Manitoba Moose 2.0: AHL in Winnipeg 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting. I'm concerned that a second team will be a bit too much hockey to sell to Peggers long term. There are very few markets our size that support two pro teams. On the other hand, CGY, EDM, and OTT are similar size and have junior teams, so I suppose it is feasible.

Logistical advantages aside, I'd guess that most hockey fans in this city would rather have a junior team than an AHL team.

Finally, I hope season ticket holders wouldn't eventually get forced to buy AHL tickets as part of our NHL season ticket package...

This better not happen. I might be able to catch the odd AHL game to check out the prospects, but in no way as a ST to I want to buy a slate of AHL games. No time for much additional hockey after the Jets, work and family commitments.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Don't know...just don't know...

If it's for a year or two as a stopgap until they find a home somewhere else, fine. But if you try to put the AHL in Winnipeg full time, then that's just not a good idea IMO.

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
This is absolutely HUGE for the Jets, Chipman and for Winnipeg AKAIAC.

First of all, imagine the downtown area with something happening every single night. The ripple effect is hard to fathom!

The hotel that Chipman might build if he and Bowman can get together again would have so many more potential visitors.

Chevy is guaranteed a contract until 2050 as long as he can always give us the best prospects in the NHL.;) Because, friends, as a non ST holder, if I have to choose between the Jets and their current excellent prospects, I wouldn't always choose the Jets.

And everyone becomes an armchair coach all of a sudden. If we can see the baby Jets under our noses, we will always be telling Chevy or PoMo who should be up with the big team or not.

Negatively though, maybe TV blackouts are back in a concerted effort to fill the arena every night. Maybe the teams start to play roster games to keep the arena filled for the revenue rather than to ice the best product.

Nevertheless, near-term, I think this would be the best move TN can make going forward.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
it was likely done to cut down on mascot costs.
Mick E Moose will be pulling in double shifts.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The jerseys will likely be in Jets colours. The AHL wears white at home.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
For those who don't know the Moose were a professional hockey team in Winnipeg prior to 2011 that none of you cared about.

:sarcasm:

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
That would be great so I can go cheer for the AHL Moose and maybe try to catch a couple NHL Jets games.. I wonder if TSN Jets will air some Moose games in between Jets games to fill some times?? Would be wonderful for sure.. still got my Moose jersey as well as my Jets jersey hehe..

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This is absolutely HUGE for the Jets, Chipman and for Winnipeg AKAIAC.

First of all, imagine the downtown area with something happening every single night. The ripple effect is hard to fathom!

The hotel that Chipman might build if he and Bowman can get together again would have so many more potential visitors.

Chevy is guaranteed a contract until 2050 as long as he can always give us the best prospects in the NHL.;) Because, friends, as a non ST holder, if I have to choose between the Jets and their current excellent prospects, I wouldn't always choose the Jets.

And everyone becomes an armchair coach all of a sudden. If we can see the baby Jets under our noses, we will always be telling Chevy or PoMo who should be up with the big team or not.

Negatively though, maybe TV blackouts are back in a concerted effort to fill the arena every night. Maybe the teams start to play roster games to keep the arena filled for the revenue rather than to ice the best product.

Nevertheless, near-term, I think this would be the best move TN can make going forward.

Except most of their excellent prospects are in the CHL and NCAA. While it seems likely most will start their pro careers in the AHL, I wouldn't expect the best of them to stay very long before they make the jump to the NHL.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Gotta Be Moose: with the angry moose jerseys.

Those were so cool.

nov2607_moran01_b.jpg

Colours shouldn't be a problem because they were like this while playing for the Canucks.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
One of the ugliest sports jerseys in the world.

I would be OK with the Moose name if they adopted the Jets jersey as the base, and maybe put a airmans helmet/ goggles on the Moose.

I'd much rather they stay the Ice Caps, though.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Interesting, so the Jets and Sharks will both have their affiliates playing in the same arena as their parent club next season.

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport
Can you imagine the goaltender thread if we got to see Hellebuyck in person?

Can't imagine they do well at home while the Jets are on tv on the road...

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Wondering about future locations for the team. It sounds like Thunder Bay is having a really hard time getting their **** together for that new arena.

I think it would be great if they could get a team set up in Fargo.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Wondering about future locations for the team. It sounds like Thunder Bay is having a really hard time getting their **** together for that new arena.

Fargo would be great. 4 hours away for call ups, 4 hours to go watch the farm team around a shopping trip.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Interesting. I'm concerned that a second team will be a bit too much hockey to sell to Peggers long term. There are very few markets our size that support two pro teams. On the other hand, CGY, EDM, and OTT are similar size and have junior teams, so I suppose it is feasible.

Logistical advantages aside, I'd guess that most hockey fans in this city would rather have a junior team than an AHL team.

Finally, I hope season ticket holders wouldn't eventually get forced to buy AHL tickets as part of our NHL season ticket package...

I wouldn't call Calgary, Edm and Ott similar in size to Winnipeg. They are among the next smallest markets but all are substantially bigger than Winnipeg. 710k<1000k<1100k<1250k approximately. If we extend the drawing area beyond the cities the difference only becomes greater. But I agree that it might be feasible.

This better not happen. I might be able to catch the odd AHL game to check out the prospects, but in no way as a ST to I want to buy a slate of AHL games. No time for much additional hockey after the Jets, work and family commitments.

I can't see any chance of that happening. The Moose (could it be anything else?) STH might get integrated with the Jets waiting list in some way but that is as far as that could go.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Both markets dominated by college or junior teams, which pretty much goes for any AHL-sized market in the region. I'm betting they end up somewhere completely out of the blue, likely in the United States, hopefully in the same timezone or at least one to the west of us.

Rapid City has a team in the ECHL that draws over 4000 per game. Maybe the Jets lobby for that franchise to get the bump to the AHL as part of the western expansion, or lease the AHL franchise they own to the operators of the current ECHL franchise. Relatively easy to get flights to Denver, MSP, Chicago and Dallas from there, would be about the same situation as Thunder Bay in terms of getting call-ups to the team, although it's obviously easier to get flights from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg. Travel wouldn't be horrible for the AHL team.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
"I'll just re-do the Moose logo in Jets colours and put it on a Jets jersey" he said, "it'll look great" he said.

3dUckMf.png

I've created a monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad