpoint of helping out the big club or it will eventually be relocated.

Personally, I'm looking forward to several Moose games each year to see the prospects in action, and I will be buying both a home and an away jersey.

Go, Moose, Go!

Old man got cranky :sarcasm:

Just kidding. I'm good with pretty much everything. Frankly, I think the whole process was based off minimizing the impact to Mick E. Moose. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad