Managerial Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Contrary to what the US soccer media write, Marsch is not the favorite for the RBL job, of course that doesn’t mean he won’t get the job but it appears Glasner is their priority now

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

385t4l.jpg

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't watch Ajax play in the Dutch league. So I'm hardly an expert on ten Hag, but from what I have seen I wouldn't mind that. Even if it is clear that semi final team had some exceptionally good players in it - it still look very well coached.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Juve is right to take Allegri back, in the situation they are in is the best move to make. Always if he agrees to return.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't watch many Serie A games, but Juventus always looked well coached to me in the CL under Allegri.

Not that I want him at Spurs. I would take him for his ability, but I just want to see Spurs attack again - even if it is Tim Sherwood style.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Ajax play good stuff and they've had some European success, but it would be a transition for Ten Hag to not be 99% likely to win just for stepping on the pitch like he is in the Netherlands.

The question is really how much they spend and who they offload.

Also...

United? Too corporate. Liverpool? Jusssssttttt right. Klopp is the populist goldilocks over here.

Tottenham was in a CL final not too long ago, no idea where this "legitimacy" and "identity" thing is coming from. Those are just buzzwords. Breaking into the top 4 year in year out is hard and two of the so-called big 6 miss out every year. This year it might be Liverpool.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Spurs are not big enough to pick a big league winner anyway. And not sure how many of those you really got? How many managers are moving from being successful in one league to the other? Or even among clubs? Guardiola of course. Not coming to Spurs - and who knows how he would do at a normal club. I guess Conte falls into that category. I struggle to find many more. When PSG hired Pochettino there weren't a million other top managers with a pedigree of being serial winners to choose from.

So you take a stab at someone who has been successful in a smaller league or club. With ten Hag I think he has proven in Europe that he can manage a team that will not just dominate the opposition and still be successful - even if they haven't been fantastic in Europe since that CL-run. And he has been successful at home. Before ten Hag Ajax hadn't won the league since 13/14. So even if they are the biggest club in Holland they aren't without some solid competition.

I have no clue who would be the best choice for Spurs. ten Hag, Blanc or any of the others mentioned in this thread. But ten Hag would be the kind of profile you would look at. Blanc strangely enough is a serial winner - even if it is just in France - and still can't really get a look anywhere. Really odd. Especially since he had a fantastic playing career and got experience from all the big leagues from back then.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Juve is right to take Allegri back, in the situation they are in is the best move to make. Always if he agrees to return.

Obviously, he's a better choice than Pirlo at this point, but still, it doesn't mean we should want him back. Might as well finish the season with Pirlo, let him go and look at all options, foreign ones included.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They should give him the US NT.

He's smart enough to not do it. At the risk of making someone angry we don't have enough good players yet for someone to want to do that and he's a smart guy. He also actually took the time to learn German and we know how much the average American hates to learn other languages so I'm not sure he would give this up either.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
A bit odd extending it for 1 year, but I guess he is not the new Spurs manager then.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ajax play good stuff and they've had some European success, but it would be a transition for Ten Hag to not be 99% likely to win just for stepping on the pitch like he is in the Netherlands.

The question is really how much they spend and who they offload.

Also...

United? Too corporate. Liverpool? Jusssssttttt right. Klopp is the populist goldilocks over here.

Tottenham was in a CL final not too long ago, no idea where this "legitimacy" and "identity" thing is coming from. Those are just buzzwords. Breaking into the top 4 year in year out is hard and two of the so-called big 6 miss out every year. This year it might be Liverpool.
On the bolded, not saying that you are wrong, but this is paraphrased quote from Klopp’s book. (Honigstein) basically After Moyes United tried to get Klopp, and Ed Woodward’s sales pitch focused on comparing Utd/Old Trafford to ‘an adult version of Disney Land’ and the corporate nature of it. Klopp was not impressed and went back to Dortmund. Rest is history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad