Managerial Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The pat on the back Levy got hiring Mourinho?

Any manager that can make Doherty look decent is a genius in my opinion.

If Leicester end up outside of CL I would expect to push hard for Rodgers.

I don't mind any of the ones linked - except Martinez of course. But even if they go for him I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Wasn't exactly obvious that Flick would make BM amazing either etc.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Bringing in a DoF is most important. Should've happened way earlier.

Comolli available?

I'm not sure why so many English fans (it seems) are almost "obsessed" with a DoF? I think it is proven by now that having a DoF doesn't mean any more stability or long term thinking.

Not that I'm against a DoF, but for me it comes more down to having a robust scouting network/system. If that is led by a DoF or a head scout I don't really care that much about. As an example Pochettino was complaining that he wasn't the manager, but "just" the head coach. So key there is to have a structure where different elements within the club are working well together. A manager or head coach cannot know about every Dele Alli around the same way when you got a DoF that doesn't work with the manager you end up with Kevin Prince Boateng as a DM.

Scouting at Spurs has quite frankly been abysmal the last 5 years or so. Not a single good value player - except Højbjrg (from the top of my head) has been brought in. And quite a few have been just utter rubbish. I don't blame Pochettino for that and not Mourinho that much either even if he has to take responsibility for Doherty. Whatever manager Spurs bring in he needs to be supplied with better players. I guess that might be where you are coming from and I completely agree. We could hire some incredible genius being some sort of hybrid between Ferguson and Klopp and he would still need to get fed over time better players than Spurs have managed those last years.

By the way not saying all players bought are poor players. Lo Celso, Bergwijn and Ndombele are clearly good players, but not fantastic value for money.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Would Ten Hag want that job?

I think Potter would. It's a step up in prestige, and there are some parts he could work with. I think Ten Hag could have a better job than Spurs (who will be without CL / Europa, losing their best player is likely), and I think they're a rebuild more than a reshuffle and get back in the mix.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Would Ten Hag want that job?

I think Potter would. It's a step up in prestige, and there are some parts he could work with. I think Ten Hag could have a better job than Spurs (who will be without CL / Europa, losing their best player is likely), and I think they're a rebuild more than a reshuffle and get back in the mix.

There is no doubt that Spurs are in a bit of a "rot" right now, but they are still among the top 10 richest clubs in the world, plays in the PL, based on London, got a fantastic stadium and world class training facility. You only got so many shots at a job like that - regardless of how 21/22 looks.

Not sure if selling Kane would be a discouragement at all. Why wouldn't a new manager want 200m to shape his own team with? I think the Spurs job would be less attractive if you are being told Kane stays, but you got to go along with players like Dier, Sanchez, Aurier, Doherty, Reguilon etc. being your defense.

Not to say that I think it is a given ten Hag would move to Spurs if he got offered the job. So many things that might influence someone's decision making on these kind of things. Might even be having kids that would rather finish school in one country, a special connection at Ajax or as you say first thinking Ajax will be more interesting in 21/22 than Spurs - while he might also think maybe a bigger team like Spurs would be a possibility if he does well with Ajax again. However, I do believe, without knowing much about his personality, that he would join if Spurs pushed hard for him. That is also the thing with these kind of things. A manager would like to know (or get the feeling) that he is the main man. Leaving Ajax to get sacked after 27 games would obviously be a waste.

I see Pochettino getting more and more popular among the bookmakers. He has suddenly become the big favourite for the job. I wanted him gone when he left, but I wouldn't mind him coming back. Maybe a bit early though - I was thinking 5-10 years down the line.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I can't see PSG dumping Poch right now. Would make zero sense.
And I'd be surprised to see him asking to leave to join Spurs too.

Frankly, I have no idea how that rumor has any legs :dunno:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He is an emotional character - a bit of a romantic. But I agree - highly unlikely.

The last couple of weeks someone like S. Inzaghi has been the favourite among bookmakers. Others like Sarri have been among the favourites. I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it - even if the odds are likely to be more "realistic" now than they were some weeks ago.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Inzaghi is actually a good idea.

Poch is also very romantic when it comes to Paris. He captained the team as a player.

Reactions: luiginb

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Sure. I wasn't saying that would mean he would go back to Spurs, but that part of his character means he might make some decisions that seem a bit odd from the outside. I mean his hero is Bielsa.

Without that "romantic" element in his personality I don't think there is a chance in #"%%"%" that someone replaces PSG with Spurs now (unless he is for some reason sacked - which I wouldn't expect either).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
That Spurs job is a tough one to figure out who would want it. It's in the EPL, and it's still a prestige job. But it needs a lot of work.

I think they have to go with someone who's on the up, and can do some overhauling. They're definitely in rebuild and retool mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad