Managerial merry Go round part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

So this guy will be "head coach" at Anderlecht yet Kompany will decide who plays and what tactics they'll use :laugh:

I mean, for what it's worth, it's going to be hard to make all the changes to the side when he's going to have to play as many matches as his injured body will allow.

The football ramble had a funny quip, what happens if he gets sacked? Does he just show up and play as a player? Or is his contract done then as well?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Woops, wanted to post this here...

Martinez?

Bits at Swansea and Wigan were okay (eventually got relegated with Wigan, but won the FA Cup), but his Everton stint wasn't great after the first year.
Fans were against him in the end, his team played rather pedestrian football - and also displaying some fantastic levels of sh*ithousery to go with poor performances (poor tackles, injuring players, diving etc.).

I absolutely loathed Everton at the time. And it wasn't because they were beating us (that year we beat them away 3-2 and drew 1-1 at home - but they injured Payet in the process).

Also, while I don't think he did a bad job with Belgium, he sort of chickened out vs France.
At least we tried to create and run the play vs France, Martinez was sort of content to let the game go by and hope for an inspired move from his stars. And a team with Hazard, KDB, Lukaku, Martins, etc... Dunno man, I thought Belgium could've done better that game.

I cannot know right now, but I do think Barca might be a bit out of his league.
Messi is quiet, but far from easy to handle, especially concerning his BFF Suarez. Not sure how Martinez would handle the egos - and that's completely ignoring that I don't think he's a tactical genius either.

But hey, who knows, maybe he and Barca mesh perfectly and it works.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Actually, I'll go ahead and say this.

Without knowing which players Barcelona gets in the summer...
Without knowing which players Real gets in the summer (though I'm assuming Hazard and 1-2 more stars are a certainty)...

If Martinez manages Barca, I'm picking RM to win the La Liga.
That's how silly I think him managing Barca would be - the same way I said Lopetegui at RM was a colossal mistake.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Actually, I'll go ahead and say this.

Without knowing which players Barcelona gets in the summer...
Without knowing which players Real gets in the summer (though I'm assuming Hazard and 1-2 more stars are a certainty)...

If Martinez manages Barca, I'm picking RM to win the La Liga.
That's how silly I think him managing Barca would be - the same way I said Lopetegui at RM was a colossal mistake.

I mean, the trouble is who do Real buy.

Martinez isn't the worst manager, and he at least showed with Belgium he can find a way to put together top players. I also think the gulf between Barca and Real is a bit too much to get across without major spending still. Throw in Hazard, maybe something else up front, and it's a bit of a debate.

I guess what this all really says is that Fat Sam is one step away from his life dream of sitting in the dugout while managing Messi.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
My issue is similar to the concerns I have with Ole and United. Is that the best they can get? Is he really prepared to take over that club? I do think his experience with Belgium helps demonstrate some preparation that OGS doesn't quite have, but I still wonder a bit of whether or not there wasn't someone else out there better suited.

He does say the right things, plays somewhat the right style, genuflect's at the Cruyff school, so I guess it could work. I just would have wanted to see him cut it with a decent side before getting the keys to Barca.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
My friend is super happy if Martinez and Henry get hired. Mainly because he said Martinez is a Catalan and "went to Cruyff school" and Henry is a former player.
Funny. A guy I work with who is a huge Barca fan (from e be brgote the became a total juggernaut) just said to me thst he feels it’s in Messi’s personal best interest to leave club as it seems the decision makers there are on the cusp of wasting his final few prime years.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I mean, the trouble is who do Real buy.

Martinez isn't the worst manager, and he at least showed with Belgium he can find a way to put together top players. I also think the gulf between Barca and Real is a bit too much to get across without major spending still. Throw in Hazard, maybe something else up front, and it's a bit of a debate.

I guess what this all really says is that Fat Sam is one step away from his life dream of sitting in the dugout while managing Messi.

I think Hazard is almost certain to be in Madrid next season.
Jovic is still a big possibility, and I still wouldn't be surprised to see Pogba move there as well.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Funny. A guy I work with who is a huge Barca fan (from e be brgote the became a total juggernaut) just said to me thst he feels it’s in Messi’s personal best interest to leave club as it seems the decision makers there are on the cusp of wasting his final few prime years.

Haha

My friend would never want to see Messi leave. He even said he would turn gay for him and find a way to have his babies. To him, Messi is a God and it's all Higuain's fault he hasn't done well with Argentina. During the latest World Cup I asked him "Is it Higuain's fault Messi missed a pk?" He didn't speak to me for about a week. I am telling you Messi fans are something else.

Reactions: koyvoo

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, if Martinez is bad, they'll whack him promptly. They're smart enough to realize they only have a couple of seasons where they can ride the Messi train. When you have the GOAT, you don't burn those years with incompetency, if you have anyone with any idea of the plot running the show.

There's enough smart people in the organization to know that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think Hazard is almost certain to be in Madrid next season.
Jovic is still a big possibility, and I still wouldn't be surprised to see Pogba move there as well.

Oh, I certainly think all three are likely. The last could depend on how much of a stink Pogba makes and how much Real is willing to pay.

I just think with those moves, it would be closer than some think. A new manager will mean purchases for Barca.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Haha

My friend would never want to see Messi leave. He even said he would turn gay for him and find a way to have his babies. To him, Messi is a God and it's all Higuain's fault he hasn't done well with Argentina. During the latest World Cup I asked him "Is it Higuain's fault Messi missed a pk?" He didn't speak to me for about a week. I am telling you Messi fans are something else.
Lol that’s funny. But just to clear, my buddy here didn’t say wants to see Messi leave, just that he’s starting to wonder if it would be in Messi’s best interest to leave at this point in his career considering the “gong show in the front office doesn’t seem to be ending soon”.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
There are better coaches out there but I don't think it's the worst choice in the world, let's see how it goes, if he sucks he will be gone at the end of the year (or earlier if it's Lopetegui levels of failure)

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Apparently Ronald Koeman has also been linked to Barca and was asked about it a Dutch national team training session today to which he replied with a no comment.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Smart of Barca to keep Valverde because of how much the locker room is behind him. I'm not saying the guy deserves to keep his job but Barca's biggest problem is that they're not as good as they think they are. But it's otherwise good that they'd listen to the players like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad