Managerial Thread - 21/22 and 22/23 Seasons - Tottenham Hotlol

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Imagine being that young and that hyped just to go a job you do once every few months lol.

Being that young he has a long career ahead of him and he's already got one hell of a resume; so why rush into a bad job when you can keep your name in the mix for the jobs you would want, with a lighter workload?

Especially since he'd be taking over at a time where our young talent is on the upswing and just establishing itself...so he could get credit for the natural improvement that'll occur over the next couple cycles, regardless of any contributions he makes on top of that :dunno:

TBH I'm doubtful Flick goes anywhere, but if no better job avails itself by next summer and the Germany job does become available? Could make sense.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He would need at least a 4 year period with the NT will he be committed to such a project that was the result of lack of other opportunities? What if germany don’t bounce back? He would then have failed in back to back projects and sunk 4 years…. For all his promise he hasn’t won anything remotely impressive. The book is still out on him.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Yes he is for a team trying to ascend to the elite. No it wasn't better. And Nagelsmann's Leipzig was even better than Howe's Newcastle.

If not for Upamecano melting down for 30min, Bayern might've won the CL this season with Tuchel. Nevermind if they had held onto Nagelsmann.

People have forgotten how well he had Bayern playing because of the way they turned to s*** under TT.
By that line, they were a de Ligt save and two crossbars away from losing the tie to PSG. They were also already squandering their BL advantage under him.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Eddie Howe’s job is the second safest in England (only behind Pep). He’s not a sexy name and so people look and think “oh, Newcastle has money and someone who’s never coached on the continent” and so assume they’d wanna turf him. Nothing of the sort, he’s a bigger reason why they came 3rd last year than any of the signings.
One million percent agreed, but sometimes you gotta be ruthless and for how good Howe is and was last season, he ain't better than Nagelsmann.

Nagelsmann is waiting for RM to panic fire Ancelotti when things don't go well next season. IMO anyway.
I thought there were rumours that Ancelotti was going to step down at the end of the season?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
By that line, they were a de Ligt save and two crossbars away from losing the tie to PSG. They were also already squandering their BL advantage under him.

That's certainly fair they didn't have the same energy after the WM as before. But Bayern controlled a lot more of the City tie than PSG controlled of the Bayern tie. And if they had gotten past City they had a great chance to be the team celebrating a CL right now.
Nagelsmann is waiting for RM to panic fire Ancelotti when things don't go well next season. IMO anyway.

Yeah. I'm hoping he's spiteful enough for Eberl to convince him to come back to Leipzig, but this is what's actually happening.

He would need at least a 4 year period with the NT will he be committed to such a project that was the result of lack of other opportunities? What if germany don’t bounce back? He would then have failed in back to back projects and sunk 4 years…. For all his promise he hasn’t won anything remotely impressive. The book is still out on him.

Why would he need a 4 year period with the NT? Would a WM title not be enough? ;-)

And he'd only consider it if our young talent continues to develop. If the future doesn't look as bright a year from now, then the job would be a lot less interesting.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That's certainly fair they didn't have the same energy after the WM as before. But Bayern controlled a lot more of the City tie than PSG controlled of the Bayern tie. And if they had gotten past City they had a great chance to be the team celebrating a CL right now.
It's just a huge "if" as to whether they get by City, and most of that sits on a single player having an awful match versus any other factors. Tuchel set up that first leg basically the same way Nagelsmann finished against PSG except Sane and Gnabry for ECM and Müller, and then did it again in the second leg except for Cancelo and ECM for Gnabry and Davies. Same relative set-up, same tactical priorities, same level of possession, same overall lack of finished product for the possession/chances as they had under Nagelsmann. I suppose there's a scenario where Oops doesn't shit the bed in the 1st leg under Nagelsmann, but that's owing more to randomness/chance than anything else--he was playing the same role under both guys.

I'll also mention that I think a HUGE part of where Bayern was deficient under Nagelsmann is on Brazzo not getting an actual replacement at 9 and them having to rely on ECM being in-form and a gaggle of not-really-9s in the lineup. The same flaws in Bayern showed up last year (and maybe even the season before) but Lewandowski can cover up a lot of problems.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Yeah. I'm hoping he's spiteful enough for Eberl to convince him to come back to Leipzig, but this is what's actually happening.

Why would he need a 4 year period with the NT? Would a WM title not be enough? ;-)

And he'd only consider it if our young talent continues to develop. If the future doesn't look as bright a year from now, then the job would be a lot less interesting.

I was thinking the next cycle as in 4 years time but yeah if he takes over after euros, some how makes germany a world beater wins the WC then does a mic drop….seems u likely.

No deal damn not sure what it would take for Gallardo to say yes at this point.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think Arsenal is a much better job than Chelsea or Tottenham. Better than Tottenham because you are playing catch-up to the other two without the resources and the chairman is terrible. Better than Chelsea because you aren’t going to have any kind of continuity or commitment to you. Arsenal you kind of get the best of both. Liverpool going to need to go big if they hit the eject button on Klopp that’s certainly a better job than any of the London clubs, unless there is a big transfer kitty demand (which there certainly could be) but that could a part of the negotiation

I don't disagree, but I don't think it's entirely straight forward or there's one correct answer. I think Arsenal is an easy/lazy answer for this current moment, but there are many ways to look at it. Take Spurs for example. Not a great squad, but if you can keep Kane you can build on that. You've already got the stadium and training facilities in place too. Main thing though, if you're a skilled manager who is confident in your ability, you don't need to win anything to do well at Spurs. Finish in the top 4 for a couple of seasons in a row, some Cup runs or even a Cup win and you'll look as though you've done notably been better than your predecessors.

With Chelsea there's a lot of complexity there, but again a lot of quality in that squad. You get a season to really sort things out and logically finish top 4. Then how do you perform in Europe the next season? Easy to demonstrate growth and improvement at Chelsea right now without even winning anything.

Again though, Arsenal would be attractive. I just don't think there's a gulf between Arsenal and the other two if you're picking a job when you consider everything.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's just a huge "if" as to whether they get by City, and most of that sits on a single player having an awful match versus any other factors. Tuchel set up that first leg basically the same way Nagelsmann finished against PSG except Sane and Gnabry for ECM and Müller, and then did it again in the second leg except for Cancelo and ECM for Gnabry and Davies. Same relative set-up, same tactical priorities, same level of possession, same overall lack of finished product for the possession/chances as they had under Nagelsmann. I suppose there's a scenario where Oops doesn't shit the bed in the 1st leg under Nagelsmann, but that's owing more to randomness/chance than anything else--he was playing the same role under both guys.

I'll also mention that I think a HUGE part of where Bayern was deficient under Nagelsmann is on Brazzo not getting an actual replacement at 9 and them having to rely on ECM being in-form and a gaggle of not-really-9s in the lineup. The same flaws in Bayern showed up last year (and maybe even the season before) but Lewandowski can cover up a lot of problems.

Picking a similar team doesn't mean there wasn't a huge change for the worse when Tuchel took over. Not saying Bayern would've won if Nagelsmann had stayed in charge, but Bayern were a much better team under Julian...and individual performances can absolutely be the result of coaching even with similar general strategy/tactics. Musiala's performances fell off a cliff under TT, even compared to his post-WM form. Not saying the same was true of Upa's meltdown, but it could've been...and they did much better at taking their chances under JN than they did TT.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was thinking the next cycle as in 4 years time but yeah if he takes over after euros, some how makes germany a world beater wins the WC then does a mic drop….seems u likely.

Some of it depends on how he'd get the job. If Flick leads us to a medal next summer before leaving for a big club gig, then yeah it would be really hard for JN to shine in that role. But if Flick is fired because we go out early again, then just getting us to the semis would get JN even more hype.

And in 3 years making a run might not be unlikely at all with the upswing our youth work has been on looking like it could fill our biggest holes...while making our strengths even greater.

EDIT:
Schlotterbeck will be 25; Adeyemi, Schade, Knauff, Martel, Thiaw, ABK, Dardai, & Atubolu will be 23; Musiala, Wirtz, and Netz will be 22; while Mouki, Weiper, Bischof, & Raebiger will have turned 20, with Wanner just a few months away.

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Picking a similar team doesn't mean there wasn't a huge change for the worse when Tuchel took over. Not saying Bayern would've won if Nagelsmann had stayed in charge, but Bayern were a much better team under Julian...and individual performances can absolutely be the result of coaching even with similar general strategy/tactics. Musiala's performances fell off a cliff under TT, even compared to his post-WM form. Not saying the same was true of Upa's meltdown, but it could've been...and they did much better at taking their chances under JN than they did TT.
You want to persist with this line on Musiala but he had already fallen off a cliff after the WC under Nagelsmann. His further drop off under Tuchel is just as likely him being burned out with the amount of football he'd played this season as anything related to TT.

The results were better under Nagelsmann but their form had already started slipping (they were very mediocre, even when winning in league) and there were underlying issues already present (the issues with the midfield and lack of incisiveness in attacking being among them).

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You want to persist with this line on Musiala but he had already fallen off a cliff after the WC under Nagelsmann. His further drop off under Tuchel is just as likely him being burned out with the amount of football he'd played this season as anything related to TT.

The results were better under Nagelsmann but their form had already started slipping (they were very mediocre, even when winning in league) and there were underlying issues already present (the issues with the midfield and lack of incisiveness in attacking being among them).

It certainly could have been burn out...but with the way he looked against Ukraine and the way his #s dipped twice; once after the WM and again after the coaching change; I'm skeptical. Especially since the same pattern repeated with most players.

It also just matched what I saw.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It certainly could have been burn out...but with the way he looked against Ukraine and the way his #s dipped twice; once after the WM and again after the coaching change; I'm skeptical. Especially since the same pattern repeated with most players.

It also just matched what I saw.
Well, we wouldn't be the only fans in history to see different things while watching the same things. :laugh:

Reactions: cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Some very persistant rumors that Enrique is going to be PSG's coach.
While I rate him much higher than most here, he's still a downgrade from Nagelsmann.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Luis Enrique is weird. I don't think he's bad at all, but he was left behind by Madrid after the treble season and bombed out with Spain in big tournaments to Russia and Morocco.

But I think he's a good coach, I like his style. I think he'll be good for PSG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad