Management Thread - The Beat Goes On

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You're right, it does, but even if it does, it would have to get better to the point where we would consider him a #2/#3 dman for that contract to be palatable. As is, a 5 million AAV could be seen as an overpay. Perhaps even 4.5m AAV.

It's interesting you bring up Tanev: If given the choice, would you give Tanev a 6m/5yr contract or Myers?
Either Benning/Wisebrod didn’t think ahead to the time Tanev becomes a UFA, when they signed Myers, or they did think about it, but decided (when the time comes) they won’t resign Tanev, and believed Myers to be the better player.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Either Benning/Wisebrod didn’t think ahead to the time Tanev becomes a UFA, when they signed Myers, or they did think about it, but decided (when the time comes) they won’t resign Tanev, and believed Myers to be the better player.
He's big and a was a highly touted player years ago!!! Therefore he must be better.

Reactions: Luckylarry

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Compliance buyouts we're always fan hopes and speculation, especially fans of teams with awful contracts. Unfortunately this team has several, all of which were easily predicted at the time or even beforehand!

But cap space doesn't matter and Benningbrod is building a playoffs bubble team contender!

Interesting the "cap space doesn't matter" crowd has mysteriously disappeared.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Interesting the "cap space doesn't matter" crowd has mysteriously disappeared.

The same crowd that usually comes around every July and boasts about the new signings and how awesome they will be.

Unfortunately some hard decisions will have to go down the next 2-4 years and management will have a shortened window to build around the core of Pettersson, Horvat and Hughes. I didn't include Boeser because I think he will be a cap casualty to make way for actual defensemen.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I wasn't really for or against Benning for the most part because there were some good signings and draft picks but also bad ones of each, but looking at the cap situation now worries me a lot. Whatever happens in the Wild play-in series, he needs to be let go and someone who is financially sound (Gilman?) needs to come in. Unfathomable that this team is in the cap hell it is over the coming seasons.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I wasn't really for or against Benning for the most part because there were some good signings and draft picks but also bad ones of each, but looking at the cap situation now worries me a lot. Whatever happens in the Wild play-in series, he needs to be let go and someone who is financially sound (Gilman?) needs to come in. Unfathomable that this team is in the cap hell it is over the coming seasons.

The Athletic had a recent "worst contracts in Canuck history" article. Benning signed 3 out of the top-5. If that isn't a stunning (but unsurprising) indictment, I'm not sure what is.

You can't have a general manager today that just has no concept of how to manage the salary cap. It's an automatic failure and a surefire way for the team to never be competitive. If he and Weisbrod want to scout, then be scouts. Let someone competent manage the team.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Reactions: Jack Burton

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah, there was a fair amount of smoke around this prior to Lucic being traded to Calgary for Neal. Lucic's contract is somehow even worse than Eriksson's, so bullet dodged on that front. But the Canucks seemed quite keen on it for a time.

As always, this is made into a big deal by some here. The Canucks considered making the trade with the idea that they would get a sweetener in return to take on Lucic's extra year. The Canucks should consider it and they did and decided against it.

Reactions: Sneezy

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
As always, this is made into a big deal by some here. The Canucks considered making the trade with the idea that they would get a sweetener in return to take on Lucic's extra year. The Canucks should consider it and they did and decided against it.

While I do agree that there is no harm in exploring such a situation, it apparently wasn't the Canucks who decided against it but rather Eriksson refusing to go to Edmonton.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
While I do agree that there is no harm in exploring such a situation, it apparently wasn't the Canucks who decided against it but rather Eriksson refusing to go to Edmonton.

This is how Johnston phrases it: "but he [Eriksson] nixed the move at the time". So no, it was not the Canucks management that decided against it.

Also, thanks for the links.

I haven't read through the articles yet, but to your knowledge, is this the first time we are learning that Eriksson halted the deal?

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
This is how Johnston phrases it: "but he [Eriksson] nixed the move at the time". So no, it was not the Canucks management that decided against it.

Also, many thanks for the links.

I haven't read through the articles yet, but to your knowledge, is this the first time we are learning that Eriksson halted the deal?

It is a bit vague when it happened but it appears the talks between the teams have been throughout the 18-19 season. I think Botch mentioned it a couple of times and the rumors went on until Lucic was dealt to Calgary.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sounds like the cap is gonna be flat at 81 million so let’s see what happens with the roster
To keep our UFAs Benning/Wisebrod are going to have to pay a very steep price in sweetener to dump Loui, Sutter, Bear, and Benn. Otherwise, we let better players walk to keep those four, which means we are a far worse team next season.
What will be the sweetener?
Picks, prospects, Demko, Gaudette, and (to a lesser degree) Virtanen.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
To keep our UFAs Benning/Wisebrod are going to have to pay a very steep price in sweetener to dump Loui, Sutter, Bear, and Benn. Otherwise, we let better players walk to keep those four, which means we are a far worse team next season.
He will, for sure, give up picks and prospects. That's what history tells us.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
No we really wont be as long as he re signs Markstrom.

I really feel Toffoli is a waste of cap space unless he signs a 3 x deal at around 5 or less. He only stepped in for Boeser anyways and we were already without Leivo also who was on pace for 43pts and 16 goals. And Pod is coming. He's a luxury and a poor skater and his compete has been questioned in LA. He's the definition of a high danger UFA player if overpaid for term. Not signing does not make us worse as he only played 10 games without Boeser and Leivo. If anything it keeps us from improving

Tanev is on a noticeable decline and has never been reliable through his prime. I highly doubt he suddenly becomes durable and gets back to the mobility and intensity that made him elite. I would try and get him and Markstrom to buy in and keep both but again if he wants 4 plus years and 5 million ish you have to walk away and go in a different direction. We also have the option of not re signing Stecher....i dont think Tanev is the loss he once would have been. Tryamkin will be a nice addition to off set some shut down minutes

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
No we really wont be as long as he re signs Markstrom.

I really feel Toffoli is a waste of cap space unless he signs a 3 x deal at around 5 or less. He only stepped in for Boeser anyways and we were already without Leivo also who was on pace for 43pts and 16 goals. And Pod is coming. He's a luxury and a poor skater and his compete has been questioned in LA. He's the definition of a high danger UFA player if overpaid for term. Not signing does not make us worse as he only played 10 games without Boeser and Leivo. If anything it keeps us from improving

Tanev is on a noticeable decline and has never been reliable through his prime. I highly doubt he suddenly becomes durable and gets back to the mobility and intensity that made him elite. I would try and get him and Markstrom to buy in and keep both but again if he wants 4 plus years and 5 million ish you have to walk away and go in a different direction. We also have the option of not re signing Stecher....i dont think Tanev is the loss he once would have been. Tryamkin will be a nice addition to off set some shut down minutes

That Toffoli trade was such a waste of assets. But that's what Benning does...

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Sounds like the cap is gonna be flat at 81 million so let’s see what happens with the roster

That Toffoli trade was such a waste of assets. But that's what Benning does...

My thoughts on Jim Benning and his current cap crunch
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

this is gonna be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad