Manitoba Moose 2.0: AHL in Winnipeg 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
From Tim Campbell, WFP:

"There's a strong chance the Winnipeg Jets will move their AHL affiliate to the MTS Centre this fall for the 2015-16 hockey season."

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
That'd be awesome for watching our prospects live. Especially with the awesome batch of them looking to turn pro next season.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Beyond having your minor league players in town for a quick call up, you'd figure TNSE wouldn't mind the added local revenue either.

MTS Centre is busy as-it-is, but co-locating the AHL team guarantees a busy home every single night.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The cost savings will be significant. Besides airfares etc, the team won't necessarily need to carry 23 players on the roster all the time. It's an advantage eastern teams have had for some time.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Beyond having your minor league players in town for a quick call up, you'd figure TNSE wouldn't mind the added local revenue either.

MTS Centre is busy as-it-is, but co-locating the AHL team guarantees a busy home every single night.

Because of how out of the way St. John's is, most teams play half of their season series in one go there. It makes for a lot of hockey in one short time. I wonder if the impact will be any different here. The Oil Kings play out of Rexall Place, so I wonder if an AHL franchise can manage the same type of scheduling with an NHL franchise.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That'd be awesome for watching our prospects live. Especially with the awesome batch of them looking to turn pro next season.

Petan, Morrissey, Kosmachuk, Copp, Armia, Hellebuyck, Comrie, ... yes, please.

(Copp gets to room with best buddy Trouba - might entice him to go pro next year).

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
I just got up and saw this. If this happens, I'd be delighted. While I'd be sad to see the boys go, keeping AHL hockey here would be great.

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
I think Montreal is about as good a fit as you can get for St. John's. Many flights daily, albeit connecting in HFX.

I remember cheering for the Soviet Red Army when they played the Habs in 1975, but if their AHL team is here its go Habs Go!!

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Proximity of callups is a huge deal, but true north knows this will cost them money overall. I 8magine there's some cost savings by eliminating staff duplication, but I doubt they let many people go. Teams like Toronto or Chicago are notorious for sending players down when the NHL team has a 3 day break. Saving every penny they can and extending waiver exemptions as long as possible.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Interesting. I'm concerned that a second team will be a bit too much hockey to sell to Peggers long term. There are very few markets our size that support two pro teams. On the other hand, CGY, EDM, and OTT are similar size and have junior teams, so I suppose it is feasible.

Logistical advantages aside, I'd guess that most hockey fans in this city would rather have a junior team than an AHL team.

Finally, I hope season ticket holders wouldn't eventually get forced to buy AHL tickets as part of our NHL season ticket package...

Derfel*

Wow - if the Bulldogs move out of Hamilton, that'll be a huge blow to that city. I'm pretty sure they do well there.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
That would be great to see Hellebuyck play for the Jets someday and Pavelec for the Moose...cant wait

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Proximity of callups is a huge deal, but true north knows this will cost them money overall. I 8magine there's some cost savings by eliminating staff duplication, but I doubt they let many people go. Teams like Toronto or Chicago are notorious for sending players down when the NHL team has a 3 day break. Saving every penny they can and extending waiver exemptions as long as possible.

If anything True North will have to add staff. They have been outright leasing the team to the operators in St. John's. Other than the coaching staff, there's not much True North involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad