Management Thread | The Song Remains the Same Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Yep. That's what I've been saying. They're barely any better at icing a team than Benning, yet are somehow managing a club more chaotically than him.

You think management would've thought about this before handing the guy $56M!

Meanwhile are franchise player and soon to be RFA gets put on the back burner.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
so the second the canucks finally make a move that frees cap we will use all of it just to extend kuzmenko.

yay.
JR: "Damn, we really don't have any cap space huh?"

JR: *signs JT Miller, Mikheyev, and Kuzmenko to large contracts*

JR: "I just really can't figure out why creating cap space is so hard!"

Meanwhile are franchise player and soon to be RFA gets put on the back burner.
I hope Petey just signs the QO and gets out of dodge. Deserves better than this sad-sack franchise.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i think pettersson will ultimately stay (because money talks and vancouver can offer more of it than anyone and will be highly motivated to not lose him) but it's going to be an incredibly acrimonious negotiation

Reactions: mossey3535

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004

I hope Petey just signs the QO and gets out of dodge. Deserves better than this sad-sack franchise.
Don't forget Boeser! I can somewhat understand JTM, Mikheyev and Kuzmenko to an extent, even though I don't agree with the JTM extension at all. But Brock...that one is a head scratcher for sure.

I guess they really expected it would be doable dumping Garland, Pearson and Myers last summer. Shocked that they thought that way, but that must be the rationale behind the BB6 extension.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Meanwhile, Horvat thinking: "Have you gone fecking mental"

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Don't forget Boeser! I can somewhat understand JTM, Mikheyev and Kuzmenko to an extent, even though I don't agree with the JTM extension at all. But Brock...that one is a head scratcher for sure.

I guess they really expected it would be doable dumping Garland, Pearson and Myers last summer. Shocked that they thought that way, but that must be the rationale behind the BB6 extension.
I'm not going to slag them for the Boeser contract. It was really the best realistic result they could have reached. They were left in a tough spot with Boeser.

It was basically sign that deal or let him go for nothing, which I don't think anyone seriously considered.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I'm not going to slag them for the Boeser contract. It was really the best realistic result they could have reached. They were left in a tough spot with Boeser.

It was basically sign that deal or let him go for nothing, which I don't think anyone seriously considered.
I think there are other players/contracts that should've been prioritized, as well as creating cap space before committing to BB6. There are also other options available to explore, it takes some creativities, but definitely would've put us in a much better spot comparing to what we have now, even if it means losing him for nothing last summer.

But that discussion has been beaten to death by now, so I won't pursue it any further. Just that for a team desperate to create cap space with their leading scorer and their captain to sign, getting BB6 done first seems like an odd choice, especially prior to freeing up cap space. This from a GM/POHO that make cap flexibility one of their priority no less.

Reactions: quat

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I think there are other players/contracts that should've been prioritized, as well as creating cap space before committing to BB6. There are also other options available to explore, it takes some creativities, but definitely would've put us in a much better spot comparing to what we have now, even if it means losing him for nothing last summer.

But that discussion has been beaten to death by now, so I won't pursue it any further. Just that for a team desperate to create cap space with their leading scorer and their captain to sign, getting BB6 done first seems like an odd choice, especially prior to freeing up cap space. This from a GM/POHO that make cap flexibility one of their priority no less.
Trust me, I get you. I was definitely one of the most vehement posters here in the summer advocating for them to aggressively clear cap space. JR's dementia-riddled brain can't reconcile that part of the reason he has no cap space is that he keeps adding significant cap commitments.

I just don't think the Boeser contract was a "mistake" given his contract status at the time. There are much worse mistakes to criticize them for.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
At some point considering the last ten years, the PR and media training teams for the Canucks need to be cleaned out. Both regimes have not communicated well...and sometimes not at all!

The PR teams are limited once the bosses start talking. You can't hide Benning's lack of verbal ability, JR's sniping. The PR at least trusts Allvin not to screw up, he's committing no errors but saying nothing inspirational either.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
looking forward. IF Tocchet is bought in to turn Miller from liability back into an asset, its actually a prudent move. preposterous to compare, but I dont think everyone in the locker room likes MacKinnon when they were losing. The fire is appreciated when its channeled correctly. When his play on the ice reflects how much he "cares". If Tocchet can do that, thats one way to recoup this particular mess they are in, keeping JTM and losing Horvat. I just have a feeling that Miller is very undercoached and is just a nightmare of emotions at his maturity level.

Related, EP's relationship with Miller is something that has to be fixed if there is indeed any misunderstanding. EP is the be all and end all right now. Management cannot be stupid enough to not see this and include him (and 43) in major personnel decisions. EP is EVERYTHING to this team.

lastly, looking forward, the organisation has to take a page/chapter out of Lou's playbook, if they indeed blamed Friedman on the leak leading to the messy coaching change, I dont doubt thats what happened, but FGS sweep your office for bugs or just learn to shut the * up to the media or force the parties on the other side of the phone to sign NDAs left and right to stop Vancouver leaks driving the Marek show and 32 thoughts. This is not f'in Carolina where no one cares. This is a management thread and I love the endless content I am privvy to get to discuss, but how much the leaks leading to broken relationships and failed deals are they going to endure?? If its FA leaking himself, lol, its time to retire from this clown organisation.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
miller has played for (and depending who you ask, been shipped out by at least one and maybe two of) john tortorella, alain vigneault and jon cooper. also travis green. none of them got through to him but rick tocchet is gonna be the guy who does? cmon

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
miller has played for (and depending who you ask, been shipped out by at least one and maybe two of) john tortorella, alain vigneault and jon cooper. also travis green. none of them got through to him but rick tocchet is gonna be the guy who does? cmon
What do you mean 'none of them got through to him'..?..Miller played well under Green, and Cooper

“I think he’s what we’ve been lacking, because we’ve had some skill on this team and some speed and we’ve gone far with it. But you look back to … some of these gruelling rounds and these gruelling series and you need those guys that can play heavy and he’s one of those guys that can do it,” Cooper said of Miller.

“Below the dots, in the corners, puck protecting, net-front, all those things that you need, he can do that,” Cooper continued. “He wins those puck battles. He’s one of the few guys that, you go in there against [Zdeno] Chara and he can stand up to him and you’re going to need that in these series. Who’s going to be able to go in on pucks with [Brooks] Orpik? Some of these bigger defenceman? Miller can do it. And the other thing is, he’s got enough skill and hockey sense to play with guys that have elite hockey sense and he’s just been a great fit for those guys.”..Jon Cooper on Miller , May ,2018..Sportsnet.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Miller's attitude is dependent on team success. When the team is playing well (Boudreau's surge last year), he is the team's biggest cheerleader. When it's struggling, he unhelpfully piles on and adds to the overall despondency.

So if you want to get through to Miller, just have the team play better and his mood will improve. Oh, and make sure he never gets near the C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad