Manitoba Moose 2.0: AHL in Winnipeg 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
"I'll just re-do the Moose logo in Jets colours and put it on a Jets jersey" he said, "it'll look great" he said.

3dUckMf.png

I've created a monster.

Red eyes are disturbing.

Guilty Party

Healthy Scratch 4lyfe
Jan 28, 2013
ThunderBay
Wondering about future locations for the team. It sounds like Thunder Bay is having a really hard time getting their **** together for that new arena.

I think it would be great if they could get a team set up in Fargo.

Yep. I think we're currently looking for loopholes to get gov't funding or an alternate plan to get this thing done. :help:
Not to mention the city is also dropping the hammer by increasing taxes almost double to what it was raised last year.
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/editorial/daily_editorial/2015-03-03/smaller-event-centre

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Can't imagine they do well at home while the Jets are on tv on the road...

That's why they make DVRs. Watch the Jets game in one hour and 10 minutes. Or watch the 2am replay. 3am tonight. Oh wait, the game is on CBC.

I agree with you though. Moose might not have the 7200 fans each night. They might still succeed dollar wise.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I don't see this as a long term thing, I suspect this is just a stop-gap for the Ice Caps on the way to Thunder Bay.

The cool thing is, it will show what Wpg's appetite is for even more hockey, and could give us an idea of the support that a WHL team might have.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't see this as a long term thing, I suspect this is just a stop-gap for the Ice Caps on the way to Thunder Bay.

The cool thing is, it will show what Wpg's appetite is for even more hockey, and could give us an idea of the support that a WHL team might have.

I don't think TNSE intends for it to be more than a stop gap measure.
The situation in St. John's is untenable, so until an alternative can be found the team will play out of Winnipeg.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
One of the ugliest sports jerseys in the world.

I would be OK with the Moose name if they adopted the Jets jersey as the base, and maybe put a airmans helmet/ goggles on the Moose.

I'd much rather they stay the Ice Caps, though.

I thought those jerseys were awesome.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
I wouldn't call Calgary, Edm and Ott similar in size to Winnipeg. They are among the next smallest markets but all are substantially bigger than Winnipeg. 710k<1000k<1100k<1250k approximately. If we extend the drawing area beyond the cities the difference only becomes greater. But I agree that it might be feasible.

I can't see any chance of that happening. The Moose (could it be anything else?) STH might get integrated with the Jets waiting list in some way but that is as far as that could go.

I agree. I was trying to be generous. I think two pro teams stretches the Winnipeg market beyond what it could handle. If proximity is an issue, why not Regina, Saskatoon, grand forks, Fargo, or Thunder Bay? All except the last one have AHL-suitable arenas.

snowmobile

Jan 23, 2015
I agree. I was trying to be generous. I think two pro teams stretches the Winnipeg market beyond what it could handle. If proximity is an issue, why not Regina, Saskatoon, grand forks, Fargo, or Thunder Bay? All except the last one have AHL-suitable arenas.

Maybe because they all have their own hockey teams and they don't give two iotas about the jets

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Except most of their excellent prospects are in the CHL and NCAA. While it seems likely most will start their pro careers in the AHL, I wouldn't expect the best of them to stay very long before they make the jump to the NHL.

I have the expectation that it can't be harder for Chevy to maintain the pipeline than it was to build it. For me the expectaion is that it will continue to have a new batch of exciting, well-chosen prospects with every new year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Of those I think Grand Forks is too small and Thunder Bay still has some of the same problems as St John's. That is transportation is poor plus having very little surrounding area population it is barely big enough. I think Regina and Saskatoon are just about ideal candidates. Their having WHL teams might be a problem but I think they can support both. If not then move the WHL team to Winnipeg. Winnipeg may not be able to support 2 pro teams but it could certainly support a WHL team in addition to the Jets. They appeal to different markets.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
does mlse hold the icecaps name or st johns? pretty sure its the latter but might as well ask

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
I think Kansas City is a place that could be a good landing spot, if Winnipeg is not the long term solution. New arena and a place that doesn't have a lot of hockey right now, but seems to want it.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
One of the ugliest sports jerseys in the world.

I would be OK with the Moose name if they adopted the Jets jersey as the base, and maybe put a airmans helmet/ goggles on the Moose.

I'd much rather they stay the Ice Caps, though.

I'd suggest naming the returning Winnipeg AHL team the Blue Bombers just to p*** off the minor league football Blue Bombers. You know the newly Sip minted AHL Blue Bombers won't be a gong show like the CFL version!;)

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I am happy that St. John's will continue to have AHL hockey as they have supported our farm team so well.

I'm not sure how the AHL will fly here, but, having both teams in the city would help save money on player travel.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Kansas City is a place that could be a good landing spot, if Winnipeg is not the long term solution. New arena and a place that doesn't have a lot of hockey right now, but seems to want it.

A possibility. Wonder if TNSE would be willing to operate a team in KC or if they'd want to sell/have someone else operate the franchise for them like St. John's.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Building lease. The chances of a minor pro hockey team playing in Saskatoon are minuscule.

I don't see where that comes from. It means there is another party who needs to be satisfied. So negotiation takes place. That party is given something to make him like the deal. Nothing is ever as simple as to just fall in your lap complete and perfect. You have to do something to make it work. If the community really didn't want it that would be a deal breaker. Anything else can be overcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad