Managerial Thread Part V - Tottenham in Tatters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
To get Sancho going he needs a good fullback behind him. The problem is AWB is garbage and Sancho/Shaw hasn’t worked because Sancho isn’t nearly as good on the left (yet). Also, where are the minutes?

This doesn’t mean Sancho is a full on bust, but I don’t think it’ll be as simple as flipping a switch.

A good fullback helps, but last season he was effective with Meunier/Morey.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I guess Carrick would be the interim according to The Guardian.

What's so frustrating is they've had the whole 2 weeks of the international break to form a short-list of candidates to replace the manager whose job was hanging by a thread.......now he's gone and it appears they have no clue who to replace him with.

Doubly frustrating that we missed out on Conte because the Glazers didn't want to hire a manager who isn't a yes man.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Found this interesting:

Michael Carrick will now take charge of the team for forthcoming games, while the club looks to appoint an interim manager to the end of the season.

Sounds like they aren't happy with the options available.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'd have trouble believing Blanc would reject them.
Except if they told him it was for 6 months.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
That job requires someone who will come in and not be afraid to chop heads. Install a system you want to play and let them sink or swim, detect weak spots, filter out those who do not fit and start from there. There's no magic solution that will turn them around quickly.

If the board was smart they'd go after the entire Ajax footballing operation, but they'll never do that because they want to pull the strings.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Let's not kid ourselves, a lot of good coaches would take up the chance to manage United. There just aren't many available.
Yup, they have financial freedom and the clout for any manager. The real issue is who's left without a job that's a viable option? An interim makes sense see how the winter and summer windows shake out. The usual suspects might be open to a move then.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Should have happened after the Liverpool massacre.

Just punt the season and see what you have in some of the bench options to either build their transfer value or see if they're worth keeping, I guess?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
pretty much every manager in the world will go there. even when ur a nothing manager who fails u get a 7.5m payoff on top of what was already earned.

The issue is that for top managers, their reputation is worth more than a 7.5M payoff. Who wants to be exposed like Mourinho and get stuck working for clubs like Tottenham & Rome when previously you've worked at the Chelsea's & Real's of the world?

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'll be mad if Utd get Blanc, I'm still holding out hope we replace Arteta with him, even though it feels like a long-shot at this point

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Blanc as the interim would be fantastic. He has shown the ability to be capable of managing at this level and even if he doesn’t end up being the long term guy I think going hard after Ten Hag is the move. Or Poch if he leaves after the season is over.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
pretty much every manager in the world will go there. even when ur a nothing manager who fails u get a 7.5m payoff on top of what was already earned.
If you don't care about potentially ruining your career sure. Talk about being shortsighted.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
If you don't care about potentially ruining your career sure. Talk about being shortsighted.
Almost every top manager gets sacked these days. Mourinhos been sacked at every club, klopp and tuchel, all the top Italian managers basically rotated amongst the big clubs.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Almost every top manager gets sacked these days. Mourinhos been sacked at every club, klopp and tuchel, all the top Italian managers basically rotated amongst the big clubs.
Mou had his career washed down the toilet because of United to a degree. You're going to bring up Klopp to support your narrative? How is Tuchel's previous employer similar to United? Conte now manages Tottenham because he's tough to get along with etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad